• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Giovani Lo Celso

isn't it kind of weird that Argentina and Brazil have to qualify for the World Cup, what kind of a product is it without them?

isn't it kind of weird that Argentina and Brazil have to qualify for the World Cup, what kind of a product is it without them?

Not like they wont qualify. 10 teams qualify from south america. There are only 14 countries.

If they can't qualify from that i wouldn't want them at the world cup.

would a player have it in his contract that he is allowed to travel and play for his country in competitive matches?

would a player have it in his contract that he is allowed to travel and play for his country in competitive matches?

No. It is in fifas rules. Fifas rules don't take into account a world wide pandemic though so can be challenged.

Players can be fined by their clubs for missing training and games.

It's a mess that needs to be sorted quickly. Because there are a lot more international games coming up.

No. It is in fifas rules. Fifas rules don't take into account a world wide pandemic though so can be challenged.

Players can be fined by their clubs for missing training and games.

It's a mess that needs to be sorted quickly. Because there are a lot more international games coming up.

Yep get that, but you are assuming that they have missed training or a game because they were not allowed to travel, what IF their contract said they were allowed to play competitive internationals, then they would not be AWOL would they?

That's my question

Yep get that, but you are assuming that they have missed training or a game because they were not allowed to travel, what IF their contract said they were allowed to play competitive internationals, then they would not be AWOL would they?

That's my question

Why would you put something in a contract that is covered by fifa regulations. It's like putting in that you can wear football boots or the club will pay for travel to away games. It would be assumed.

Even if their contract did say thst they can play internationals it is still there responsibility to be back for training and club games. If they are not that's down to them and they can be fined. That 100% would be in their contract.

Last edited:
Why would you put something in a contract that is covered by fifa regulations. It's like putting in that you can wear football boots or the club will pay for travel to away games. It would be assumed.

Even if their contract did say thst they can play internationals it is still there responsibility to be back for training and club games. If they are not that's down to them and they can be fined. That 100% would be in their contract.
Strange analogy

It comes down to if they went AWOL or were allowed, either contractually or by mutual consent to be absent with leave, yes?

If they were AWOL then the club has every right to fine them, if not then, so what, its not our problem, they were allowed to go.

I was just wondering if footballers had it in their contracts or not, don't really care about the rights and wrongs

Strange analogy

It comes down to if they went AWOL or were allowed, either contractually or by mutual consent to be absent with leave, yes?

If they were AWOL then the club has every right to fine them, if not then, so what, its not our problem, they were allowed to go.

I was just wondering if footballers had it in their contracts or not, don't really care about the rights and wrongs

Even if it was in their contract they would still be required to be back at the club after the international break was over. The issue isn't that they are playing for their country. It is that they have to quarantine for 10 days so miss training and games. This is outside the international break.

Strange analogy

you could interpret FIFAs rules as

- Players are allowed to be called up for their country and clubs must let them go

In the past, that would have meant they need to leave 2-3 days before and they can expect to be there until a day or two after. Hence reasonably a club couldn't say I'm going to let you go only for the day the game is on, in our current world situation would it be any different to say FIFA's ruling applies to travel +covid time requirements?

Until FIFA clears up what is a reasonable expectation, it's a very murky/unknown thing open to wide interpretation.

Strange analogy

I found this link to the (so described) PL contract of a Chelsea player from 2008
https://ipmall.law.unh.edu/sites/default/files/hosted_resources/SportsEntLaw_Institute/Agent Contracts Between Players & Their Agents/6_PREMIER LEAGUE PLAYERS CONTRACT.pdf

Clause 6.1.9 "[The club shall] release the Player as required for the purposes of fulfilling the obligations in respect of representative matches to his national association pursuant to the statutes and regulations of FIFA."

The player's obligations (cl 3.1) include "when directed by an authorised official of the Club: 3.1.1.1 to attend matches in which the Club is engaged; 3.1.1.2 to participate in any matches in which he is selected to play for the Club; and 3.1.1.3 to attend at any reasonable place for the purposes of and to participate in training and match preparation;"

So we have to release the player, and the player has to attend training/play in matches when instructed. We can't therefore fine him for the former, but potentially could for the latter, although the player could then appeal.

Cheers guys…

So in this case the club (possibly) had to let them go, but because they could not fulfil their obligation to return in time to train back at the club due to quarantine restrictions the club may decide to fine them.

Seems reasonable

Don't give the players too much credit here, they are very simple people with a limited grasp of reality.
There is huge pressure from the Argentinian FA / their families / their countrymen / their ego to play in these games and thus play in the World Cup... else they could be ostracised.
There is huge pressure from Spurs / Spurs fans / the medical community to stay in England.
They are damned if they do or don't, but they are simple young guys and just want to 'go for it'.

Don't give the players too much credit here, they are very simple people with a limited grasp of reality.
There is huge pressure from the Argentinian FA / their families / their countrymen / their ego to play in these games and thus play in the World Cup... else they could be ostracised.
There is huge pressure from Spurs / Spurs fans / the medical community to stay in England.
They are damned if they do or don't, but they are simple young guys and just want to 'go for it'.

It's difficult for "football" fans in this country to understand the pride foreign players have in representing their nations, it's hardly surprising as since the 60's English (not british) people have been blamed for virtually everything that's been wrong in the world since Tudor times, being proud to be English now seems to be the domain of rightwing neofacists.

It's difficult for "football" fans in this country to understand the pride foreign players have in representing their nations, it's hardly surprising as since the 60's English (not british) people have been blamed for virtually everything that's been wrong in the world since Tudor times, being proud to be English now seems to be the domain of rightwing neofacists.

I think there is a level of selfishness. I care about tottenham more than i care about you or your country. Ergo you should do what's best for tottenham. Which is understandable.

Not like they wont qualify. 10 teams qualify from south america. There are only 14 countries.

If they can't qualify from that i wouldn't want them at the world cup.

Some of the South American countries are members of Concacaf.

There are 10 countries in CONMEBOL.

Only 4 of them qualify. The 5th goes into a play off with a team from another confederation.

The 2015 and 2016 Copa America winners are 8th of 10 after 8 games. So it's pretty tough going for everyone.

Argentina only secured their place on the last day (of 18 games) in 2018 and 2010. Maradona came out of retirement in 1994 to save them in the playoff with Australia.

This is a wrong view and smacks of seeing this situation from only one side. I reckon this will backfire for Spurs in the future as these players talk. The players are honouring their countries call to play. I see nothing wrong with that.

I get the general trend that English fans don't think there is anything special in international football and playing for ones country. I personally feel that view is wrong and I would give my entire life savings up to play one match for my country.
Exactly.

It depends on what an individual values. There aren't right or wrong values in this case, there are values that would be more beneficial to us as a club. That doesn't make it wrong for those players to have different values.

We're all on here discussing football and Spurs because we care about and even love Spurs. A football club, massive business, with it's multi millionaire players. It's a ridiculous concept. Yet we value that, some of our players value playing for their country and in a World Cup really highly. The shock.

Back