• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Regardless of shots on goal that the opposition fashion against us, are you saying that during most of those two games WE were actually on the backfoot?

Sunderland were marginally the better side and it was our worst performance of the season

Palace he created 4 chances apparently which lead to nothing but it was generally an efficient team performance

How many top players have more than a fleeting moment of magic against a determined bus parking team? Even Bale only had one, maybe two per match when the opponent sat like that.

All attacking players, even the best, will be mostly nullified by a determinedly parked bus - that's why teams do it.

I agree with the sentiment but Arsenal do it regularly. Chelsea did it fine too. Its not just Lamella who needs to step up in the games its the whole creative side.

Bale in his last 2 seasons would hits a screamer regular against the sides that won the game or forced the opposition to attack.

It was very unselfish of Lamela to pass to Kane for our 3rd goal against Villa. But maybe he should have tried to score himself. For all his work rate and skills, I think he needs to score more goals for us.
???? He had a completely unmarked player square of him positioned on his own in the middle of the goal with no players around him. If he hadn't played that pass it would've been shocking (I actually thought the pass was hit just a little behind Kane, which made his finish more difficult)

Erik Lamela in form for Tottenham: Argentine rewarding fans' patience
Last Updated: 04/11/15 10:13pm

erik-lamela-tottenham_3372287.jpg

Erik Lamela is proving to be a growing influence for Tottenham
Tottenham's record signing has tested fans' patience, but Erik Lamela is finally finding his form. Adam Bate examines his improvement...

Roma's owner was still crowing about it in the summer. At a press conference in June, James Pallotta claimed to have met an unspecified member of Tottenham's hierarchy at a party in Sardinia who "still couldn't come to terms with the deal" that was done in paying over £25m for Erik Lamela.

Spurs' solid defence
How Tottenham's quiet progress has been built on solid defensive foundations.

Many Spurs supporters would have felt the same way and it was interesting to hear Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher argue last week that with every player he worked with at Liverpool, it was apparent within a matter of months whether or not they would be able to make the transition.

There was even speculation about a summer exit for Lamela well into August with his obvious potential seemingly unlikely to be fulfilled in a Spurs shirt. That would have been regrettable as there has been sympathy for the challenges the young Argentine has faced on and off the pitch.

"English football is much more physical while the game is more tactical in Italy," said Lamela back in his first season in the Premier League. Mauricio Pochettino has since agreed that the move from Italy to England can be tougher than other leagues such as France because of these differences.

tottenham-manchester-city-erik-lamela-mauricio-pochettino_3372434.jpg

After two seasons at Tottenham, now is the moment for him. Not to put pressure, but it's true. It's a key moment for him to develop and to move on his game.
Mauricio Pochettino on Erik Lamela

The adjustment is cultural as well as tactical. Ex-Spurs boss Andre Villas Boas cited language difficulties as an issue for Lamela in those early months, while Kyle Walker admitted he'd struggled to settle after arriving from Sheffield let alone Buenos Aires via Rome.

But the patience couldn't last forever. A response was needed. "I think this is a key season for him," said Pochettino. "After two seasons at Tottenham, now is the moment for him. Not to put pressure, but it's true. It's a key moment for him to develop and to move on his game. It's important."

Lamela has delivered that improvement. There was the pass to Ryan Mason that carved open the Sunderland defence for Spurs' late winner at the Stadium of Light. There was the possession he won on the edge of his own area to spark the counter-attack for Son Heung-Min's winner against Crystal Palace.

harry-kane-erik-lamela-tottenham-aston-villa_3372150.jpg

Lamela provided the assist for Harry Kane's late goal against Aston Villa
He has scored twice too recently - against Emirates Marketing Project and Bournemouth - to match his tally from his previous 47 Premier League games, and on Monday night against Aston Villa, it was his measured pass that provided the assist for Harry Kane's nerve-settling final goal.

The way Lamela finished that game, scrapping for the ball in the final third to relieve the pressure on his side, was particularly encouraging. He's now prepared to be the team's decisive player. The chance laid on for Kane was the 24th he has fashioned this season, only one behind Christian Eriksen.

That puts him among the top 10 most creative players in the Premier League and the trajectory is going in the right direction. In his first season at Spurs, Lamela created 1.6 openings per 90 minutes. Last season it was 2.3. Now he's up at 3.4 chances per game, a rate bettered by only a handful of players in the country.

erik-lamela-tottenham-premier-league-stats_3372418.jpg

Lamela's creativity has improved during his time with Tottenham
He's done so by embracing Pochettino's approach. Lamela is no luxury. Against Villa, he covered more ground (12.55 kilometres) than any other player on the pitch and there is an intensity to his work too.

In the win over Palace, his total of 70 sprints was the most of any player. Against City, he upped that to 71. "He worked hard for the team up and down the pitch," said Kane of Lamela's efforts that day. "We had the higher press, we were relentless in our running and that's what we've been doing to teams this season."

Lamela's role in that pressing and the defensive contribution he makes shouldn't be overlooked. He makes more tackles and interceptions than any of his fellow attacking midfielders at the club. Pochettino is delighted. "It is good for him and good for us that he is starting to show his real talent and his real quality," he said last month.

erik-lamela-tottenham-premier-league_3372415.jpg

Tackles and interceptions per 90 minutes for Spurs' attacking midfielders
"Right now in his mind he is ready to deliver and I think that we can only help him to give an opportunity to show. Lamela is still young, and sometimes you need to create a good dynamic in the team and around the training ground to help some players."

Pochettino has certainly done that and the reference to Lamela's age is a pointed one. The Spurs boss has been praised for the way in which he has brought through young talent at the club but given the Argentine's status as the club's record signing, he is rarely included in that group of players.

However, Lamela is younger than both Andros Townsend and Ryan Mason. In fact, he's only two months older than Tom Carroll. And so, despite the early promise at Roma, it's not unfathomable that Lamela is still learning and his best form is still to come.

With that in mind, Tottenham's owner might just be looking forward to his next run-in with Roma's James Pallotta rather more than his last.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ttenham-argentine-rewarding-fans8217-patience

-------------------------------------------------

Lamela is easily one of our best players this season. He has 4 goals and 3 assists so far which is a good return. I think he can be our secret weapon against big teams like Ar5ena1 as he is still not being rated as highly as Eriksen or Kane.
It is certainly difficult to argue with those stats....

I have also just seen the 0.3 tackles per game for Chadli?... That is shocking!

I saw this too and wondered if it was accurate. That means it takes him 4 games before he gets a tackle in!

Because he doesn't track back at all

He is a lazy git when it comes to defending but it does help him get involved in the attcks quicker

How is Ottamendi top of any list... he wasn't good vs us and he hasn't been great since he came in. Id hazard a guess and say they have conceded more since he started playing for them

To be fair i think Ottamendi is rated well in Europe (not Emirates Marketing Project pricetag well lol) and we on that day made ALL of City's defence look like mugs.
He's been getting progressively better after a mediocre start imo

To be fair i think Ottamendi is rated well in Europe (not Emirates Marketing Project pricetag well lol) and we on that day made ALL of City's defence look like mugs.
He's been getting progressively better after a mediocre start imo

Wouldn't disagree with that but this is supposed to be on this season

He has been getting better but like The French lad try signed he currently doesn't look worth anywhere near the money... But may do

Another decent performance from him last night, swapping sides with Eriksen on and off to keep them guessing. He's definitely become less easy to brush off the ball, as well. If I have a criticism, it's that he did waste one or two good opportunities to shoot because he's so unwilling to use his right foot. I think that's something else, potentially, that could make a big difference to his game in the long run, if he can work on it.

Another decent performance from him last night, swapping sides with Eriksen on and off to keep them guessing. He's definitely become less easy to brush off the ball, as well. If I have a criticism, it's that he did waste one or two good opportunities to shoot because he's so unwilling to use his right foot. I think that's something else, potentially, that could make a big difference to his game in the long run, if he can work on it.
I think it's probably too late for that now.... By this age I think he has become too used to always compensating with his left foot.

Was it Lamela who failed to control a pass for us out near the touchline last night, that resulted in them having a throw in, instead of us having a good attacking situation - that they then went up the other end and scored from? I was only half paying attention at that point so not sure which player it was - but it was an incredibly poor moment, if it was Lamela then was it because it was one of those moments where he tries to use his left foot instead of his right?

I do remember him fumbling the ball out of play on the left in the second half, yes. Couldn't swear it was down to footedness, though; he might just have taken his eye off it. He wasn't the only one prone to that kind of sloppiness, either.

He had quite a few poor involvements. But then again so did most of our players.

He is rather one footed, and had his right foot been stronger perhaps he could have gotten a shot on target in that one situation - though the ball seemed to run away from him. But then again, Alli tried his pass to Kane (?) with the outside of the right when the inside of his left would have been easier if he was better with his left. Had that been Lamela (opposite sides obviously) I'm sure someone would have pointed out how it's a big problem in his game that needs rectifying. Since it's Alli no one really says anything?

His contributions this season have been undeniable. If he's managing that with his weaknesses and he's still improving month by month and not yet reaching his peak it seems I think he's compensating well for those weaknesses with other strengths. Like most players.

He had quite a few poor involvements. But then again so did most of our players.

He is rather one footed, and had his right foot been stronger perhaps he could have gotten a shot on target in that one situation - though the ball seemed to run away from him. But then again, Alli tried his pass to Kane (?) with the outside of the right when the inside of his left would have been easier if he was better with his left. Had that been Lamela (opposite sides obviously) I'm sure someone would have pointed out how it's a big problem in his game that needs rectifying. Since it's Alli no one really says anything?

His contributions this season have been undeniable. If he's managing that with his weaknesses and he's still improving month by month and not yet reaching his peak it seems I think he's compensating well for those weaknesses with other strengths. Like most players.

That I a good point, as I have said before there are some fans who look at what he cost and are harder on him because of that. Its funny really because most players are one footed but they never get dragged across the coals as much as Lamela seems to be.

do you guys even play football. i trust the player if he thinks the outside of his masterfoot will be better than the inside of the other :)

I am most definitely someone who's done a fair bit of moaning about lamela on here but fair play to the guy, everytime I've seen him play this season he has impressed me. He did some great work today, invaluable work even.

Did very well today. Just needs to be more decisive, cut out some of the silly flicks when it opens up for him and hold back on the bandit challenges.

I am most definitely someone who's done a fair bit of moaning about lamela on here but fair play to the guy, everytime I've seen him play this season he has impressed me. He did some great work today, invaluable work even.

Me too. His end product still needs to improve, but he's made progress. I gave up on him to be honest. He also needs to get his temperament under control sometimes, I think a lot of the fouls he gives away are sometimes petulance as well as rashness. Son should slot into his position against Wham so hopefully won't be missed to much.

Back