• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Giovani Lo Celso

Tottenham duo Giovani Lo Celso and Cristian Romero are set to be fined by the club after joining up with the Argentina national squad without permission.

Sky Sports News has learned that Lo Celso and Romero will be disciplined for making the trip to South America for games against Venezuela and Brazil against the club's wishes, with both players expected to receive hefty fines.

Lo Celso and Romero are planning on flying to Croatia, along with Aston Villa's Emiliano Martinez and Emiliano Buendia, following the controversial suspension of Argentina's World Cup qualifier in Brazil to avoid having to quarantine. The four Argentine Premier League-based players were accused of not following strict Covid protocols upon entering Brazil.

Crucially, Buendia and Martinez have both followed the agreement set out with Villa before they left for the international break, and there is no suggestion they have done anything wrong, but the same cannot be said for the Tottenham duo.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...and-cristian-romero-after-defying-club-orders

I thought i had it all straight in my head but now i'm confused again (regular occurrence). By current reporting Villa did a deal with the Argentinian FA for their guys to only play 2 games, hence why they're now flying to Croatia. But the article says our guys are going with them. So did we also do the same deal? If we did, then why are we fining them? If we didn't, then why are they going to Croatia? Don't Argentina have a 3rd match this week against Bolivia?

Like i said, confusing.

How many Argentine players play for Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool? Brazil decided not to call English based players, Argentina did, so what is your point?

How about next time you just not but an Argentine international, simples
My point is the players first responsibility is to the club that pays their wages and particularly when there is a global pandemic that will impact their club far more than it would normally and leave their club at a direct dissadvantage to their rivals.
Your final point is moot, Spurs would have had no idea that Argentina would insist on the players being available in a pandemic at the time contracts were signed.

Maybe if you had a squad of 25 English men there would be no problem

Not at all that is not what I want. I was thinking more of friendlies which is where the likes of Utd players tended to get withdrawn due to ‘injury’. I understand why players want to play for their national teams even if I’d prefer them to put club first (and in all honesty I was fine to see our players representing their respective countries when we were ‘less good’. Not so much now.). But with success of the club team comes more international call-ups and we generally have to accept that.

My point is the players first responsibility is to the club that pays their wages and particularly when there is a global pandemic that will impact their club far more than it would normally and leave their club at a direct dissadvantage to their rivals.
Your final point is moot, Spurs would have had no idea that Argentina would insist on the players being available in a pandemic at the time contracts were signed.

Let me get this right, we have two internationals players, one of them in particular is regarded as his country's best defender, and Spurs did not expect either of them to be called up for their country? :eek:

Good thing we sold Juan Foyth because he was there too.

If you sign an African, South American or South Korean be prepared with what comes with such signings.

Not at all that is not what I want. I was thinking more of friendlies which is where the likes of Utd players tended to get withdrawn due to ‘injury’. I understand why players want to play for their national teams even if I’d prefer them to put club first (and in all honesty I was fine to see our players representing their respective countries when we were ‘less good’. Not so much now.). But with success of the club team comes more international call-ups and we generally have to accept that.

And if these matches were friendlies I would then hope that both Lo Celso and Romero would not travel, but these were not, they were WC qualifiers. If FIFA say they can go then Spurs are asking for trouble if they fine them, like I said if it were me hell would freeze over before I paid such a fine

Let me get this right, we have two internationals players, one of them in particular is regarded as his country's best defender, and Spurs did not expect either of them to be called up for their country? :eek:

Good thing we sold Juan Foyth because he was there too.

If you sign an African, South American or South Korean be prepared with what comes with such signings.
It's not that they were called up, it seems there was pressure from the Argentinian FA in the form of threats that players would be dropped if they didn't turn up, Spurs couldn't have forseen that and you ignored one very important aspect, we're still in the middle of a global pandemic and sacrifices have to be made.

And if these matches were friendlies I would then hope that both Lo Celso and Romero would not travel, but these were not, they were WC qualifiers. If FIFA say they can go then Spurs are asking for trouble if they fine them, like I said if it were me hell would freeze over before I paid such a fine
Your changing your stance now. So it's FIFA that gave the green light in which case why were other clubs able to stop their players from going?

It is not all a matter of wanting to help Messi, some players are actually patriotic and want to play for their country, not everybody is like Ryan Giggs and always pulls a sickie when it is time to play for their country.

Spurs cannot buy South American internationals and then bitch when they want to fly back to their come continent to represent their countries. That irritates me just as much as English clubs who whinge about African players who want to represent their various countries during the African Nations Cup. Mark my words in a a couple of years time their will be people on here complaining about Pape Matar Sarr because he has gone off to represent Senegal in Jan/Feb.

Harry Kane always wants to play for his country, do you honestly think if he were playing in another league he would stay with his club and reject the chance to play for his country? Hell No.

You’re ignoring the fact that there is a global pandemic, with travel restrictions and quarantine periods that make this something way beyond playing for your national team in normal circumstances.

The rules as it is means that Argentinian players were not able to enter Brazil. I feel like we all still need to hear the ultimate truth of who lied on forms, what agreements were made and broken etc, but I guess all I can say is that if the club are now tinkled enough to want to fine the players, they feel that they probably have decent standing to do so. After having been understanding about their situation, they now seem to think it is my favourite buttplug that they predicted it might be, and justifiably so.

This isn’t at all like the Africa Cup of Nations. Or anything else. We were always very understanding about Son’s commitments for South Korea. This is about players choosing to miss games for their clubs, and enter quarantine periods in other countries, missing crucial time to assimilate into how we do things at Spurs.

It’s ridiculous:

They are Spurs players and that is who pays their wages, if they decide to go off for a couple of weeks elsewhere making themselves unavailable for matches then the club should have a right to deduct that amount from their wages. Seeing as THEY are making themselves unavailiabe to play and fulfill their contract.

They are Spurs players and that is who pays their wages, if they decide to go off for a couple of weeks elsewhere making themselves unavailable for matches then the club should have a right to deduct that amount from their wages. Seeing as THEY are making themselves unavailiabe to play and fulfill their contract.

I think this is the most insightful comment I have seen on the matter. Ultimately - as we saw from the Harry Kane saga - it is all about contracts and legalities. And the only legality in the picture, is the contract signed by the players in which they are legally obliged to make themselves available for every Spurs game that the club has. Anything else, including any notion of patriotism or the possibility of playing in world cup final, comes a very distant second. So the club should fine them two weeks wages for every game they miss from their unauthorised jaunt.

I think this is the most insightful comment I have seen on the matter. Ultimately - as we saw from the Harry Kane saga - it is all about contracts and legalities. And the only legality in the picture, is the contract signed by the players in which they are legally obliged to make themselves available for every Spurs game that the club has. Anything else, including any notion of patriotism or the possibility of playing in world cup final, comes a very distant second. So the club should fine them two weeks wages for every game they miss from their unauthorised jaunt.

Indeed.

I think it is amusing that Brazil has the UK on the red list, that is the real joke

The red list for each country is an attempt to stop Covid variants of concern getting into their country. Not cases.

The UK has most of South Amercia on a red list to stop the Gamma variant getting in.

Brazil has the UK on a red list to stop the Delta variant getting in.

The red list for each country is an attempt to stop Covid variants of concern getting into their country. Not cases.

The UK has most of South Amercia on a red list to stop the Gamma variant getting in.

Brazil has the UK on a red list to stop the Delta variant getting in.

Are were talking about Brazil? The Brazilian leader Jair Bolsonaro claimed for over a year that COVID-19 was a media hoax, and now his government cares :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back