• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Fair enough. We havent had a settled centre back combination in so long.
Its why I'm against us having a bunch of average centre halfs without any of them being outstanding.
We are never gonna get consistent starters.

I hear you. Still, there's something to be said for the whole outweighing the sum of its parts. Our philosophy, after all, is based on that idea: for how else are we supposed to compete at the top with inferior players in every position to the top teams? :p

I hear you. Still, there's something to be said for the whole outweighing the sum of its parts. Our philosophy, after all, is based on that idea: for how else are we supposed to compete at the top with inferior players in every position to the top teams? :p

Pay top wage for real quality first teamers and fill the rest with young players with real potential. Our second string was probably being paid more than our first team last season.

Pay top wage for real quality first teamers and fill the rest with young players with real potential. Our second string was probably being paid more than our first team last season.

Screen+Shot+2013-08-28+at+12.15.28+PM.png

Don't mean to sound rude but why is that interesting if true? Would you expect us not to try and extend the contract of a first team regular who is entering his prime?
Of course I'd expect us to try and extend his contract. But over the past year there have been questions about whether he would be renewing his contract; talk of Man Utd being interested in buying him; talk of a move to Spain.

So I think that article I linked to - with it's confirmation that we have taken up the option on another two years, along with the claim that we might be extending beyond even then is... "interesting". Don't expect everyone else to find it interesting I suppose, but I imagine a few others around here will do. Sorry if you're not among them.

Of course I'd expect us to try and extend his contract. But over the past year there have been questions about whether he would be renewing his contract; talk of Man Utd being interested in buying him; talk of a move to Spain.

So I think that article I linked to - with it's confirmation that we have taken up the option on another two years, along with the claim that we might be extending beyond even then is... "interesting". Don't expect everyone else to find it interesting I suppose, but I imagine a few others around here will do. Sorry if you're not among them.
But regardless of whether Verts wants to renew,it's us exercising the right to extend it isn't it? And whether other clubs are sniffing around him or not, that isn't going to stop us extending an option we have to maximise his value. Like I said, wasn't trying to sound rude - just see it as a standard thing done by the club. We have exercised these kind of options in the past on players we have no intention of keeping...

a mate just said he read on twitter that Valencia are looking at Vertonghen to replace Otamendi

so, sell Verts, keep Fazio? (anyway he is way more effective in the left side centre half position)

Typical Vertonghen performance today. When he leaves the club my abiding image of him will be him looking round after a fudge up with the it wasn't my fault expression. He's like that guy in meetings that blames everything on another department.

Back