• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Golf Thread

Fantastic doco on fox sports now about jack nicklaus first us open in'62 when Arnold Palmer was local favourite . Amazing how good they were then , would be interesting to see how they would have done with today's technology when at their prime .

PITTSFORD, N.Y. (USA TODAY) — As dark clouds spit rain during Monday's pro-am of the Wegmans LPGA Championship, Cheyenne Woods was flashing a big smile with nearly every step she took up the 18th fairway.

Even though her head-to-toe Nike outfit was dripping rain, Woods nonetheless couldn't think of a better place to be this week. Starting Thursday, she will make her professional debut on a sponsor's exemption in the second LPGA tour major of the season.

And the two-time Wake Forest All-American does so a week after qualifying for the U.S. Women's Open.

"It feels a little different because this is my job now, it's my career now," said Woods, 21. "But I'm thankful for the opportunity to play this week.

"It feels a little different because more eyes are on me."

She has her uncle to thank for that. A guy named Tiger Woods.

"I remember in the first grade, I would ask my teacher if she knew who my uncle was," Woods said. "And I would ask other teachers and my friends if they knew who my uncle was."

When she started playing national tournaments at age 10, however, she started to keep her famous uncle to herself. Not because she feared extra pressure would come her way. She just didn't want "people to think I was bragging."

Now nearly everyone knows who her uncle is, and her success on the golf course hasn't gone unnoticed. At Wake Forest, she set school records for lowest single-season scoring average (73.47) and career average (74.31).

"It's never been hard being Tiger's niece, and it's never been hard to be my own person," she said. "I'm so thankful that I had those four years of college to really prepare me for the tour. Playing every week and balancing my time with academics and athletics, I think, has really helped me prepare for me for this stage. But the biggest transition I think would be getting used to the media.

"The media is something that I've dealt with since I was about 12 years old, having the last name of Woods. So that's also something I'm thankful for, to help me get ready for this stage, too."

This week's stage includes 19 of the top 25 players in the Rolex's Women's World Rankings, including No. 1 Yani Tseng, No. 2 Na Yeon Choi and No. 3 Stacy Lewis, the highest-ranked American and a winner of two of the last three tour events. But Woods said she can't control what others do, and she'll just go out and play her own game and be herself.

That just happens to be the advice she has received from her 14-time major winning uncle.

"He's always been so supportive of me," said Woods, who as a kid practiced trouble shots after seeing Tiger on TV hit a great shot from under a tree or over a tree. "He knows a lot of expectations are out there. But he just tells me to be me."

It has worked so far.

"I have dealt with it for a long time, and I have somehow been able to play my own game," she said. "That's mainly what I try to think about is play my own game and just try to do my own thing and not worry about what others are thinking."

Uncle Tiger also has given her other advice.

"He's always telling me just to kick butt," she said. "You know, Tiger is always dominating, so that is the one word of advice he would give me. He is obviously amazing at golf, and having him there and knowing I can go to him whenever I need him is nice to have."

Tiger-Woods-niece-ready-for-pro-debut-281KCQVD-x-large.jpg

Just got home from playing the London Club WOW !!!

We played the International, playing off 18 I got 39 points and my mate had 39 playing off 16, the course was magificent, probably the best greens Ive ever putted on, it was in perfect condition, fairways were lush and lovely, played really well even was getting the old draw back I used to have when I played off 10

Will put some piccies up laters

I did hole a 30 yard massively breaking putt on the putting green as well

Last edited:
Just got back to 9 (9.3) this weekend, was the only one to break hcp - the wind was beyond brutal. This brick weather is not helping my golf game, its always fudging windy! Not had a calm day in 3 months.

Got a set of ping i20 irons the other week, wow.......

Looking to buy a new set of irons this week and need a little advice if possible. Only been playing for a year, once a week if I'm lucky. Currently have a Fazer set but if I trade them in this week at American Golf I get £150 off a new set of irons (deal when I originally bought them). Been looking at these:

http://www.americangolf.co.uk/product/Wilson-Staff-Di7-Irons-Steel-4-SW/p13431.aspx
http://www.americangolf.co.uk/product/Cleveland-Golf-CG7-Black-Pearl-Irons-4-PW-Steel/p103370.aspx
http://www.americangolf.co.uk/product/Cobra-Golf-S3-Irons-5-SW-Steel/p85422.aspx
http://www.americangolf.co.uk/product/Taylor-Made-Golf-Burner-1-0-Irons-4-PW-Steel/p103478.aspx

Now I'm not that great but I'm not bad either. Mainly been playing on a Par 3 course and usually hit Pars or Bogeys. My biggest problem is that I can't get a lot of loft in my irons, which leads me to a bigger cavity like the TM Burners, but didn't want to rush in without some advice.

Thoughts?

Have some lessons first, very likely it's your technique as much as the equipment. Then get custom fitted for your irons.

Looking to buy a new set of irons this week and need a little advice if possible. Only been playing for a year, once a week if I'm lucky. Currently have a Fazer set but if I trade them in this week at American Golf I get £150 off a new set of irons (deal when I originally bought them). Been looking at these:

http://www.americangolf.co.uk/product/Wilson-Staff-Di7-Irons-Steel-4-SW/p13431.aspx
http://www.americangolf.co.uk/product/Cleveland-Golf-CG7-Black-Pearl-Irons-4-PW-Steel/p103370.aspx
http://www.americangolf.co.uk/product/Cobra-Golf-S3-Irons-5-SW-Steel/p85422.aspx
http://www.americangolf.co.uk/product/Taylor-Made-Golf-Burner-1-0-Irons-4-PW-Steel/p103478.aspx

Now I'm not that great but I'm not bad either. Mainly been playing on a Par 3 course and usually hit Pars or Bogeys. My biggest problem is that I can't get a lot of loft in my irons, which leads me to a bigger cavity like the TM Burners, but didn't want to rush in without some advice.

Thoughts?

No matter what the deal, please go and try several sets first. Preferably at more than one location.

Last year, I went to a local range, convinced I would be buying Wilson Di7s or similar. I tried Those, with different shafts, as well as Ping G15s, Cobras, Mizunos, and even Yonex.
The Yonex beat everything there for me, hands down. But I didn't buy.

I then went to a local club where my sons are members. There I tried Taylor-Made, Callaways and Titleist. All different again.

I ended up with Callaway Diablo irons. Never ever expected that. Glad I did though, and the shop pro beat the best internet price i could find. Sold my old clubs on ebay for £100

Thanks for the advice. The problem I have is that I am really stuck with American Golf as the set I currently have are pretty much worth nothing on eBay, so may as well get the £150 off there. I dont really have more than £150 to spend on top so those are the clubs I'm left with. I have tried a few mates clubs, Ping i5 and Callaway Diablo, and found the Pings WAY to hard to use. Diablo's were great but way out of my price range! Will certainly ask at the shop to try all sets out though. Thanks again

Can you really see Tom Watson making top 7 though? too many good players, and very tough conditions, plus the bastard rough, might be too much for him. He's not a young man. Could be worth a shout at being an early leader, but no more than that for me.

However, don't ask me to call a winner this week, it's too tough. If the rough is really that bad, Westwood must be a good shout. Francesco Molinari might be a good e/w.

I'm going up on Sunday, should be a great watch, went to Sandwich last year and loved it, even if I was knackered the next day haha

Because he won two tournaments on parkland/target courses with no names in the field and had a decent two rounds at the U.S Open? Cor, don't you know anything.....

The truth is, he has never been far away from the list of favourites during his struggles and now he is showing glimpses of form, he automatically goes to the top. At the end of the day, punters back him, so the bookies have to make him short to protect themselves.

Back