• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Giovani Lo Celso

Aston Villa duo Emiliano Martinez and Emiliano Buendia are planning on flying back to Europe on Monday following the controversial suspension of Argentina's World Cup qualifier with Brazil in Sao Paulo.

Martinez started the game in goal and was one of four Premier League-based players who were accused of not following strict Covid protocols upon entering Brazil with the Argentina national team.

As agreed with Villa, Martinez and Buendia were available for selection for the first two matches of the international break for Argentina, against Venezuela and Brazil

The pair will miss Argentina's third game against Bolivia in the early hours of Friday morning UK time.

Sky Sports News has been told Martinez and Buendia will fly to Croatia rather than the UK, so they can continue training before returning to England for their club

Can someone please explain why the likes of Liverpool refused their players to travel, and they complied; while our players thought they could do what the hell they wanted??? And did!!

We can talk about the shambles of South American football but in pointing our index finger at them, three fingers are pointing straight at our faces.

Spurs have no right to tell players not to play in a World Cup Qualifying match, especially as FIFA have told clubs they must release their players. As much as I love Spurs I would tell the club to Foxtrot Oscar if they tried that. If I were Romero or Lo Celso I would not pay a fine, not a fecking chance.

If Argentina tells their players that if they do not come now they will no longer play for their country, then there goes their World Cup opportunity and they are royally screwed.

I’m not sure you can blame the club much here. Seems like we did what we could to try and be somewhat understanding (given we don’t have a legal right to deny players wanting to go) and tried to work with the rest of the PL in a united stand. The reason being, FIFA might try and punish one club, but they wouldn’t punish an entire league.

Personally, I blame Gio and Romero. It’s all well and good wanting to play for your country. I get you want to help Messi get to his last tournament. But being ok with being unavailable for your club for 3 weeks, when you have barely been able to string a run of games together and when you’ve just joined respectively, is a tinkle take. At least Sanchez seems to have gone with the compromise.

Only Nuno, Levy and Fabio can know the reality and know how to handle this. But my reaction is sell them. Maybe we have certain situations (eg refusing to sell Kane) where Levy asks Lewis if we have the cover, because we need to take a stand and don’t want to be sent back. And in this instance, it’s a real tinkle take.

On the other hand, COVID is a tough, new situation for everyone. And we’re all still trying to think it through in various parts of our lives. But being unavailable for 3 weeks to the club that pays your wages to fly to a red zone country is just ridiculous. They should be punished.

They have previously had Copa Americas in 2015, 2016, 2019 so the authorities in South America could have easily delayed it for a year or two.

Personally, I blame Gio and Romero. It’s all well and good wanting to play for your country. I get you want to help Messi get to his last tournament. But being ok with being unavailable for your club for 3 weeks, when you have barely been able to string a run of games together and when you’ve just joined respectively, is a tinkle take. At least Sanchez seems to have gone with the compromise.

What happens if your are punished by no longer being selected for your country with a WC next year?

Tottenham duo Giovani Lo Celso and Cristian Romero are set to be fined by the club after joining up with the Argentina national squad without permission.

Sky Sports News has learned that Lo Celso and Romero will be disciplined for making the trip to South America for games against Venezuela and Brazil against the club's wishes, with both players expected to receive hefty fines.

Lo Celso and Romero are planning on flying to Croatia, along with Aston Villa's Emiliano Martinez and Emiliano Buendia, following the controversial suspension of Argentina's World Cup qualifier in Brazil to avoid having to quarantine. The four Argentine Premier League-based players were accused of not following strict Covid protocols upon entering Brazil.

Crucially, Buendia and Martinez have both followed the agreement set out with Villa before they left for the international break, and there is no suggestion they have done anything wrong, but the same cannot be said for the Tottenham duo.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...and-cristian-romero-after-defying-club-orders

What happens if your are punished by no longer being selected for your country with a WC next year?

I get it all, but I kind of come down on the side of people saying it’s a global pandemic, people have made massive sacrifices in all walks of life. People have missed funerals. Their parents dying. I missed my best friend’s wedding this weekend because of international travel restrictions, and I’ve never been more gutted. But my point is, all of the usual ‘they wanted to help Messi’, ‘they didn’t want to get punished by their country’ just doesn’t apply as much. There are international travel restrictions and quarantine periods the world over. It’s a different world. This sentimental stuff shouldn’t apply.

Every side should have more understanding. Spurs tried to be understanding as far as I can see. Maybe the Argie FA also could have compromised somewhat or showed understanding by being willing to release the players earlier or not threatening those players with punishment if they didn’t join? And maybe the players could have shown some understanding of the fact they’d be unavailable to the club that pay their wages for 3 weeks, and potentially have the exact same situation in a month’s time?

It’s ridiculous. But I don’t see how Spurs could have done any better here.

Spurs have no right to tell players not to play in a World Cup Qualifying match, especially as FIFA have told clubs they must release their players. As much as I love Spurs I would tell the club to Foxtrot Oscar if they tried that. If I were Romero or Lo Celso I would not pay a fine, not a fecking chance.

If Argentina tells their players that if they do not come now they will no longer play for their country, then there goes their World Cup opportunity and they are royally screwed.
The club have no right? Why not?

I get it all, but I kind of come down on the side of people saying it’s a global pandemic, people have made massive sacrifices in all walks of life. People have missed funerals. Their parents dying. I missed my best friend’s wedding this weekend because of international travel restrictions, and I’ve never been more gutted. But my point is, all of the usual ‘they wanted to help Messi’, ‘they didn’t want to get punished by their country’ just doesn’t apply as much. There are international travel restrictions and quarantine periods the world over. It’s a different world. This sentimental stuff shouldn’t apply.

It is not all a matter of wanting to help Messi, some players are actually patriotic and want to play for their country, not everybody is like Ryan Giggs and always pulls a sickie when it is time to play for their country.

And maybe the players could have shown some understanding of the fact they’d be unavailable to the club that pay their wages for 3 weeks, and potentially have the exact same situation in a month’s time?

Spurs cannot buy South American internationals and then bitch when they want to fly back to their come continent to represent their countries. That irritates me just as much as English clubs who whinge about African players who want to represent their various countries during the African Nations Cup. Mark my words in a a couple of years time their will be people on here complaining about Pape Matar Sarr because he has gone off to represent Senegal in Jan/Feb.

Harry Kane always wants to play for his country, do you honestly think if he were playing in another league he would stay with his club and reject the chance to play for his country? Hell No.

Because FIFA has designated this an official international break and all clubs have to release players if they wish to represent their country, simple
Like Liverpool, City, United and Chelsea did then? As long as little old Spurs bend over backwards to accomodate then eh?

Do you think Red Nose would have given a f*** about what the Argentinian FA said if he was in our position? This is what separates us from the true winners.... we are never ruthless enough. Whether it is playing a final or sticking to our position.

Didnhe ever outright refuse to release a player? I recall plenty of spurious ‘injuries’ but the player needs to be complicit in that.
I to wish generally that we were tougher on international breaks but I don’t honk there was a huge amount we could do in this instance.

Like Liverpool, City, United and Chelsea did then? As long as little old Spurs bend over backwards to accomodate then eh?

How many Argentine players play for Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool? Brazil decided not to call English based players, Argentina did, so what is your point?

How about next time you just not but an Argentine international, simples

Didnhe ever outright refuse to release a player? I recall plenty of spurious ‘injuries’ but the player needs to be complicit in that.
I to wish generally that we were tougher on international breaks but I don’t honk there was a huge amount we could do in this instance.

Maybe if you had a squad of 25 English men there would be no problem

Back