• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Re: Jan Vertonghen official

Reading an article about Vertonghen and I'm pleased to see that he isn't injury prone. In the article taken from http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-hotspurs-new-signing-adds-to-the-team/page/3 it says that he only missed 18 games out of the past 170 for Ajax, not bad. The article also praises his aerial ability, great passing skills and a winning mentality, all those combined he was a bargain for a fee of £9.6m even if that is the highest fee that our club has paid out for a defender.

Astonishing considering Hoddle paid a whopping £8.1m for the remarkably ordinary Dean Richards all of 11 years ago (I just looked it up). Adjusted for inflation that must translate into £10m+ now?

Reading an article about Vertonghen and I'm pleased to see that he isn't injury prone. In the article taken from http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-hotspurs-new-signing-adds-to-the-team/page/3 it says that he only missed 18 games out of the past 170 for Ajax, not bad. The article also praises his aerial ability, great passing skills and a winning mentality, all those combined he was a bargain for a fee of £9.6m even if that is the highest fee that our club has paid out for a defender.

Astonishing considering Hoddle paid a whopping £8.1m for the remarkably ordinary Dean Richards all of 11 years ago. Adjusted for inflation that translates into £11m+ now (I just looked it up!)

Astonishing considering Hoddle paid a whopping £8.1m for the remarkably ordinary Dean Richards all of 11 years ago (I just looked it up). Adjusted for inflation that must translate into £10m+ now?

But imagine what £8.1m would be by TODAYS standards. That's a £25m signing right there!

What I really liked, apart from his obvious technical quality, was yesterday when he broke forward to lay it perfectly to Bale, he then dropped into position where Bale should have given him a tap in. You could see when the goal was scored he was torn between celebrating the goal and giving Bale a rollocking for his poor decision making, it is that quality which marks him out as future captain (assuming his performances continue to flourish).

Awesome promise.

Personally, I dont think that Dembele is adding much less than Modric did. Just a shame that he missed hte first two and a half games. The combination of Dembele's close control and his strength makes him an incredibly difficult man to dispossess. He probably keeps play ticking over less well than Modric did but adds more in terms of drive from midfield.

Our real issue this season has been that the one playing off the CF (ie mainly Siggy but partially Dempsey) has yet to contribute anything at all

There is absolutely no doubt that Dembele possesses some insane skill and has shown great promise, but in what they add to the team overall there is no contest for me at least. Modric was an expert in spotting and including teammates and starting attacks while constantly being available, while Dembele mostly makes his own runs with the ball, passes A LOT sideways, and can go missing. This can and hopefully will be improved upon with time, but at present he is still in the mold. He is for me, at least up until now, a very very good Jenas. Which in itself is no bad thing at all. But to fully utilize our attack, we need providers. Which he so far has some catching up to do to be really useful.

But he is, as you say, nigh on impossible to dispossess with the ball and has got some engine in him! I have hopes for this fella, as long as we don't see him as a playmaker, which I think he'll never be.

There is absolutely no doubt that Dembele possesses some insane skill and has shown great promise, but in what they add to the team overall there is no contest for me at least. Modric was an expert in spotting and including teammates and starting attacks while constantly being available, while Dembele mostly makes his own runs with the ball, passes A LOT sideways, and can go missing. This can and hopefully will be improved upon with time, but at present he is still in the mold. He is for me, at least up until now, a very very good Jenas. Which in itself is no bad thing at all. But to fully utilize our attack, we need providers. Which he so far has some catching up to do to be really useful.

But he is, as you say, nigh on impossible to dispossess with the ball and has got some engine in him! I have hopes for this fella, as long as we don't see him as a playmaker, which I think he'll never be.

Probably unfair to say, as Dembele came from a Premiership team, but he is much more effective than when Modric first came to us. I would expect a much quicker rise in status and we'll know by Christmas if he really is capable of taking up the slack left by Modric I reckon.

Watched the extended highlights on Sky last night, and was mightily impressed by Vertonghen's performance. As a CB, he was more about keeping it tidy...but there did seem to be some communication/expectation problems with Gallas. I don't think Bale at LB helped in the first half.

Second half, Verts was immense at LB. He just shifted gear, and looked more like a wingback at times than "a central defender who can play out wide". He seems to have an instinctive reading of the game that means he's always at the right place at the right time. For that absolute hero tackle, I'll bet he started caning it towards Zamora even before Caulker and Gallas managed to make a hash of things.

Whoever made the point that Verts could be the new Ledley, while Caulker could become the next Scumball, was spot on IMHO.

I have to say I do like him at Left Back. He brings the ball out very well and also sweeps round to cover the centre halves at every opportunity he can. You can see he has been taught very well during his impressionable years at Ajax and that proves the point of enforcing good habits at that age and helping them form a permanant feature within a player's character and attributes.

Second half, Verts was immense at LB. He just shifted gear, and looked more like a wingback at times than "a central defender who can play out wide". He seems to have an instinctive reading of the game that means he's always at the right place at the right time. For that absolute hero tackle, I'll bet he started caning it towards Zamora even before Caulker and Gallas managed to make a hash of things.

I watched it back on MOTD2 and they played an angle where you can see Vertongen anticipate Zamora receiving the ball a long time before the pass is, he's absolutely chipping towards him by the time the ball is passed having started probably 15yds away

In the game against QPR Dembele made 43 passes (whoscored.com), Modric sometimes got around 100 and almost always got 60+, often somewhere in between those numbers. He made us tick, so far Dembele hasn't done that. He offers a lot that Modric didn't, but I still miss someone to take charge of the ball in the centre.

Watched the extended highlights on Sky last night, and was mightily impressed by Vertonghen's performance. As a CB, he was more about keeping it tidy...but there did seem to be some communication/expectation problems with Gallas. I don't think Bale at LB helped in the first half.

Whoever made the point that Verts could be the new Ledley, while Caulker could become the next Scumball, was spot on IMHO.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Sacrilege! Scumball is not worthy to be named in the same breath as Caulker.

What I really liked, apart from his obvious technical quality, was yesterday when he broke forward to lay it perfectly to Bale, he then dropped into position where Bale should have given him a tap in. You could see when the goal was scored he was torn between celebrating the goal and giving Bale a rollocking for his poor decision making, it is that quality which marks him out as future captain (assuming his performances continue to flourish).

Awesome promise.

I noticed that

We already have the replacement, our best defender last season seems to have been forgotten already

Jan Vertonghen loving life at Tottenham Hotspur since move to Premier League from Ajax

Jan Vertonghen says he is loving life at White Hart Lane but admits he will probably need a long holiday once the season is over, as he adapts to the intensity of the Premier League.

The Belgian defender has been impressive since moving from Ajax in the summer, and although Tottenham have made a slow start to life under Andre Villas-Boas, Vertonghen has no regrets about stepping up to the Premier League.

“I think at the end of the season I will need a good vacation! But no, I love it here," he said after helping Spurs beat QPR on Sunday.

"The atmosphere is amazing. There are the best players in the world and we have an amazing team so I am very happy I made this decision."

Tottenham had to come from behind, with Villas-Boas making a successful tactical switch after his players were booed off by their own fans at half-time again.

“It’s frustrating when you can’t play your own game so I understand the supporters. We want to dominate at home and away so the supporters expect that from us,” said Vertonghen.

After Spurs visit Carlisle in the Capital One Cup on Wednesday, they face a tough test away to Manchester United at the weekend.

Vertonghen is relishing it. “I played at Old Trafford with Ajax last year and it’s an amazing atmosphere. I am looking forward to my first game there with Tottenham and I think we are strong enough to do some good things there. Confidence is high now.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/9563640/Jan-Vertonghen-loving-life-at-Tottenham-Hotspur-since-move-to-Premier-League-from-Ajax.html

Probably unfair to say, as Dembele came from a Premiership team, but he is much more effective than when Modric first came to us. I would expect a much quicker rise in status and we'll know by Christmas if he really is capable of taking up the slack left by Modric I reckon.

That may very well be true (being more effective than Modric in the beginning), and I must emphazise that I like Dembele a lot. But the point being that I won't hold my breath waiting for him to be our next playmaker, let alone in the mold of Modric. I don't think he has the skillset necessary, which Modric already showed at the ripe age of 22. But that doesn't mean he can't be useful, just in another role. I should mention that in fairness he hasn't been employed in that role either, it's maybe some of us fans expecting him to be as such since he fills the "vacant spot" after Luka.

But from what I've seen the last seasons, the way we set up our team (under Harry, mind) relies heavily upon a playmaker, recycling possession and setting up lightning fast attacks. Because in an extremely uneducated guess, we have failed in 82,7% of our attempts the last 5 seasons to break teams down playing "regular football", whether it is against Manchester United or Shamrock. Which I why I reckon we were a joy to watch when successful, but struggled against teams sitting back, and maybe being a little bit easily "found out". So a new setup is required, which we now see in the budding (I hope). That's why I'm reluctant to take a stand regarding formations for 2012-13, as much of it is based on last seasons' parameters. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

In the game against QPR Dembele made 43 passes (whoscored.com), Modric sometimes got around 100 and almost always got 60+, often somewhere in between those numbers. He made us tick, so far Dembele hasn't done that. He offers a lot that Modric didn't, but I still miss someone to take charge of the ball in the centre.

I absolutely agree, maybe getting Parker back will free up some space for him to exploit, with Parker staying behind. Anyway, this may be the wrong thread to discuss Dembele anymore - how about that Vertongen lad, looks useful :)

Back