• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I have to say today typifies why I am not keen on goalkeeper captains as brilliant a player as Lloris is. We needed someone on the pitch to go to Lamela and put there arm round him and say" you are doing great Erik, but stay on your feet stay on your feet."

Would agree with that, never been a fan of keepers being made captain as they are usually too far away from the play to be of use.

As for Lamela he again showed what a worker he is and I understand why Poch took him off ( after his yellow card) but I cant help thinking that if he had stayed on Ozil may not have had the space he was given to provide the cross for their goal.

Yeah, probably the stats aren't entirely accurate. And as always it's going to be a question of definition what is included and what isn't.

Like most stats they can be used to push a point the user wants to make but generally they do not tell the full story.

I thought (wanted) he was done after he came on against Stoke, the subs that day completely swung the game in their favour and being in the stadium, I thought the crowd had truly seen enough of him. But he has improved to his credit. I would still like to see more end product after he has beaten a man for example and then needs to play the final killer pass but baby steps, despite his assist stats last season, I felt he was underwhelming for the most part. If the season ended today I would already say he's contributed more than he did last campaign. He's making it hard for Poch to leave him out.

I thought (wanted) he was done after he came on against Stoke, the subs that day completely swung the game in their favour and being in the stadium, I thought the crowd had truly seen enough of him. But he has improved to his credit. I would still like to see more end product after he has beaten a man for example and then needs to play the final killer pass but baby steps, despite his assist stats last season, I felt he was underwhelming for the most part. If the season ended today I would already say he's contributed more than he did last campaign. He's making it hard for Poch to leave him out.

I agree, I actually gave up on him as a player in the Stoke game.

He has improved, and yes, I think his impact this season already outweighs last. And we really don't have another option in his place (believe he and Walker are actually working well together, something not a lot of people touch on)

I suspect sometime in the next few months (or next season) we will see a brilliant performance from Lamela where he actually destroys a side, and we won't be able to point out where/when he made that final step up (it would have been so gradual).

This image perfectly sums up Lamela's battle with Debuchy on Sunday

Lamela1.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur winger Erik Lamela had a game to remember for all the right reasons on Sunday when he put in a brilliant showing against Arsenal in the latest North London derby.

Goals from Tottenham’s Harry Kane and Arsenal’s Kieran Gibbs ensured it was a point apiece in a 1-1 draw but Spurs can feel unlucky not to have taken all three points, with Lamela finally living up to his considerable potential.

With the Gunners’ regular right-back Hector Bellerin out injured, French international Mathieu Debuchy replaced him in the starting line-up and the latter was given no chance to settle when Lamela switched to his wing.

The 23-year-old Argentine international has finally started looking like the player Tottenham thought they had paid big-money for when he initially arrived from AS Roma, and Debuchy will not want to relive the afternoon he had at the Emirates Stadium any time soon.

The former Saudi Sportswashing Machine player arrived at Arsenal looking to be the club’s first-choice right-back but that role now belongs firmly to Bellerin and on this evidence that is how it will stay.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/11/0...-sums-up-lamelas-battle-with-debuchy-on-sund/

-------------------------------------------------------

I think Lamela is now a striker+midfielder+defender rolled into one ! He can create, score and tackle as good as any defender as well. Maybe he can play as a goalie too if required ! He was superb against Arsenal tackling all the Arsenal players everywhere. It was funny the way he tackled the Arsenal goalie Cech and robbed the ball from him but too bad Kane was not very alert of the free ball. Thought it was harsh for the ref to give him a yellow card as his tackle was not that bad. Too bad it was his 5th yellow card this season which means he will be suspended against West Ham. We are going to miss him badly in that match.

Last edited:
With Augero, Messi, Tevez and Pastore out injured, I guess Erik will play his part against Brazil tonight. Kick off at midnight UK time :)

Called off due to downpour of rain in buenos aires, he gets a rest!

Someone has jinxed the Argentina-Brazil game it seems. Lamela has been in great form for us that it will be criminal if the Argentina coach decides not to start him again. Argentina has been in shyte form with or without Messi in recent matches that players like Lamela deserves to start.

Someone has jinxed the
Argentina-Brazil game it seems. Lamela has been in great form for us that it will be criminal if the Argentina coach decides not to start him again. Argentina has been in shyte form with or without Messi in recent matches that players like Lamela deserves to start.

To be fair to the Argentinians, if they don't rate Lamela all that much it would put them in excellent company with Spurs fans.

As it was Lamela has been called up to the Argentinian national team quite regularly even when he's been struggling for us so at least their international management rate him just fine I think, regardless of if he starts against Brazil or not.

Lamela's work rate this season has been great and he is not losing the ball so much, but I find it unacceptable that a player of his age and experience is so one footed. Anyone who has seen our development teams will tell you virtually all the players are comfortable using either foot and I hope we can coach him to improve this fault.

Lamela's work rate this season has been great and he is not losing the ball so much, but I find it unacceptable that a player of his age and experience is so one footed. Anyone who has seen our development teams will tell you virtually all the players are comfortable using either foot and I hope we can coach him to improve this fault.

Really? there are quite a few great players past and present who are quite one footed.

The biggest issue with one footed players is in their head, the tendency to be predictable (i.e. roll to strong side), that is something that can quite easily trained out of them, trying to make them two footed late in career, not soo much.

Really? there are quite a few great players past and present who are quite one footed.

The biggest issue with one footed players is in their head, the tendency to be predictable (i.e. roll to strong side), that is something that can quite easily trained out of them, trying to make them two footed late in career, not soo much.

I'm not talking about the past I'm concerned with the present highly paid football players in the modern game, any decent professional sportsman can improve his technique and should be looking to do so. An hour a day practicing using the weaker foot and balance will make improvements and give a player the confidence to try it in games. He has made progress this season but there is room for much more, the goal against Emirates Marketing Project was a classic case of his unwillingness to use his right foot and he got lucky. Like most of our fans I want him to be a big player for us and this would increase his effectiveness for us.

I'm not talking about the past I'm concerned with the present highly paid football players in the modern game, any decent professional sportsman can improve his technique and should be looking to do so. An hour a day practicing using the weaker foot and balance will make improvements and give a player the confidence to try it in games. He has made progress this season but there is room for much more, the goal against Emirates Marketing Project was a classic case of his unwillingness to use his right foot and he got lucky. Like most of our fans I want him to be a big player for us and this would increase his effectiveness for us.
Also known as good.

Back