• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

He definitely seems to be moving the ball on quicker, some of his passing is quite accurate and seems to be able to play it into narrow gaps a lot more. Definitely adjusting to the speed of the league.

Mesut Ozil and Erik Lamela among top six creative players in the Premier League this season

Tottenham Hotspur winger Erik Lamela is a rejuvenated figure this season, and that is proven by the fact that he has created as many as 19 chances in the Premier League so far this term.

In an injury-stricken 2013-14 campaign, Lamela created only six chances in nine Premier League appearances, while last season the Argentina international crafted 60 chances in 33 league matches.

The 23-year-old has been on fire in the past few weeks and has stepped up his game since the international break in September.

Lamela is the sixth-best creative player in the Premier League at the moment, having crafted 19 chances in just 367 minutes.

-----------------------Position-------Team----------Chances created-----Appearances---Mins Played
Dimitri Payet----------MF--------- West Ham------------- 33------------------- 8-------------- 718
Mesut Özil------------ MF--------- Arsenal----------------- 31-------------------7-------------- 587
Santiago Cazorla----- MF--------- Arsenal----------------- 29------------------ 8-------------- 709
Eden Hazard--------- MF--------- Chelsea------------------28------------------ 8-------------- 720
Dusan Tadic---------- MF------ Southampton------------- 25------------------- 7---------------557
Erik Lamela---------- MF------- Tottenham------------- 19------------------- 7-------------- 367

As the above Opta Stats table shows, West Ham United attacking midfielder Dimitri Payet is the most creative player in the Premier League, having crafted as many as 33 chances.

Arsenal playmaker Mesut Ozil has created 31 chances for his teammates, but his stats are probably better than Payet as he has played 587 minutes.

Santi Cazorla has continued to play well for Arsenal, while Chelsea attacking midfielder Eden Hazard has not been as bad as many would suggest.

Not many would have expected Dusan Tadic to be in the top five, but the Southampton attacking midfielder is playing very well at the moment.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/10/1...lamela-among-top-six-creative-players-in-the/

-----------------------------------------------------

So, the stats show that Lamela is not only Spurs' most creative player but one of the best in the PL so far this season.

While he is improving fast at Spurs, it is disappointing he is not playing much for Argentina even when Messi is injured. Thought Argentina were stupid for not playing him against Ecuador which they lost and only playing him for 20 mins against Paraguay which they drew. Lamela came on to set up a golden chance late in the match which Dybala wasted.

I thought he was shocking today and I cannot understand why he lasted so long on the pitch. He gave us nothing offensively and gave away some really stupid fouls.

But what really summed up Lamela today was when we were awarded a free kick in the first half in the centre of the pitch and for some stupid reason he rushed to take it, passing the ball 2 yards to Alli who was was next to hima and was not expecting it, and we ended up losing possession.

Brain-dead at times today. I'd have subbed him off long before Pochettino did; he was looking like a sending-off waiting to happen, especially with that numb-nuts of a ref.

I thought he was shocking today and I cannot understand why he lasted so long on the pitch. He gave us nothing offensively and gave away some really stupid fouls.

But what really summed up Lamela today was when we were awarded a free kick in the first half in the centre of the pitch and for some stupid reason he rushed to take it, passing the ball 2 yards to Alli who was was next to hima and was not expecting it, and we ended up losing possession.
Anyway player who isn't trying to receive a pass and isn't aware of what's going on shouldn't be on the pitch.

I did not think he was shocking, but like the rest of our team, it was not his best day. I think Lamela was unlucky to be booked as the ref was conned by Moreno.
I didn't think he played any worse than Eriksen, Alli or Kane. I think today showed more than anything how much we miss Dier and especially Son. With Son running intelligently it creates space for Alli and Lamela and they perform better.

Anyway player who isn't trying to receive a pass and isn't aware of what's going on shouldn't be on the pitch.

I must admit that your reasoning is sound and that thought did cross my mind at the time but I truly think it was poor game management from Lamela. Absolutely nothing was gained by passing the ball to someone 2 yards away when it was obviously at the time he was gonna be closed down straight away, it is not like they were just a yards outside the opposing penalty box. That was rank ameatur decision making, heck the Liverpool players did not even look the requisite distance away from the ball because Lamela did not give them enough time.

Although to be fair Kane made some poor decisions yesterday as well

No one looked good in midfield today it was brawn over brain out there. Lamela shielded the from skrtel during that goalmouth melee for loris to pick up the ball. If there were combined stats for creativity and defending, quite sure lamela would be high on that list. Yesterday too.

I saw Kane was woeful. Njie Bambi on ice, and both gave away posesion more than lamela

I must admit that your reasoning is sound and that thought did cross my mind at the time but I truly think it was poor game management from Lamela. Absolutely nothing was gained by passing the ball to someone 2 yards away when it was obviously at the time he was gonna be closed down straight away, it is not like they were just a yards outside the opposing penalty box. That was rank ameatur decision making, heck the Liverpool players did not even look the requisite distance away from the ball because Lamela did not give them enough time.

Although to be fair Kane made some poor decisions yesterday as well
It wasn't the best pass, but he tapped it and sprinted forward into space IIRC. If he'd got the ball back in that space we'd have been through their midfield with a decent chance.

Like most of what Lamela does, it was a risk with a bigger payoff than most options.

Without Dier to rely on defending he was back to the no mans land to trying to take up positions on the defensive side of attack. Son not being there makes it worse as there's no link with Harry, leaving them both isolated.

Brain-dead at times today. I'd have subbed him off long before Pochettino did; he was looking like a sending-off waiting to happen, especially with that numb-nuts of a ref.
When he got booked, it should have been a free-kick the other way! Moreno just slammed on the breaks and put his ass out. Indirect free-kick for obstruction. Not by a million miles was that anywhere near a free-kick for Moreno, and even more shocking, Lamela gets a yellow!

Moreno stops and then throws himself back into Lamella and dives. When you see the two Milner got away with before he was booked that was a scandalous decision.
That game was also the most I've ever seen poch let loose at the ref, and to me that says a lot.

Fair play -yesterday he was poor and struggled BUT compared to before, he now looks like a player having a bad game as opposed to a complete car crash for 87mins each week.

He now doesn't look off-the pace and isn't making rank decisions nearly everytime he gets it.... He is giving it simpler, moving it quicker and I think considering how bad he has been for us, I am loving his improvement. Even his bad games are much better now.

Hopefully the last few weeks are a blip and his upwards trajectory can continue and he can be an important player for us this year. Credit where credit is due, he seems to be finally 'getting it'

I agree LCLC, when it didn't work yesterday we could at least understand what he was trying to do. because we've seen what his game is about now and how it can work it's easier to forgive.

When he got booked, it should have been a free-kick the other way! Moreno just slammed on the breaks and put his ass out. Indirect free-kick for obstruction. Not by a million miles was that anywhere near a free-kick for Moreno, and even more shocking, Lamela gets a yellow!

Yes, the ref was poor, and all the more reason not to carry on lunging in and grappling around the backs of players once you've picked up a yellow card. He gave the ref more than one opportunity to send him off in the second half and given Pawson's performance up to then, I was surprised he didn't take one of them.

Yes, the ref was poor, and all the more reason not to carry on lunging in and grappling around the backs of players once you've picked up a yellow card. He gave the ref more than one opportunity to send him off in the second half and given Pawson's performance up to then, I was surprised he didn't take one of them.
Didn't see him do anything that was even remotely close to a yellow card all game. He had one risky tackle just inside the penalty area, but he got the ball, and then it has to be considered a brilliant tackle.

Didn't see him do anything that was even remotely close to a yellow card all game.

I doubt you were there then. Or did you spend most of your time in the tuck shop like some of the new faces in my row? He was lunging in and tugging all over the shop, arms all over the place. It looked as though all that ref needed was an excuse and Lamela nearly handed it to him more than once. He had improved of late but yesterday was a step backwards in terms of discipline.

Last edited:
Back