• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

For me his biggest trick will be to acquire consistency in releasing the ball early. When he gets it right it's brilliant, it can destroy defences, but how often do we see him when surrounded attempt that one more trick or swerve only to come unstuck and yield possession?

If he can just crack that one masterful skill with consistency, then we have a real player.

Has he been amazing last few games or just a good prem player, I'm going with the latter long may it last though

I know he's in good form now, and I'm very happy about that, but let's not romanticise the past now. For the majority of his spurs career he has been a massive disappointment. He's still got some work to do before I can forgive him for how brick he was.
Really? I'm not going to re-state what I wrote a few days ago about looking at trends rather than lumping all performances together and coming up with an average, but the term "turned the corner" doesn't factor in your thinking?

For me his biggest trick will be to acquire consistency in releasing the ball early. When he gets it right it's brilliant, it can destroy defences, but how often do we see him when surrounded attempt that one more trick or swerve only to come unstuck and yield possession?

If he can just crack that one masterful skill with consistency, then we have a real player.
His pass to release Chadli (I think it was Chadders) was sublime. And with his right foot too! Quick thinking and execution. And then to run the length of the pitch to put himself in scoring position, that was superb.

From The Guardian (this is a fairly vanilla article, but nonetheless recognizes the boy is improving)
When Érik Lamela has moments such as the one against Monaco in the Europa League on Thursday night, it all makes sense. It was whyTottenham Hotspur made him their £30m record signing in 2013 from Roma and why there was – and remains – such extraordinary hope for him.

In one balletic movement, the Argentina winger raked the studs from his left boot over the top of the ball before caressing a pass with his right down the line for Nacer Chadli, to set in motion the attack for Tottenham’s goal in the 1-1 draw. Lamela ended up scoring it, after continuing his run up the field.

The precision and weight of the pass were perfect but it was as much his balance after the initial feint that had spectators purring. Few players would have considered the move, let alone executed it, and here, in a heartbeat, was the essence of the Lamela discussion.

The 23-year-old is capable of sumptuous class and when he produces he elevates himself and the team to a higher plane. As you will hear before every game at White Hart Lane, courtesy of the big screen voice-over, football is about the glory, dreams and derring-do. Lamela chimes with such aspirational qualities.

But he has been fist-eatingly frustrating at Tottenham because he has not provided sufficient substance and end product, together with being a defensive liability at times. If only he could make better decisions, they have said, and find greater consistency. The talent is there. It is tantalising.

Against Monaco, there was also the moment in the second half when Lamela led a break and had runners in front of him to either side. But he dallied between the options and was caught and fouled. Mauricio Pochettino, the manager, tipped his head back and screamed.

This is what Lamela does to you and, with him, trend-spotting and predictions are perilous. After the Monaco game, he said he could not remember his flash of individual magic. He plays on instinct and if he does not know how things happened or what is coming next, how is anybody else supposed to know? In his past five appearances, though, there has been evidence of a more decisive Lamela and the impression that he has moved on from his poor start to the season, when he was the whipping boy of the Tottenham support. There was the assist for the winning goal at Sunderland; the goal against Qarabag; the role in the decisive goal against Crystal Palace; the assist and goal in the victory over Emirates Marketing Project; and the goal against Monaco.

Pochettino spoke here about how Lamela’s late return to pre-season training after the Copa América – in which he made one brief appearance as a substitute during Argentina’s run to the final – impacted on his preparations and form, and he highlighted the low point of the Everton game on 29 August, when he dropped him to the bench and did not bring him on.

“Sometimes, you take decisions and it is very difficult,” Pochettino said. “That situation was difficult to manage and it was difficult for him. But you always know that if the player wants it enough and believes in himself, we only need to give him the opportunity and his quality will show.”

Lamela’s first season at Tottenham was a write-off, with André Villas-Boas, the manager at the time, refusing to pick him in the Premier League and then serious injury ruling him out. There were also jarring assimilation difficulties. Things improved for him last season – he made the most assists for Tottenham in the league – but the inconsistency persisted.

There has been a stream of mitigation for Lamela’s performances and Pochettino even made the point that players who come to England from Serie A rarely have “quick success”. He added: “Different players take different times to settle. Even Zidane found it difficult in his first season at Real Madrid.”

But Lamela has been given time. Crucially, he is more settled off the field these days and there is the sense that if he does not produce on a more regular basis this season, he never will. Pochettino, though, believes he is primed to do so.

“This season is very important for him because after two seasons, he needs to show his real quality,” Pochettino said. “Right now, in his mind, he is ready to deliver.”

I think the article sums up Lamela's performance quite well. His first season was a write off, the second season he topped the assist charts without setting the world alight and he has quickly settled this season. I think we should be cautiously optimistic about him and encourage him to do better rather than wait for any dip in form. After all, if he performs well that's good for us is it not? With Eriksen out of form and just coming back from injury, Lamela is one of the few who can create something. If he plays well, then we will as his contributions to our victories this season have shown. Long may it continue!

Tottenham forward Erik Lamela delighted with turn in fortunes

Tottenham winger Erik Lamela says he cannot put his finger on the reason for his vast improvement in form this season, but is confident the best is yet to come.

Many had written off the 23-year-old as a costly Premier League flop after an underwhelming first two seasons at White Hart Lane.

It seemed during the summer that Spurs were willing to let the £30m club-record signing follow the likes of Roberto Soldado, Paulinho and Vlad Chiriches out of the club, but their patience appears to be paying off now.

Lamela has begun to impress on a consistent basis this term, following up a man-of-the-match display in Tottenham's 4-1 comeback win against Emirates Marketing Project by scoring in Thursday's 1-1 Europa League draw in Monaco.

erik-lamela-goal-tottenham-monaco_3358368.jpg

Erik Lamela of Tottenham Hotspur scores the opening goal

"I don't know what has changed," Lamela said, conducting an interview in English for the first time. "I am working hard every day to find my best.

"The team helps me and I want to help the team.

"I don't know [if it is because I am more settled]. I need to keep working, keep working hard every day. I am always wanting to help my team."

Last year's appointment of compatriot Mauricio Pochettino appears to have helped Lamela belatedly find his feet at White Hart Lane.

mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-monaco_3358369.jpg

Mauricio Pochettino is happy with Erik Lamela's form

The former Argentina international has an impressive record of coaxing the best out of young talent and the Spurs head coach has enjoyed his recent displays.

"I am happy for us and the team too," Pochettino said.

"When the player plays well and improves their performance, it is good for the team. This is important - to always believe in them and give them confidence.

"You wait always for players to show more, more, more and more. This is the same for all players.

erik-lamela-tottenham-manchester-city_3356249.jpg

Erik Lamela of Tottenham Hotspur scores his team's fourth goal against Emirates Marketing Project

"You expect always the best for young players and for Erik it is good to score again to help his confidence."

Despite conceding a frustrating, late equaliser against Monaco, Spurs still sit atop of Group J in the Europa League.

Lamela was on the scoresheet again at the Stade Louis II and, while the finish was straightforward enough, the skill he displayed in starting the move was anything but.

The Argentina international showed exquisite quick feet by rolling the ball onto his right and playing through Nacer Chadli.

eric-dier-tottenham-man-city_3356188.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur celebrate scoring against Emirates Marketing Project

"I can't remember it," Lamela added.

"The goal was from a good counter-attack. I think we deserved it because the break was good. We deserved a little bit more from the game, but it is not a bad result because we play away.

"We need to win the next game at home [in the Europa League] and try to get three points there."

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...d-erik-lamela-delighted-with-turn-in-fortunes

---------------------------------

So, it seems Lamela has improved his English. That could be one of the reason he is in good form this season.

Tottenham forward Erik Lamela delighted with turn in fortunes

Tottenham winger Erik Lamela says he cannot put his finger on the reason for his vast improvement in form this season, but is confident the best is yet to come.

Many had written off the 23-year-old as a costly Premier League flop after an underwhelming first two seasons at White Hart Lane.

It seemed during the summer that Spurs were willing to let the £30m club-record signing follow the likes of Roberto Soldado, Paulinho and Vlad Chiriches out of the club, but their patience appears to be paying off now.

Lamela has begun to impress on a consistent basis this term, following up a man-of-the-match display in Tottenham's 4-1 comeback win against Emirates Marketing Project by scoring in Thursday's 1-1 Europa League draw in Monaco.

erik-lamela-goal-tottenham-monaco_3358368.jpg

Erik Lamela of Tottenham Hotspur scores the opening goal

"I don't know what has changed," Lamela said, conducting an interview in English for the first time. "I am working hard every day to find my best.

"The team helps me and I want to help the team.

"I don't know [if it is because I am more settled]. I need to keep working, keep working hard every day. I am always wanting to help my team."

Last year's appointment of compatriot Mauricio Pochettino appears to have helped Lamela belatedly find his feet at White Hart Lane.

mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-monaco_3358369.jpg

Mauricio Pochettino is happy with Erik Lamela's form

The former Argentina international has an impressive record of coaxing the best out of young talent and the Spurs head coach has enjoyed his recent displays.

"I am happy for us and the team too," Pochettino said.

"When the player plays well and improves their performance, it is good for the team. This is important - to always believe in them and give them confidence.

"You wait always for players to show more, more, more and more. This is the same for all players.

erik-lamela-tottenham-manchester-city_3356249.jpg

Erik Lamela of Tottenham Hotspur scores his team's fourth goal against Emirates Marketing Project

"You expect always the best for young players and for Erik it is good to score again to help his confidence."

Despite conceding a frustrating, late equaliser against Monaco, Spurs still sit atop of Group J in the Europa League.

Lamela was on the scoresheet again at the Stade Louis II and, while the finish was straightforward enough, the skill he displayed in starting the move was anything but.

The Argentina international showed exquisite quick feet by rolling the ball onto his right and playing through Nacer Chadli.

eric-dier-tottenham-man-city_3356188.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur celebrate scoring against Emirates Marketing Project

"I can't remember it," Lamela added.

"The goal was from a good counter-attack. I think we deserved it because the break was good. We deserved a little bit more from the game, but it is not a bad result because we play away.

"We need to win the next game at home [in the Europa League] and try to get three points there."

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...d-erik-lamela-delighted-with-turn-in-fortunes

---------------------------------

So, it seems Lamela has improved his English. That could be one of the reason he is in good form this season.

so you are saying if Steven Gerrard spoke English he would have been a better player?

so you are saying if Steven Gerrard spoke English he would have been a better player?

Yep.:D

As for Lamela, I read before, some players saying his lack of English affects his performance on the field as he couldn't understand what the other players want. Also, have noticed that he was not very close to other players especially during goal celebrations. But that seems different this season. All the players seems to be happy to celebrate the goals with him this season.

Levy must be looking at the rise of Erik's stock price with glee :)

I still think that lamela will do much better in a less physical league, and can see some megabids coming in for him if he can keep this up till the end of the season.

Levy must be looking at the rise of Erik's stock price with glee :)

I still think that lamela will do much better in a less physical league, and can see some megabids coming in for him if he can keep this up till the end of the season.

Hopefully at which point, we turn these bids down. I'd hate to see Lamela finally thrive & then immediately leaves after first good season.

After two years at Spurs Erik Lamela is coming good, just like Gareth Bale

Tottenham Hotspur star Erik Lamela appears to finally be coming good. The Argentine has been in great form recently, perhaps putting in his best ever performance for Spurs in the recent 4-1 win over Emirates Marketing Project.

After two seasons and a £30 million transfer fee it has certainly been a long time coming.

Lamela was signed mainly as a replacement for the Welsh superstar Gareth Bale. He left the club the summer Lamela arrived for a world record switch to Real Madrid and has since gone on to win the Champions League with his new club.

So as a replacement for Bale, perhaps it should be no surprise he has taken his time to settle down – it certainly took Bale some time as well.

When Spurs signed Bale from Southampton he also struggled in his first two seasons at the club. A left-back back then he struggled with injury and form with Spurs, nearly moving to Nottingham Forest and Birmingham City in 2009.

Much like Lamela’s proposed deadline day switch to Marseille it never happened and just like Bale the Argentine is starting to show his promise during his third season with the club.

If he keeps up that trajectory than Tottenham fans can expect things to only get better.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/10/0...ik-lamela-is-coming-good-just-like-ga/page/1/

----------------------------------------------

Remember how bad Bale was in is first 2 seasons with us ? In fact, he was on such a bad jinx that he failed to win any of his first 24 matches for us. It was so bad that everyone was worried to play him ! We almost sold him during that period. But once he found his form, he never looked back. Hope it will be the same for Lamela.

There was always a player in there, it was just a case of hoping Poch could find him. Some of the brick he got was remarkable. Never hid been when dire. He had some awful appearances at the start of the season, and after Leicester I admit to being enormously frustrated with him, but I have always held out hope. Delighted to see it happening for him.

Back