• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

Mason is well ahead of where Schneiderlin was at the same age (he was playing in the Championship when he was Mason's age).

Mason's season has actually been very similar to Modric's first (people forget how inconsistent Modric was that first year and how criticised he was for giving the ball away too much).

There you go again compering a average CM player ( Mason) to one of the best CM players in the world, I am sure you are his agent.

Mason is well ahead of where Schneiderlin was at the same age (he was playing in the Championship when he was Mason's age).

Mason's season has actually been very similar to Modric's first (people forget how inconsistent Modric was that first year and how criticised he was for giving the ball away too much).

Modric showed more vision and guile in his first year than Mason will probably ever achieve in his career...

Last edited:
Any gossip on players out yet? We must have about 10 players being touted about, gotta be some interest brewing in one or two.

Quick question here; Why are clubs signing players ahead of the transfer window?? I was always under the impression that you couldn't sign a player until the window opened, but Depay and Kruse have both just signed for clubs yet we are still in May. I didn't think pre-contracts like this were possible unless the player was going to be a free agent come the summer.

Second post for rumours:

Claudio Beauvue at Guingamp is a 27 year old striker who has goals and assists to his name this season. He can play anywhere across the front line and is rumoured to be available for £6 million.
http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/25-goals-6-assists-6-million.html

Lloris isn't for sale for anything less than £30 million apparently. Levy has named his price and Cech is the man we want to replace Lloris should he be sold.

Paulinho could be on his way to Fiorentina.

Kaboul could be off to Watford.

Quick question here; Why are clubs signing players ahead of the transfer window?? I was always under the impression that you couldn't sign a player until the window opened, but Depay and Kruse have both just signed for clubs yet we are still in May. I didn't think pre-contracts like this were possible unless the player was going to be a free agent come the summer.

You can sign a player any time you want. Their registration can only be transferred during a transfer window and he will have to play for his current club until such time.

There you go again compering a average CM player ( Mason) to one of the best CM players in the world, I am sure you are his agent.

Was he one of the best CM players in the world in his first season with us (when he primarily played as a LM when looking good iirc)?

The point about development from the age where Mason is now is a valid one, even if GB is perhaps overrating Mason a bit at the moment.

And by the way, Schneiderlin was playing Premier League football at Masons age. Scoring 5 goals in his debut season.

I find it rather laughable that Mason is being compared to Modric though, two players couldn't be more different.

This is Modric in his first season for us...

I am aware the second link wasnt his first season, but damn he was so good :(

Last edited:
And by the way, Schneiderlin was playing Premier League football at Masons age. Scoring 5 goals in his debut season.

I find it rather laughable that Mason is being compared to Modric though, two players couldn't be more different.

This is Modric in his first season for us...

I am aware the second link wasnt his first season, but damn he was so good :(

It would be easy to do a compilation of all Mason's best bits from this season too.

People forget how Modric got overrun and was regularly criticised for giving the ball away. He spent a lot of his first season at left midfield, because he wasn't up to the job at CM.

Now I think Modric became one of the best CMs in the world, but people shouldn't compare Mason to the 27 year old Modric we sold, but the 23 year old we signed. Their first seasons are fairly comparable.

Mason is so far away from Modric it's not comparable. I cant believe the two are actually being compared. Laughable at best.

Mason is no more than a Steve Sidwell. Without the goals.

It would be easy to do a compilation of all Mason's best bits from this season too.

People forget how Modric got overrun and was regularly criticised for giving the ball away. He spent a lot of his first season at left midfield, because he wasn't up to the job at CM.

Now I think Modric became one of the best CMs in the world, but people shouldn't compare Mason to the 27 year old Modric we sold, but the 23 year old we signed. Their first seasons are fairly comparable.
Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me, but I don't remember Modric getting overrun or being criticised for giving the ball away? Also I don't think that Modric spent his first season at LM because "he wasn't up to the job".... More that he needed time to adapt to English football and you tend to get a little more time and space playing wider.

To take your point about comparing the 23 year old Modric to Mason - I wonder how Mason would get on playing in that same wider midfield position that Modric played for us?.... My thoughts are that Mason wouldn't be particularly effective there.

He played attacking left for Dinamo Zagreb so it was hardly like we shafted him out there. It took him a while to adapt to central midfield, sure, because he rarely played there in the past. He was brilliant from the left, it wasn't until we had Bale pushed him that we started putting Modric centrally (because he was too good to leave out) and he flourished.

Was he one of the best CM players in the world in his first season with us (when he primarily played as a LM when looking good iirc)?

The point about development from the age where Mason is now is a valid one, even if GB is perhaps overrating Mason a bit at the moment.

Disagree, there is a lot of rubbish spoken about Modric being overrun in his first season. " Rent a quote' wasted him on the left many of us said that at the time and we were proved right. But even from the left he did so much good for us then Mason has done, chalk and cheese and the comparison is ridiculous (imo).

Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me, but I don't remember Modric getting overrun or being criticised for giving the ball away? Also I don't think that Modric spent his first season at LM because "he wasn't up to the job".... More that he needed time to adapt to English football and you tend to get a little more time and space playing wider.

To take your point about comparing the 23 year old Modric to Mason - I wonder how Mason would get on playing in that same wider midfield position that Modric played for us?.... My thoughts are that Mason wouldn't be particularly effective there.

Mason surely also similarly should be given time to adapt considering that this is his first PL season?

I think Mason could do fine in a wide left role with more attacking freedom and a bit less defensive responsibility than he currently has.

He played attacking left for Dinamo Zagreb so it was hardly like we shafted him out there. It took him a while to adapt to central midfield, sure, because he rarely played there in the past. He was brilliant from the left, it wasn't until we had Bale pushed him that we started putting Modric centrally (because he was too good to leave out) and he flourished.

He played the deeper central midfield role for Croatia before joining up with us.

He was very good from the left, better than Mason imo. But he was also relatively effectively replaced on the left by Kranjcar when he was injured.

I agree that Modric showed more ability and talent at that age than Mason has this season. But I think the difference gets overstated by some (whilst understated by GB).

The overall point is that Modric pushed on big time from that initial season. Plenty of room for development for Mason as well, even though his ceiling is lower. A more apt comparison in terms of actual ability is perhaps someone like Henderson. But as a comparison point for development for a player that age Modric is not completely wide of the mark.

Back