• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

Wasn't Davies forced to challenge for a header with Verts man before they scored?

And if Vertz had not backed off mahrez time and time again and gave him 2 yards of space inside the area, we would have been fine.

Also, why was Verts at the front post marking the same player toby was when hugo had to make that stop on the line? Our defence has been tinkle poor for a while and its no coincidence that we change defenders every year but verts is an ever present. Maybe we should drop him and see how we do.

Wasn't Davies forced to challenge for a header with Verts man before they scored?

And if Vertz had not backed off mahrez time and time again and gave him 2 yards of space inside the area, we would have been fine.
Do you really want your centre half to be pulling out wide left to try to win a header leaving a huge hole in the middle?.... even if he wins it he has then left a huge hole in the centre that the opposition could exploit if they get on the second ball. There was nothing wrong with Vertonghen's positioning there, the problem came because Davies got beat in the air by Vardy and Chadli decided that despite us being 1-0 up with 8 minutes of normal time remaining it wasn't his job to help his left back defensively.

I thought Vertonghen could've done a bit better when Mahrez was running at him, but he did the right thing in terms of showing him the inside, which is what you are coached as a defensive player, usually when you do that a second player has pulled across to ensure a clear shot cannot be taken. I think that is what Vertonghen was so tinkled off about as that hadn't happened.

Leicester's goal was evidence of a badly coached/drilled team - and that is what disappoints me most.

Last edited:
Do you really want your centre half to be pulling out wide left to try to win a header leaving a huge hole in the middle?.... even if he wins it he has then left a huge hole in the centre that the opposition could exploit if they get on the second ball. There was nothing wrong with Vertonghen's positioning there, the problem came because Davies got beat in the air by Vardy and Chadli decided that despite us being 1-0 up with 8 minutes of normal time remaining it wasn't his job to help his left back defensively.

I thought Vertonghen could've done a bit better when Mahrez was running at him, but he did the right thing in terms of showing him the inside, which is what you are coached as a defensive player, usually when you do that a second player has pulled across to ensure a clear shot cannot be taken. I think that is what Vertonghen was so tinkleed off about as that hadn't happened.

Leicester's goal was evidence of a badly coached/drilled team - and that is what disappoints me most.
Or a young, inexperienced team who switched off after we scored. I think it was Alan Hansen who said " the most dangerous time for a team is just after we scored" that's probably why Poch was so tinkled off. I agree about Chadli's lack of effort too. Btw Kane looked fooking knackered just after we scored.

I thought Vertonghen could've done a bit better when Mahrez was running at him, but he did the right thing in terms of showing him the inside, which is what you are coached as a defensive player, usually when you do that a second player has pulled across to ensure a clear shot cannot be taken. I think that is what Vertonghen was so tinkleed off about as that hadn't happened.

You do not show someone to the outside when they are inside the box at an angle they can easily get a shot away. If verts had show him onto his right foot then it will would have closed down the angle and hugo would have had more of a chance at saving at his near post but verts couldn't do that because he was always 2 yards off him when he came into the box. He done it twice against mahrez and twice it led to similar chances.

I like Davies and I think he could be a good player but he was poor yesterday and the number of times Jan was left exposed by him was a lot. It seems to me that there are some who have never rated Jan ( who imo when at his best is the best CB at the club), I am waiting for someone to mention that old crock of brick " his body language" is all wrong and proves he does not want to be here. :p

I always remember that Chelsea match where he slipped and let Eto'o run with the ball and score. I lost all desire to see him play after that.

No CL team will touch him based on his form over the last season and a half.. Believes his own hype, needs a serious reality check.

No CL team will touch him based on his form over the last season and a half.. Believes his own hype, needs a serious reality check.

Don't blame Vertonghen entirely. He was very good under AVB. Defenders tends to play much better under defensive-minded managers. But when the manager is clueless about defending, the form of the defenders go down badly.

Don't blame Vertonghen entirely. He was very good under AVB. Defenders tends to play much better under defensive-minded managers. But when the manager is clueless about defending, the form of the defenders go down badly.

That is making excuses for him - his defending has been limp!

I'm bumping this thread because I think Vertonghen deserves credit for his performances this season. People are quick to criticise him when he isn't playing well, and I have been one of the critics, but so far this season he has been very solid. It helps him that we are playing more defensively this season and that he therefore gets more protection from the midfield, but he looks focused at all times now and is putting in good performances. The partnership with Alderweireld looks very promising.

Yea he's looking good, hoping he'll have another look at signing a contract extension. It's a nice feeling knowing who our best two centre backs are and actually being able to pair them on a regular basis.

I have always been a fan and think he is the best CB at the club, always made me laugh to here the body language experts slag him off in the past.

He has a swagger and arrogance that come great players have

I'm also sure he will sign a contract now as he feels more important and settled

I've not seen much of this lad, but the general view on here strikes me as being overly positive about him. He sounds like a proto-King, of a sort. And I really, really want to support us signing him. But I can't. We've got Caulker coming back next season, and he's one of our best prospects for quite a while. And I still trust Kaboul, despite his shocker today. So no, I don't think we should go for this lad. I have faith in our CBs.
It's really funny look back at some of the earlier comments in threads :p

To be fair he was poor the last 2 seasons and lost his focus/concentration. Would like him to get a few more goal, I remember in his first season he scored quite a few.

Back