• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Giovani Lo Celso

My point is the players first responsibility is to the club that pays their wages and particularly when there is a global pandemic that will impact their club far more than it would normally and leave their club at a direct dissadvantage to their rivals.
Your final point is moot, Spurs would have had no idea that Argentina would insist on the players being available in a pandemic at the time contracts were signed.
No it isn't. Their first responsibility is to their country not club. Paying salary so what - don't buy international players. It is not news that South American players travel for their country's matches.

They are Spurs players and that is who pays their wages, if they decide to go off for a couple of weeks elsewhere making themselves unavailable for matches then the club should have a right to deduct that amount from their wages. Seeing as THEY are making themselves unavailiabe to play and fulfill their contract.

This is a wrong view and smacks of seeing this situation from only one side. I reckon this will backfire for Spurs in the future as these players talk. The players are honouring their countries call to play. I see nothing wrong with that.

I get the general trend that English fans don't think there is anything special in international football and playing for ones country. I personally feel that view is wrong and I would give my entire life savings up to play one match for my country.

Couldn’t agree more. I struggled to even raise interest in this year’s Euros.
Tournament football is the jewel in the crown of international football. The trouble is the ridiculous Nations league and the qualifying schedules for euros and WC. Should be 2 or 3 weeks near the end, or at the end of one season and the same near the start of the next season and get all games done in those 2 slots.

it’s not ideal, but nothing will be and it’s certainly better than breaking up the season every 6 weeks! First things first is they need to dump the nations league though, waste of space. If the smaller federations need money then it’s up to Eufa / FIFA to provide it, not tinkle everyone off with a pointless fixture schedule.

They got greedy and killed international football with far to many pointless games and to many international breaks.

Football and cricket are both killing themselves with the overdosing of international competition

The Nations League thing is utter rubbish. It was meant to avoid meaningless friendlies...however what it has done is mean that the top players play even more games as national managers want to win, meaning lower quality performances and shorter careers. Cricket itself has killed itself with more and more pointless tournaments and formats, both internationally and now domestically with The Hundred thing alongside T20

Football and cricket are both killing themselves with the overdosing of international competition

The Nations League thing is utter rubbish. It was meant to avoid meaningless friendlies...however what it has done is mean that the top players play even more games as national managers want to win, meaning lower quality performances and shorter careers. Cricket itself has killed itself with more and more pointless tournaments and formats, both internationally and now domestically with The Hundred thing alongside T20

I believe I heard the commentator on ITV say Sundays game was Englands 22 match this 12 month period.

Most sport is the same now, especially the ones that have sold their soul to tv.
Growing the game actually translates to fleecing the punter as much as we can.
Sickening and it is turning me off the professional game.

They won't be fined, and people need to stop being wound up by brick.

FIFA has allowed the rules that prevent clubs from blocking players to play for their country to stay in place in the middle of a fudging pandemic.

"oh, well what about United/City/Pool/etc", well, lets be clear when certain clubs break rules -> FIFA/FA/UEFA look the other way, if Spurs does it, we are big enough to make a good example (to pretend like they give a brick about rules) but not big enough to be untouchable.

Spurs have no right to tell players not to play in a World Cup Qualifying match, especially as FIFA have told clubs they must release their players. As much as I love Spurs I would tell the club to Foxtrot Oscar if they tried that. If I were Romero or Lo Celso I would not pay a fine, not a fecking chance.

If Argentina tells their players that if they do not come now they will no longer play for their country, then there goes their World Cup opportunity and they are royally screwed.

At the end of the day the players are contracted to the clubs not fifa or their national team. In normal circumstances there would be no issue as playing for your country would not mean missing games for your club. But with covid it means missing up to 3 games.
If the clubs took fifa to court they would win. Or could possibly claim compensation. At the end of the day, the clubs are the players employer they pay their wages.

It's a similar situation as the esl and uefa. Uefa have to abide by the courts decision.

They got greedy and killed international football with far to many pointless games and to many international breaks.

Fifa are looking to change that. With the world cup being every 2 years. No international friendlies, less qualifiers (groups of 4 i think) played in the summer. So no internationals played during the season, with players given a minimum 5 week break in the summer.

At the end of the day the players are contracted to the clubs not fifa or their national team. In normal circumstances there would be no issue as playing for your country would not mean missing games for your club. But with covid it means missing up to 3 games.
If the clubs took fifa to court they would win. Or could possibly claim compensation. At the end of the day, the clubs are the players employer they pay their wages.

It's a similar situation as the esl and uefa. Uefa have to abide by the courts decision.

Yes, but like ESL, probably a PR disaster (why the English clubs left it to Barca/Real to take it to court)

People also need to gauge their bias, fudging Kane played against Andorra? really? (absolute unnecessary flimflam game, could easily get an injury worse than any quarantine period), where's the protest? but the bricky South Americans looking to play for their country should check who pays their salary?

Yes, but like ESL, probably a PR disaster (why the English clubs left it to Barca/Real to take it to court)

People also need to gauge their bias, fudging Kane played against Andorra? really? (absolute unnecessary flimflam game, could easily get an injury worse than any quarantine period), where's the protest? but the bricky South Americans looking to play for their country should check who pays their salary?

I've said in the romero thread i have no issue with him wanting to play for his country.

But saying that spurs have no right to tell them not to is just plain wrong.

Couldn’t agree more. I struggled to even raise interest in this year’s Euros.

Doesn’t help watching England is so dull

The Nation league (like the conference league) is a good idea, what has killed it is Big nations in it

having the minnows play each other and having some success does more for the development than getting batted by England etc.

Problem is they felt the need to have big countries/Teams in it, they don’t.

There needs to be a ranking cut off for qualifying in Europe before pre qualifying

How much have San Marino improved in 20 years? Maybe they have learnt to defend in a 6 4 0 slightly better?

Back