• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

I'm all for giving Mason and our other youngsters our support AND patience.
But to compare him to Modric in making that point? Simply RIDICULOUS

Reactions: DTA
Erm, just had a quick peek at the thread.

It appears some people are comparing Mason to Modric? Surely that can't be right?

Is this real life, or have I woken up in some strange parallel universe?

Not quite, just the usual taking things out of context to have a rant, followed by a long and fairly pointless discussion.

Erm, just had a quick peek at the thread.

It appears some people are comparing Mason to Modric? Surely that can't be right?

Is this real life, or have I woken up in some strange parallel universe?

Only because we've got the hindsight of seeing the player Modric became. 12 months into his Spurs career the jury was still very much out.

I think they are very similar players. Both tough despite their size, always looking to move the ball on as quickly as possible and usually forward.

Modric had a bit more finesse in his passing and better defensive positioning, but Mason has a better engine and I think is more effective in the final third (gets into better positions and shooting).

Which context could encompass both Modric and Mason? Spurs players whose names begin with M?
I'll have a closer look through...

It's not supposed to be a direct comparison between the two, just pointing out that Modric wasn't the finished article in his first season. In all likelihood Mason will improve for the experience gained this season. Whether he will become a first team regular remains to be seen, but I don't think it was suggested he would become as good as Modric.

I see kevin prince boateng is available on a free after being sacked by shalke. Cheeky bid??

What happened to him?.. Not long ago he was at AC Milan and everyone saying how we didn't get the best out of him and he was actually a decent player, then forward on a year or so and he's gone back to Germany and not done too well and is being linked with the MLS. That guy has had a strange career so far!

Only because we've got the hindsight of seeing the player Modric became. 12 months into his Spurs career the jury was still very much out.

I think they are very similar players. Both tough despite their size, always looking to move the ball on as quickly as possible and usually forward.

Modric had a bit more finesse in his passing and better defensive positioning, but Mason has a better engine and I think is more effective in the final third (gets into better positions and shooting).

Again, I cannot remember Modric being worse than Mason in any of those categories: in contrast, I can easily remember him being much, much better than Mason has been.

They aren't similar players beyond the fact that they both play in similar positions and nominally occupy the same roles. Mason is a good player, and I'm less than impressed by those who would overlook that: he took his chance, and has proven surprisingly capable at times in that deep-lying role, playing with energy and making some good passes. But he isn't Modric. And likely never will be: Modric's defensive positioning, tracking, passing in the final third, shooting, bursts from midfield and tactical nous were and are miles above what Mason's shown this season, and are why he is considered Real Madrid's lynchpin, an unimaginable change from the perceptions around him when he first went there. That part needs to be understood too.

Hyperbole gets us nowhere when talking about our youth players, and in fact may unduly influence perceptions of what they can actually do.

12 months into his Spurs career he was clearly a very very good player, to compare them is madness Mason is not even close to what Modric was after 12 months. To say hes more effective in the final third is very wrong, unless you are going by his one decent strike against Forest, maybe better to look at the chances he has missed in crucial games like United at home & City at home. Unfortunately hes not the answer and his level has dropped considerably. If you swapped him for Parker in his first season with us I would say we would be 10 points better off and certainly wouldnt be leaking goals the way we are.

12 months into his Spurs career he was clearly a very very good player, to compare them is madness Mason is not even close to what Modric was after 12 months. To say hes more effective in the final third is very wrong, unless you are going by his one decent strike against Forest, maybe better to look at the chances he has missed in crucial games like United at home & City at home. Unfortunately hes not the answer and his level has dropped considerably. If you swapped him for Parker in his first season with us I would say we would be 10 points better off and certainly wouldnt be leaking goals the way we are.

Whilst I agree that Gutter Boy has been way over the top in his praise there has been a big negative swing lately towards Mason that he is rightfully highlighting

Your examples here if the chances against City and United are exactly that. United was a lung busting run that no one in our team has done at any other point. Yes he missed but bloody hell he worked hard to get there and showed quality and vision in doing so. The same can be said of the city game. I can name plenty of spurs players that day alone who wouldn't have ran 2 yards to get into dose let alone the 10 he did

Parker IMO in the current team would be functional but we would still be leaking goals like a sieve as we simply Do t work hard enough defensively as a unit and we certainly don't lead from the front enough. I can't think of game since west brim away wher all three behind Kane actually played well... When I see Chelsea play their front 3 behind whoever is up front are nearly always the hardest working players on the pitch. They have the best defensive record and I'd guess they have the least amount Of shots at them due to they work everyone does

This is a transfer thread being overtaken by how Mason is a weak link. I've said it a lot... If we can get a better player in than any of the current side, including Kane then we should do it. That's what you have to do t po progress. If the player comes from withung then great and if not, let's buy the right players please to back a manager fully for once

Has anyone thought about who our forward options are for the summer?

We can't have someone who's guaranteed a start over Kane, or who costs enough for both the fans and the player himself to feel like he deserves a place in the starting eleven: hence, that probably rules out the Lacazettes, Berahinos and Bentekes of this world, if we were ever interested in showing that level of ambition.

We have two potential options to fill that second/rotation striker role here in the PL, namely Ings, who will be on a free, and Charlie Austin, who'll cost us a sub ten-million pound fee going by recent media speculation. I think both wouldn't really demand a start as much as some other strikers would, but they do come with the danger of having competing players for limited spots in the England squad fighting for the same spots at their club as well. Plus, Ings seems set for Liverpool anyway.

Beyond that, there are those foreign options: we were linked to Simone Zaza earlier on for a fee of some 13 million quid (Sassuolo's sporting director said we'd made a bid of that value, if I remember correctly), and then there are probably loads of cheap strikers on small fees (like that Claudio Beauvue chap we're now being linked with) that wouldn't cost a bomb and wouldn't rock the boat either.

Finally, there's Rickie Lambert, who I have the strangest feeling about: for some reason, I can't shake off the idea that Poch is still interested in picking up the guy on the cheap as backup for Kane. He seems to tick all the boxes: he'd be dirt cheap after the season he's had, he probably wouldn't demand a start, and being experienced in Poch's system he'd probably offer something different to Kane and possibly aid him in his own development as well.

Any other options I've forgotten about? Oh, I've assumed Soldado will be staying because a) he doesn't rock the boat, b) no one will pay anything for him, and c) given all the outgoings we're likely to see, I doubt he'd be sold even if a semi-decent offer came in, as that would mean too much upheaval for one window.

Say-it-real-fast mentions of Mason in the same breath as Modrić are more (highly) wishful thinking, in my view. There aren't many areas where he'd compare favourably, if that's what you're trying to do. He's probably got less of a рussу shot on him, but then, is his on-target ratio much better? Probably not a great deal in it, if I'm any judge.

I was on here early laughing when people were saying Luka wasn't strong enough, reminding people about Ardiles and knowing that once Redknapp realized what he had, the guy would be superb for us. So personally-speaking, the jury wasn't out for me mate. Mason? I think he is a very good player, but I don't think he will ever have the influence on our team that Modric did mate.

Reactions: DTA
I was on here early laughing when people were saying Luka wasn't strong enough, reminding people about Ardiles and knowing that once Redknapp realized what he had, the guy would be superb for us. So personally-speaking, the jury wasn't out for me mate. Mason? I think he is a very good player, but I don't think he will ever have the influence on our team that Modric did mate.

I agree " rent a quote " wasted Modic by playing out on the left, he is one of the best players I have seen in a Spurs shirt and I go all the way back to the double team. Any comparison with Mason is crazy ( imo) Mason is a decent player and again ( imo) will never be anymore then that.

Where the the transfer rumours gwan! :p

Actually can't find much apart from Lamela to Inter...

Last edited:
Re Schneiderlin: http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...urites-to-sign-southampton-star-10247178.html

Today has seen a brick load of bets being made on Schneiderlin signing for Spurs come the summer. The odds on him coming to us have significantly shortened to put us ahead of the gooners. It is only the bookies, but where there's smoke and all that...

Re Ayew: He could be going anywhere apparenlty, with a lot of clubs in the BPL waiting to make him a contract offer.

Kamil Gilk: 27 y/o CB at Torino is apparently on our radar with our main competition coming from UTD.
Thauvin: According to the Marseille chairman there has been no further contact from us regarding the sale of Thauvin.

I read the other day that we are interested in Fischer who has just recently got back into the Ajax side after a lengthy time out with an injury.

Also this mornings stories have certain papers saying that Scneiderlin to Arsenal has been a done deal for a couple of months and that UTD only rate Lloris at £20 million

I'd like FIscher, was very highly rated a while back. If the injury wasn't too bad then someone worth looking at.

Also this mornings stories have certain papers saying that Scneiderlin to Arsenal has been a done deal for a couple of months and that UTD only rate Lloris at £20 million

I'd love that to be true. Because I'm pretty sure Levy would want at least twice that for him.

Back