• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

I think those bitching about late activity don't understand the stakeholders

- it's us, the selling club, the player and other interested clubs

People point out the fact that we did our defensive business early, but are taking long with midfield and attackers

The most reasonable theory has always been (in addition to sometimes the selling club needs to find a replacement), the players we usually look at are on the cusp of playing for a top 4 side, hence the player/selling club usually waits to see if they can get a bigger club to bite for more money.

- is it then a coincidence that this year it seemed that none of the big clubs were really going for defenders (or if they have, they specifically identified them ala Stones), so we got our defensive business done early. However a lot of clubs are buying midfield/attacking options, and those are taking more time.

Well there was a rather optimistic ITK saying we're gonna spunk 30 odd mil before the window shuts - so maybe you're on to something!

N'Jie
Berahino
Bender

Lovely jubbly

We are currently £15m in profit. With perhaps £15m to come from Soldado and Lennon. So £30m to play with

That's about £45m worth of players you've listed there.

Where could the other £15m come from? A couple of Fazio, Carroll and Dembele perhaps?

People point out the fact that we did our defensive business early, but are taking long with midfield and attackers

The most reasonable theory has always been (in addition to sometimes the selling club needs to find a replacement), the players we usually look at are on the cusp of playing for a top 4 side, hence the player/selling club usually waits to see if they can get a bigger club to bite for more money.

- is it then a coincidence that this year it seemed that none of the big clubs were really going for defenders (or if they have, they specifically identified them ala Stones), so we got our defensive business done early. However a lot of clubs are buying midfield/attacking options, and those are taking more time.

They do that every year, hence so many that have been snatched from under our noses at the last minute. As soon as someone half decent looks to be on the move Chelsea start thinking they could always use another AM or City another striker. One or two years later these players have either become superstars or more likely been shipped off to Italy or Germany so we still can't have them.

We are currently £15m in profit. With perhaps £15m to come from Soldado and Lennon. So £30m to play with

That's about £45m worth of players you've listed there.

Where could the other £15m come from? A couple of Fazio, Carroll and Dembele perhaps?
You believe as me that we won't go over break even this window regarding the new stadium?

we signed Wimmer, Trippier and Alderweireld who I dont see fitting in at any of the top 4 clubs so even if they were in for defenders i think they would have been after bigger names anyway. Wimmer and Trippier are not even first choices for us.

A lot of clubs are buying midfield attacking options but again the players we have identified i dont think would be on their wishlists. Njie, Werner, Hernandez and even Berahino are not top 4 class players, not yet.

i think we have deliberately identified mid level cheapish players so that we are not caught up in a battle with a top 4 team

Number of CL winners in each club's squad:

1 Chelsea 5
2 Manchester United 5
3 Stoke 4 (not including Shaqiri)
4 Liverpool 2
5 Sunderland 2
6 Arsenal 1
7 Emirates Marketing Project 1
8 Southampton 1
9 West Bromwich Albion 1

They do that every year, hence so many that have been snatched from under our noses at the last minute. As soon as someone half decent looks to be on the move Chel53a start thinking they could always use another AM or City another striker. One or two years later these players have either become superstars or more likely been shipped off to Italy or Germany so we still can't have them.

And I think therein lies one of the reasons why we have not concluded our transfer dealings.

Newly promoted Championship side Bristol City have had a £6 million offer for Dwight Gayle accepted by Crystal Palace. :eek:o_O

Liverpool fans across the globe are celebrating. :D

You believe as me that we won't go over break even this window regarding the new stadium?

Of course we won't. We've been keeping to zero net spend for 6 years now. Another 3/4 (when the stadium opens), and we'll have done our decade of austerity, just like Arsenal had to

Of course we won't. We've been keeping to zero net spend for 6 years now. Another 3/4 (when the stadium opens), and we'll have done our decade of austerity, just like Ar5ena1 had to
Agreed. The big question then is: Do we have the oportunity to spend from Day 1 as we have salted down some millions, or do you think we have to do like Arsenal?

Agreed. The big question then is: Do we have the oportunity to spend from Day 1 as we have salted down some millions, or do you think we have to do like Ar5ena1?

I think what GB is implying is that we will have had our lean spending years by the time we move in so can start spending straight away, however I'm not sure if there's much indication that the money we're 'saving' by having zero net spend is being put toward the stadium

Agreed. The big question then is: Do we have the oportunity to spend from Day 1 as we have salted down some millions, or do you think we have to do like Ar5ena1?

I think that is the big question. I think the stadium was estimated to cost £400m but that was before the NFL agreement revisions. If you make that £450m, we've already spent £100+m, so there's still a fair amount to claw back. It will all depend on how much is left to finance after naming rights, and over what period we will pay that off.

I think that is the big question. I think the stadium was estimated to cost £400m but that was before the NFL agreement revisions. If you make that £450m, we've already spent £100+m, so there's still a fair amount to claw back. It will all depend on how much is left to finance after naming rights, and over what period we will pay that off.

- We have spent most of the money re land and some of the non stadium buildings already, your £100+m estimate is probably fair.
- Naming rights will be at least £100m, likely some kind of 5 year deal, £20+m a year would be realistic expectation
- That gets you down to £200+m left outstanding, which is quite manageable for our turnover, but what you then count is
- How much do we get from NFL deal?
- The money from increased tv revenue (significant through next 3 years), if we stay at net spend 0, how much does that pay down stadium?
- Some kind of even deal, where we get some pre commit on events at cheaper price for number of engagements

I actually can see us moving into the stadium with a very low debt (we might actually choose to keep some debt vs. none based on how that works for accounting/tax. I think we will be far better off in our first 5 years at our new stadium that the Scum ever were.

The figures were £450m for new WHL, or £250m for the same stadium on the Olympic site. Which implies £200m was for land acquisition and other pre-build costs.

As we are debt free, presumably all the money invested since 2008 has made up that £200m. So with NFL and sponsorship chipping away at the £250m, we might not have much left hanging over by 2018

- We have spent most of the money re land and some of the non stadium buildings already, your £100+m estimate is probably fair.
- Naming rights will be at least £100m, likely some kind of 5 year deal, £20+m a year would be realistic expectation
- That gets you down to £200+m left outstanding, which is quite manageable for our turnover, but what you then count is
- How much do we get from NFL deal?
- The money from increased tv revenue (significant through next 3 years), if we stay at net spend 0, how much does that pay down stadium?
- Some kind of even deal, where we get some pre commit on events at cheaper price for number of engagements

I actually can see us moving into the stadium with a very low debt (we might actually choose to keep some debt vs. none based on how that works for accounting/tax. I think we will be far better off in our first 5 years at our new stadium that the Scum ever were.

I definitely agree with that but remember we won't have the Champions League revenue that they had. We will also have the increased revenue from attendance and boxes.

The figures were £450m for new WHL, or £250m for the same stadium on the Olympic site. Which implies £200m was for land acquisition and other pre-build costs.

As we are debt free, presumably all the money invested since 2008 has made up that £200m. So with NFL and sponsorship chipping away at the £250m, we might not have much left hanging over by 2018

Yes but the £450m was the old design and does not include the retractable pitch and the additional basement works. We're also not debt free. We have £32m of debt. We're going to have to get a significant amount of finance to pay for the stadium. How much is the question.

Yes but the £450m was the old design and does not include the retractable pitch and the additional basement works. We're also not debt free. We have £32m of debt. We're going to have to get a significant amount of finance to pay for the stadium. How much is the question.

£32 million is peanuts. No more than a cash overdraft for PL club. I think we've done exceptionally well to get this far on the stadium (training centre complete, all the land purchased, ground works underway) without taking on any significant debt.

Back