• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

According to the front page of today’s edition of A Bola, two Benfica players could be on their way to London clubs in the form of Nicolas Gaitan and Eduardo Salvio.

The Portuguese newspaper claims the Primeira Liga club’s president Luis Felipe Vieira and football agent Jorge Mendes have both flown to London in an attempt to sell the duo.

The report suggests that Tottenham have particular interest in Salvio, while Gaitan has been linked with a move to White Hart Lane in the past (as reported by the Independent among others).

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015...ndon-to-discuss-eduardo-salvio-switch/page/1/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...ster-united-transfers-nicolas-gaitans-5746755

Gaitan apparently off to UTD according to the mirror whilst Salvio is off to PSG.

With regards to us. Gaitan would be fighting Chadli for his spot whilst Salvio would likely walk into the RWF position. Gaitan is 27 and this could be his last chance at getting a big move. Salvio is younger and has been linked with Liverpool for a while. I could see us getting him. Looking at the prices mind and what has been said about how we are planning to approach this window, I'm not sure either of them would be coming our way.

Not at all impressed with transfer dealings under Pochettino. We only seems to be linked with unknown or young players nowadays. Was not convinced of any of his 6 signings this season : Vorm, Davies, Dier, Fazio, Stambouli and Yedlin. Strange thing was, even Pochettino didn't seem convinced of Fazio ad Stambouli as he didn't play them much this season.

Not at all impressed with transfer dealings under Pochettino. We only seems to be linked with unknown or young players nowadays. Was not convinced of any of his 6 signings this season : Vorm, Davies, Dier, Fazio, Stambouli and Yedlin. Strange thing was, even Pochettino didn't seem convinced of Fazio ad Stambouli as he didn't play them much this season.

Which has always been our best way of dealing..

We will never progress with that policy which is what Levy seems to follow. Remember, our aim has been top 4 for the last 10 years or so now. We will never reach top 2 or 3 with this policy.

We will never progress with that policy which is what Levy seems to follow. Remember, our aim has been top 4 for the last 10 years or so now. We will never reach top 2 or 3 with this policy.

We have progressed with that policy. We went from mid table club with no ambition to a club fighting top four every season. When we signed experienced Premier League players it got us absolutely no where for years.

Huddlestone, Lennon, Ekotto, Bale, Kaboul, Rose, Modric, Walker, Sandro all young or unknown at the time of signing. All laid foundations to what was our most exciting team in years and our most successful within that time period too. Sure, you had experience in there as well of King, Parker, Defoe too and I wouldn't mind the odd experienced signing here and there, a James Milner on a free transfer, but lets not kid ourselves and say that signing young and unknown is bad.

We are Tottenham, this is what we do. We buy young talented players and as we cannot compete with the big boys, we will sell on our best young players we've signed for ridiculous sums of money and look to replace them.

We signed the above for round about £45,000,000 and we've recouped £130,500,000 from sellin them. Considering we still have 4 of those mentioned above, that is pretty damn good. We are still competing for top four every year, albeit not quite all the way to the end of the season but lets not forget within that time we've had 6 managers with all different styles of football and philosophies.

Experience can only get you so far, although I do agree it is needed.

Is that not a subjective view though? Plus, unless you're a scout (or FM expert) then there is a chance you may not have heard of them.

We have progressed with that policy. We went from mid table club with no ambition to a club fighting top four every season. When we signed experienced Premier League players it got us absolutely no where for years.

Huddlestone, Lennon, Ekotto, Bale, Kaboul, Rose, Modric, Walker, Sandro all young or unknown at the time of signing. All laid foundations to what was our most exciting team in years and our most successful within that time period too. Sure, you had experience in there as well of King, Parker, Defoe too and I wouldn't mind the odd experienced signing here and there, a James Milner on a free transfer, but lets not kid ourselves and say that signing young and unknown is bad.

We are Tottenham, this is what we do. We buy young talented players and as we cannot compete with the big boys, we will sell on our best young players we've signed for ridiculous sums of money and look to replace them.

We signed the above for round about £45,000,000 and we've recouped £130,500,000 from sellin them. Considering we still have 4 of those mentioned above, that is pretty damn good. We are still competing for top four every year, albeit not quite all the way to the end of the season but lets not forget within that time we've had 6 managers with all different styles of football and philosophies.

Experience can only get you so far, although I do agree it is needed.

It was great to step up from a mid table team to a top 6 team. But our progress have stalled since then. We have not progressed much in the last 10 years. It was satisfying when we finished in 5th in 2006 and 2007 but it is no longer so. We need to step up fast or we will be left far behind the top 4 teams. I think the gap between the top 4 and us are growing every year. To close that gap, we need far more experience than youth in the team.

It was great to step up from a mid table team to a top 6 team. But our progress have stalled since then. We have not progressed much in the last 10 years. It was satisfying when we finished in 5th in 2006 and 2007 but it is no longer so. We need to step up fast or we will be left far behind the top 4 teams. I think the gap between the top 4 and us are growing every year. To close that gap, we need far more experience than youth in the team.

Yeah cos you win nothing with kids....

What we need are signings that are better than the players their replacing. We signed players recently who were worse than the ones they replaced and its cost us, whoever we have had youngsters step up and keep some momentum going (as small as that may be)

Last time we went out and signed players with known names it backfired. Paulinho was being hailed as the Brazilian Lampard and Soldado one of the best strikers in Spain. Go back further and look at how Bentley and Bent did.

Aside from that, until we get the new stadium i don't think anything higher than 4th is achievable and that is an outside chance. UTD, Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea will buy their way into the top 3 every year and Arsenal will always be hanging around up there. Until we have the ability to pay the wages of top level players, this route is what we have to follow. It's frustrating I agree.

He's got a point - we need to keep signing the likes of Shevchenko, Rivaldo, Morientes,

Forget those hype only players or good players in average leagues like Bale, Berbatov, Carrick, Modric

I would say we have stabilised our position over the past ten years and finished 4th in 20% of those seasons.

Being consistently top 4 in the most competitive Lge in the world requires a combination of few of following;
a lot of money
Signing that hit the ground running and destroy the Lge ( Berba - not too many of those around)
At least one established team to falter
All the other teams trying to make top4 to also not be as good.

Not exactly an easy task.

Last time we went out and signed players with known names it backfired. Paulinho was being hailed as the Brazilian Lampard and Soldado one of the best strikers in Spain. Go back further and look at how Bentley and Bent did.

Aside from that, until we get the new stadium i don't think anything higher than 4th is achievable and that is an outside chance. UTD, Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea will buy their way into the top 3 every year and Arsenal will always be hanging around up there. Until we have the ability to pay the wages of top level players, this route is what we have to follow. It's frustrating I agree.

It's defintley possible to break the top 4 before then, if the stars allign and several of our prospects develop together to a high level then we can have a team worthy of going toe to toe with the teams above - as we saw in 11/12 (a team worthy of being champions imho) of course until we're in a position to compete financially with the teams above such teams of ours will more than likely be picked apart.

Cementing our position aroudn 5th and 6th in the league, alongside winning the odd cup, is all thats achieveable until we have a new stadium (unless you know the next Sir Alex Ferguson, can convince him to come to Spurs and somehow prevent him from leaving). We cant afford to pay £30m+ for players in their prime or compete on wages with the top 4. If we finish 5th or 6th for the next few seasons while the stadium is being built then we've been successful and after that then we may have the chance to kick on further

Back