• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

Haha, it'll come back after this Saturday I'm sure :) I guess it just feel likes Dubai and, to to a lesser extent, you have an agenda and just hate everything. At least I hated what i was seeing. I mean, if we can't be positive and excited before we kick a ball when can we!!

I'm sure you didn't used to be negative, what happened?

absolutely no agenda. I make plenty of positive posts, plenty of negative ones, i just speak my mind honestly and say it as i see it.

Im very happy with the way the squad has shaped up, weve managed to get rid of a lot of deadwood and quickly too, loving the promotion of some more kids in Onomah and Winks, very much excited to see what Pritchard brings to the group this season, I think Alli will force his way into a starting place very soon. Levy has done great work with the stadium too, the plans look unreal............what bothers me? not strengthening the attack until now. For me it was just as much as a priority as the defence was. I do think Levy likes to negotiate hard and is not concerned too much if we leave deals till late in the window, somehow imo he gets a great thrill from this. i might be wrong but its just my opinion. Another thing that concerns me is that we still dont look like a team who is very fluid in the final 3rd. I would like us to be more daring and creative going forward. I dont mind us not competing for the top 4, but along the way id love us to play better football in the attacking sense, to inject more speed and score more goals

I think that they would have closed the gap quicker (and cheaper) if they had identified weaknesses in their team and tried to strengthen them rather than the kid in a sweet shop approach that they have taken.

Last year they panicked as they missed out on the top 4 and their approach was to buy every big name they could, this year their signings have been far more concentrated.

I'd say they would both be an upgrade on Lamela and Townsend, personally.
While that may or may not be true, I think it is only worth signing players who could be a significant upgrade as opposed to ones where it is debatable whether or not they are any better than what we have. As we've not really got the finances to be in the market for ready made stars that means young, promising players who could become stars in the future. I think the club's policy at the moment is the right one.... It seems that this Summer we have been after the likes of Martial, N'Jie and Berahino. I think I would rather sign any of these than Affelay or Shaquiri.

Coutinho was bombed out by Inter. Some players just need the right environment, maybe Shaqiri will fit in well at Stoke under Hughes.

Whoa that's anthought provoking post

coutinho for me looked awful at Inter and didn't look great to start with a Liverpool. He also doesn't impact games anywhere nears a Lexus as he should with his clear ability. What I believe has never been questioned is his attitude

shaquiri to me has all the talent to be a top top player. The only concern I would have is that he is apparently more into lifting weights than running miles

Hughes could be the man to get him back on track

I think that they would have closed the gap quicker (and cheaper) if they had identified weaknesses in their team and tried to strengthen them rather than the kid in a sweet shop approach that they have taken.

the sweet shop approach was last summer, mainly with DiMaria and the Falcao loan. Shaw and Hererea were signing already agreed in principle from David moyes time and LVG just went along with them even though i dont think he particularly rates them

however this summer they have definitely targeted areas that needed strengthening and their buys look good. Ive said all along Schneiderlin will be the signing of the summer. Theyve got a bargain and he will work wonders protecting that back 4 and also provide a link going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know enough about the guy tbh. But to say we shouldn't because he hasn't succeeded elsewhere doesn't necessarily stack up. Henry and Viera didn't do well in Italy before Ar5ena1 brought them in whereas shevchenko was a disaster. If he's properly scouted to fit a role we need to strengthen I don't see why not.

It's a myth that Henry didn't do well in Italy, he did very well at Juve but was playing as a winger- Wenger thought he could take him to the next level by converting him to striker and he was right. Vieira wasn't playing much at Milan but that was at a time when Milan had one of the best teams on the planet, not like he wasn't good for them.

Shaqiri meanwhile has failed to get into one of the worst Inter teams of all time that finished midtable and they're desperately trying to get rid of him 8 months after buying him- what does that say? The same happened at Bayern so he's either very poor in training, a disruptive influence or both.

I love this kind of post that makes out that fans who are ambitious and want to see their club do well are mindless idiots who will endanger the future of our club. It's like football is a hobby. It is a business like any other you snooze you lose. Seeing as it is a competition there has to be an element of "keeping up with the Jones." We need to compete with other clubs or we will be left behind. Occasionally the club need to stick it's neck out and get the manager his first choice. No one is saying bank crupt the club. We are a long way from that. There is a thing on this board if you challenge the established thinking you are an idiot.

So you think it woukd be ambitious and make good business sense to spend £15m on a player who has failed spectacularly at a midtable Serie A club- you also say he'd be an upgrade on Lamela and Townsend- on what basis- have you even see the guy play in recent seasons? My mate is an Inter fan and he's been terrible whenever he got on the pitch.

You could make a highlight video of both Townsend and Lamela that woukd make them look world class- that's what Shaqiri was at Basel, a highlight reel player.

Alderweireld took weeks, though. As did Trippier: there were a rush of articles claiming we were close to signing him, and then it took another two weeks before we actually confirmed it.

By contrast, Rondon was linked to West Brom a couple of days ago and was officially signed today.

Yes, we do do deals quickly (Wimmer was a quick one, I agree: as was Alli) at times. And certainly, other clubs probably take their time with some deals as well. However, there are certainly grounds for suggesting that, for us, quick deals are rarer than the ones where we seemingly haggle for weeks on end before finally concluding an often torturous saga that many are just relieved to see end. :p

If i remember rightly this delay wasn't purely down to us. He was on loan at Southampton who believed they had a right to buy him for a cheap £6m as part of the loan deal. We came in with a higher bid which Atletico accepted, and led to Southampton throwing a strop and threatening legal action. It then turned out that Atletico could gotten themselves out of the loan deal with a 2m fee. Saints claimed the deadline for this had expired. And on an on it went. TBH i thought it would drag out to deadline day. I was pleasantly surprised we got him that quickly personally.

If i remember rightly this delay wasn't purely down to us. He was on loan at Southampton who believed they had a right to buy him for a cheap £6m as part of the loan deal. We came in with a higher bid which Atletico accepted, and led to Southampton throwing a strop and threatening legal action. It then turned out that Atletico could gotten themselves out of the loan deal with a 2m fee. Saints claimed the deadline for this had expired. And on an on it went. TBH i thought it would drag out to deadline day. I was pleasantly surprised we got him that quickly personally.

It wasn't long after the transfer window started though was it

I know we can so all the leg work before hand but we couldn't sign anyone before the 1st July anyway and Atletico had that agreement with SCBC in place with a timeline attached

So you think it woukd be ambitious and make good business sense to spend £15m on a player who has failed spectacularly at a midtable Serie A club- you also say he'd be an upgrade on Lamela and Townsend- on what basis- have you even see the guy play in recent seasons? My mate is an Inter fan and he's been terrible whenever he got on the pitch.

You could make a highlight video of both Townsend and Lamela that woukd make them look world class- that's what Shaqiri was at Basel, a highlight reel player.

well it probably makes as much business sense as blowing 26 mill on a player who very much succeeded at a Serie A club that finished 6th;)

HONDA TO THE TOTTENHAM
Keisuke Honda at the start. For the Japanese the Milan runway warmer is one that leads to the Premier League. For now there is an actual offer of Tottenham.

.. Poorly translated from an Italian website.

HONDA TO THE TOTTENHAM
Keisuke Honda at the start. For the Japanese the Milan runway warmer is one that leads to the Premier League. For now there is an actual offer of Tottenham.

.. Poorly translated from an Italian website.

never
gonna
happen

From a football agent on twitter: Adama Traore has rejected Stoke City, he's opted for Aston Villa, 3yr deal with option of 4th. Big wages for his age.

Disagree.

I think people are getting a bit fed up with the constant drip drip criticism even when a more rational and probably more realistic alternative is given to them. They then go back to their original criticism without any change or consideration for that alternatime or giving a reasonable counter argument.

The Club are ****. Levy and Lewis are ****. We are being overtaken by Spam and Stoke. Woe, woe and more woe!!!

What is that old saying " you can lead a horse to water but you can not make them drink" it fits well for some.

Disagree.

I think people are getting a bit fed up with the constant drip drip criticism even when a more rational and probably more realistic alternative is given to them. They then go back to their original criticism without any change or consideration for that alternatime or giving a reasonable counter argument.

The Club are ****. Levy and Lewis are ****. We are being overtaken by Spam and Stoke. Woe, woe and more woe!!!

I agree with this. I love talking about Spurs as it is something that is close to me, as I am sure it is for everyone else that has a contrary view to me.

The bit that I find incredible is the sensationalist "we are brick", "player x is brick", "Poch is brick", "Levy is brick" type comments because it is way OTT. Why do I think it is OTT? Because our performances, league position, performance in cups etc.... showed that we are not brick. We finished 2 points ahead of Liverpool in sixth, 4 points ahead of Southampton in seventh and 8 points ahead of Swansea in eighth. We were 6 points off Man United in fourth and 11 points off Arsenal in third.

Us not signing Berahino, Nije or whichever other forward yet is not going to see us plummet and be overtaken by the likes of Stoke (10 points behind) and West Ham (17 points behind!).

Financially speaking we are the sixth biggest in terms of turnover. The team that are fifth biggest (Liverpool) have approx £76m more in revenue. £76m. The team that is fourth (Arsenal) have approximately £120m greater turnover. The UK club that comes after us in terms of turnover is Saudi Sportswashing Machine with £130m which is £50m less than us.

Then you add in the fact that we have spent £30m+ on a training complex and up to end of June 2014 have spent £81m+ on the stadium. That is a fair chunk of our full turnover without having paid for any costs! We have been spending this money for a number of years, granted, but those around us are not spending that. Does it not stand to reason, therefore, that something has to give?

If people are frustrated that we haven't signed player X or Y "to get us into the top 4" then you will always be frustrated until our turnover is at a level that compares with them. It simply cannot be done, without going into debt. The money is not there! Try and do this regularly over a number of seasons, and the debt pile increases.

We showed that we could compete with the big boys on football field. We did break into the top 4 twice recently! Liverpool did it once in the same time period despite having a far greater revenue and no comparable infrastructure costs. I'm sorry to turn this into a boring accounting post, but unfortunately this is the lot that we are given. It is akin to asking yourself why your wage will not buy you a the Ferrari that David Beckham has just bought. Stamping your feet, saying "stick your neck out", "speculate to accumulate" are just not going to work.

If we did "speculate to accumulate", to just the tune of £30m say. That's not uncontrollable debt at all. Where is the guarantee that that will work? You only have £30m, and you have it the once because to get another £30m speculation you will need to take a further £30m out. So would it not make sense, that if you were speculating, you'd be that extra little bit cautious and instead of putting it on the latest shares/saving scheme on the market that has shown a late surge, you may just do quite a bit of research. Enough to make you feel comfortable that this "speculation" is grounded and will deliver value. Otherwise, you're in a worse situation than you were originally as you have £30m to pay off.

Yes, we have a new EPL deal coming in. That comes in next year! To spend it now, you need to take the debt now. Yes you can pay it off next year when the increased, guaranteed earnings come in but then you can't spend it next year.

Then we have the irony. When we had a windfall from the Bale sale, we did "speculate" and we "speculated" wildly reinvesting the whole windfall into players and not into anything else. We bought 7 fully fledged, well rated internationals. They didn't have EPL experience, but that's still not to say they couldn't have been a success. Henry, Viera, Berbatov, Modric, Torres (in his first liverpool spell) to name but a few. 3 of the 7 have gone. Of the 4 remaining, 2 have been quite good and 2 not so. What people are asking for now, is that we "speculate" on Shaquiri, Affelay and whichever other foreign international Stoke, West Ham or whoever has spent their money on!

Ahh, but we should have spent that money on players with proven EPL experience. In that transfer window, the following players (over £5m) with EPL experience were transferred:

1. Stephen Caulker;
2. Lukaku;
3. Chamakh;
4. Arouna Kone;
5. Curtis Davies;
6. Huddlestone;
7. Livermore;
8. Mignolet;
9. Fellaini;
10. Remy (was a loan);
11. Andy Carrol; and
12. Downing.

Which of these players would you want in your team?

We could go out and spend £40m on a load of players. There have been plenty of transfers. Proven EPL quality this season in the form of Cech, Sinclair, Michah Richards, Connor Wickham, Deulofeu, Milner, Ings, Clyne, Benteke, Sterling, Delph, Schneiderlin, Caulker, Seb Coates, Kaboul, Trippier, Alderweireld, Capoue, James Chester, and Lambert. Other foreign imports have also come in. That will keep a lot of people very happy until the point one of them fails. Then they become poor buys, and why didn't the technical director, scout, Levy see this coming. We should have spent that extra £10m and got some real quality. Stupid penny pinching Levy. And the circle continues.

I'm being deliberately simplistic, because, you know what, I would imagine a fair few of those foreign signings would be quite successful. But they're a risk. For every Berbatov there is a Soldado. When people say "why haven't we signed Shaquiri or Ayew" because it is obvious that they will be successful I point you to Soldado, Paulinho, Lamela, Falcao.... There is no obvious.

Back