• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Re: Super Jan Vertonghen Official

Doesn't look fully fit to me. Seems to have lost a yard of pace.

No reason to or need to sell him

I know I've posted stating I think he is off in summer, but still, I would make him captain for the rest of the season. It could give him a boost, and possibly take some weight off Dawson's shoulders. When Ledley was captain Dawson seemed a far better defender, I just dont know whether the captaincy has affected him or he has just had a complete turn round in form over the last few months

I agree.

Jan captained us against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, we looked motivated and good. Dawson comes back and captained two of the most lacklustre performances we've seen under Sherwood against Dnipro and Norwich. Coincidence? Almost certainly! But I would still give the armband to Vertonghen, at least if Kaboul returns to fitness we'll probably see that more often.

Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen hints at transfer switch if club fail to secure Champions League berth

Belgian defender Jan Vertonghen joins goalkeeper Hugo Lloris in suggesting he may look for employment elsewhere if Tottenham fail to secure a Champions League berth.

Jan Vertonghen has dropped a heavy hint he will consider his Tottenham future if the club miss out on Champions League football.

Tottenham fell six points behind fourth-placed Liverpool at the weekend after losing at relegation-threatened Norwich.

Head coach Tim Sherwood admitted it will now be difficult to make up ground on Liverpool and missing out on Champions League football could leave Spurs facing a battle to keep their stars.

Goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has already suggested he could look for a way out of White Hart Lane if Tottenham fail to secure a top-four place and Belgium international Vertonghen appears to be of a similar view.

Asked whether he will be happy to stay at Spurs with no Champions League football, defender Vertonghen said: “Those are always difficult questions. What I want is to play in the Champions League with Tottenham, so, hopefully, I will get there this year.

“I don’t complain about anything. Let’s see after the end of the season and after the World Cup.”

Tottenham have to play Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in March and Vertonghen admits he and his team-mates will have to improve considerably to stay in the race for a Champions League place.

“For me, the Norwich game was just not good enough and we need to raise up our game to compete with the other top teams,” said Vertonghen.

“Before, the defence was not doing well enough, which includes everybody, and now we are not scoring enough goals to bounce back from a 1-0 deficit after half-time or whatever. We need to start playing as a team more because individually we are good enough.

“We will need quite a few points from the games against Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. They are still competing for the title, so they will be tough games but we have shown we can beat the top teams.”

Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen hints at transfer switch if club fail to secure Champions League berth

Belgian defender Jan Vertonghen joins goalkeeper Hugo Lloris in suggesting he may look for employment elsewhere if Tottenham fail to secure a Champions League berth.

Jan Vertonghen has dropped a heavy hint he will consider his Tottenham future if the club miss out on Champions League football.

Tottenham fell six points behind fourth-placed Liverpool at the weekend after losing at relegation-threatened Norwich.

Head coach Tim Sherwood admitted it will now be difficult to make up ground on Liverpool and missing out on Champions League football could leave Spurs facing a battle to keep their stars.

Goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has already suggested he could look for a way out of White Hart Lane if Tottenham fail to secure a top-four place and Belgium international Vertonghen appears to be of a similar view.

Asked whether he will be happy to stay at Spurs with no Champions League football, defender Vertonghen said: “Those are always difficult questions. What I want is to play in the Champions League with Tottenham, so, hopefully, I will get there this year.

“I don’t complain about anything. Let’s see after the end of the season and after the World Cup.”

Tottenham have to play Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in March and Vertonghen admits he and his team-mates will have to improve considerably to stay in the race for a Champions League place.

“For me, the Norwich game was just not good enough and we need to raise up our game to compete with the other top teams,” said Vertonghen.

“Before, the defence was not doing well enough, which includes everybody, and now we are not scoring enough goals to bounce back from a 1-0 deficit after half-time or whatever. We need to start playing as a team more because individually we are good enough.

“We will need quite a few points from the games against Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. They are still competing for the title, so they will be tough games but we have shown we can beat the top teams.”

The sun is in the sky there's is blossom about and it starts...

No champions league football a suitor a big bid ,profit to be made Levy smiles bye bye Jan and Hugo .

The sun is in the sky there's is blossom about and it starts...

No champions league football a suitor a big bid ,profit to be made Levy smiles bye bye Jan and Hugo .

And hello Jack Butland and some Italian defender nobody has heard of

And hello Jack Butland and some Italian defender nobody has heard of

Back to square one. Again.

Que another transitional season before new players get better, we knock on the top four door again, we play badly for a little while, manager gets sacked/star player(s) throws a fit, turmoil, star player(s) and/or manager out...aaaaaaaand repeat.

Other than Champions League football perhaps the appointment of Frank de Boer might keep him at the Lane, but along with Lloris and possibly Paulinho I can see him looking to move on come the Summer.

I think we bought Chirches in the knowledge that this would be Verts' last season. They are too similar to ever be a pairing.

They are similar so as to build a squad. Two ball playing Centre backs and two Strong centre backs who are good in the air and good in the tackle. Kaboul - Vertonghen & Dawson - Chiriches.

but along with Lloris and possibly Paulinho I can see him looking to move on come the Summer.

Hugo, Vertonghen and Paulinhio can all go if they want. Paulinhio has been average at best. Vertonghen looks like he is now playing half hearted and Hugo is a top keeper but can be replaced.

25m for Paulinhio. 25m for Vertonghen and 20m for Hugo. Replace with Begovic or Stekelenberg for 8-9m. Dont replace Pualinhio and get another Centre back. 50m plus in the bank.

My view on Vertonghen is he's that super bright kid in school that coasts through without having to put any work in but doesnt get the results he should do.

He's top quality and he knows it but thinks he can sleep through games and pull out match saving tackles without concentrating.
He was shown up on thursday for exactly this type of lazyness.

I've no idea how you motivate him as I feel he thinks football is beneath him. That sheepish "what the **** am I doing with my life" look he give the opposition crowd as he nearly tumbled into them trying to keep ball in. That "why the **** am I working with these idiots" reaction he was to Kyle Walker's Halloween prank video.

I don't think it's all that bad.

He's showing a lot of frustration, to me he looks like a man who won't stand for this kind of a performance, one way or another he won't spend his career with a team like that. Made longer posts about it in the "defence next season" and ratings thread, but I think his attitude can be turned to something positive.

I agree, think its flavour of the month to say he has given up on us and people are seeing things which aren't there. I actually think he was good on Saturday and was making plenty of sliding tackles and interceptions which aren't the first sign of a disenchanted player.

Oooh, Levy likes this plan.

Im in favour of this plan now as well. Lets just get money in and make a profit until we can pay for our own stadium. Then once we have the increased revenue from that we can challenge. Sounds completely daft i know, but i think im so fed up with players not working out no matter how much we spend and managers changing it every season over and over that I just want us to get into a place where we are getting higher revenue so we can compete properly.

My view on Vertonghen is he's that super bright kid in school that coasts through without having to put any work in but doesnt get the results he should do.

He's top quality and he knows it but thinks he can sleep through games and pull out match saving tackles without concentrating.
He was shown up on thursday for exactly this type of lazyness.

I've no idea how you motivate him as I feel he thinks football is beneath him. That sheepish "what the **** am I doing with my life" look he give the opposition crowd as he nearly tumbled into them trying to keep ball in. That "why the **** am I working with these idiots" reaction he was to Kyle Walker's Halloween prank video.

I absolutely, wholeheartedly agree with this post, particularly the boldface...

Yeah, he seems disinterested far too often. Great talent, but poor poor attitude when he can go out and claim something like that. **** all those egocentric bastards, are we a football team or are we not? If he's not interested in playing for Tottenham, then he can **** right off, wear our jersey with pride and give the 110% needed or go somewhere else. I can't believe this ****.

Just to re-iterate - Verts is a fantastic talent, on a good day one of our absolute best players, but far too often he looks disinterested in playing, lazy and blaming everyone else for everything. Poor attitude on the lad - don't think I've ever seen the lad smile.

...along with Lloris and possibly Paulinho I can see him looking to move on come the Summer.

I agree and think you can add Sandro, Capoue and Lamela to the list of those loitering near the exit come the summer window.

Back