• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

Are you serious? Cech is still a VERY, VERY good GK!

I am, when last did Cech have a defense as bad as ours in front of him? Keepers that play for top level clubs need different attributes (specifically concentration, to be alert even after 30 minutes of spectating), we would probably be better off looking at a keeper that has been at a relegation club, the number of shots we allow.

troll_football_image_ef1faf5cc298230d8c6b63326b8c0422.jpg

I am, when last did Cech have a defense as bad as ours in front of him? Keepers that play for top level clubs need different attributes (specifically concentration, to be alert even after 30 minutes of spectating), we would probably be better off looking at a keeper that has been at a relegation club, the number of shots we allow.

nice one....

Erm...English please lol
You shouldn't answer messages when trying to commute!
I remember people saying the same thing about Clemence being past it and never really being that great a keeper anyway, he was just made to look good playing behind Liverpools great defence. Didn't agree then and don't about cech, think he would be great for us. Bonus is he is great leader and winner.

Posted my thoughts on the Timo Werner rumour in another thread, which were:

It would be an eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeextremely risky signing. Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near him. If, and its a huge if, we can get him for 1.5-2.75 million it MIGHT be worth a punt.

He had a monemental breakthrough when he was about 18. He was he next Reus etc. However definitely last season and the majprity of the season before that he has been simply woeful. He has been depolyed in a number of positions as Stuttgart try and revive all that promise he showed right at the start of his career.

We'd be buying a player that had a spectacular run of 15 games about 18 months - 2 seasons ago, and who has produced very, very little since then, and is far from a regular fixture in a team that just about avoided the drop. For example, Martin Harnik is a far far better player, and I'm not sure anyone would be clamouring to sign him. I'd leave well alone on this one, but I'm also sceptical that we have any genuine interest in him anyway, as the scouts will have seen his progression hit a brick wall.

To check i wasn't going mad I had a look through some Stuttgart forums, and they are saying the same thing. They are debating whether to stick with him or get rid. The consensus seems to be he is young enough to be given another season to try and recapture some form. One poster compares him to a player called Manual Fischer who was hyped as a huge talent, much in the same vain, who is now an impact sub for Kickers Offenbach in the third division.

http://forum.vfb.de/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5204&start=570

So much for any hope of a proper clear out.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/11/younes-kaboul-suitors-tottenham-hotspur-valuation

Younès Kaboul’s suitors may be put off by Tottenham’s £5m asking price

Younès Kaboul has been priced at £5m by the Tottenham Hotspur chairman, Daniel Levy, as the defender finds himself in a pickle that has become familiar to some of the club’s players. The centre-back, who was appointed as the captain by Mauricio Pochettino early last season only to go on to endure a nightmare campaign, has one year to run on his contract at White Hart Lane.

Levy often rewards players who add extra years to their deals with pay rises but he can become frustrated when their contracts run down and, by extension, their values on the transfer market drop. Kaboul believes he fell from favour over the second half of last season partly because of his situation – although the club disputes this.

The 29-year-old, who did not feature in the Premier League after 9 November, is keen to move to revive his career but interested clubs have been quoted £5m by Levy, which has discouraged them. This was the figure that Tottenham paid to re-sign Kaboul from Portsmouth in January 2010; Levy regularly seeks to recoup his outlay, at least, when he moves on players.

Kaboul did not agree to extra years on his deal when he was made the captain and there was no incentive for him to do so when he found himself out of the team. Levy’s high valuation of him, though, has made for impasse.

The club has completed the €6m (£4.35m) signing of the 22-year-old Austrian centre-half Kevin Wimmer from FC Köln and he will compete with Jan Vertonghen, Federico Fazio and Eric Dier for a starting place. Levy is ready to listen to offers for another central defender, Vlad Chiriches.

You shouldn't answer messages when trying to commute!
I remember people saying the same thing about Clemence being past it and never really being that great a keeper anyway, he was just made to look good playing behind Liverpools great defence. Didn't agree then and don't about cech, think he would be great for us. Bonus is he is great leader and winner.

Lol, thanks for clarifying :D

I don't think we should ask for any more than £2 million for Younes. I get that he's a good acquisition for a club like Watford, but we have no use for him and we don't need him sitting around the training ground for a year picking up his wages and not playing.

I worry that this is true because knowing the way that Levy does business (always selling before he buys) we are likely to be going deep into the transfer window again to do our business.

You don't go into negotiations quoting what you would actually accept. This might even be our way of inviting a bid.

You don't go into negotiations quoting what you would actually accept. This might even be our way of inviting a bid.

no no no no that isn't how you do business Jord - you have to offer players to clubs for nothing and bid your maximum when trying to sign players - and if after all that you have enough money left you have to offer your young players parity with the highest earners at the club, otherwise it's just not fair is it?

anyone would think you haven't read the Glory-Glory guide to football economics!

At the moment everyone in world football knows that Kaboul won't play for Spurs again. He's surplus to requirements and we will ultimately let him go on a free transfer rather than register him in the squad for next season and pay his wages. So on the face of it, Levy's valuation (somewhere between £5m and £10m depending on the paper you read) seems insane.

Except it's not insane when more than one team is in for the player. And even though Kaboul is theoretically worth nothing to us; he's clearly worth something to the clubs who are in for him - who will have to outbid one another to get their man. According to the media there are now at least two teams after his signature (Watford and Besiktas). Will one of them be willing to pay £5m to ensure they beat the other to Kaboul's signature? It's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility... so as an opening position in negotiations, Levy is spot-on with this.

Back