• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

I think all those moaning about about our (lack of) transfer activity need to just wait until the window has closed..who knows what the club are up to?
Maybe their is a deft game of high stakes going to get very good players that fit Poch's system AND give us a chance to challenge for trophies and top 4 this season.
Maybe Levy is fannying about because he doesn't want to back any manager in a major way due to being burnt by some of our recent big money buys.
Maybe Ade not going is causing all manner of hold-ups.

Who of us really knows?

One thing's for sure, we'll all have PLENTY of time to moan if nothing changes after the close of the window (i.e. no striker cover for Kane, no WF with pace, no CM reinforcements etc) so why don't we all keep our powder dry before then eh?;)

I agree with this. I love talking about Spurs as it is something that is close to me, as I am sure it is for everyone else that has a contrary view to me.

The bit that I find incredible is the sensationalist "we are ****", "player x is ****", "Poch is ****", "Levy is ****" type comments because it is way OTT. Why do I think it is OTT? Because our performances, league position, performance in cups etc.... showed that we are not ****. We finished 2 points ahead of Liverpool in sixth, 4 points ahead of Southampton in seventh and 8 points ahead of Swansea in eighth. We were 6 points off Man United in fourth and 11 points off Ar5ena1 in third.

Us not signing Berahino, Nije or whichever other forward yet is not going to see us plummet and be overtaken by the likes of Stoke (10 points behind) and West Ham (17 points behind!).

Financially speaking we are the sixth biggest in terms of turnover. The team that are fifth biggest (Liverpool) have approx £76m more in revenue. £76m. The team that is fourth (Ar5ena1) have approximately £120m greater turnover. The UK club that comes after us in terms of turnover is Saudi Sportswashing Machine with £130m which is £50m less than us.

Then you add in the fact that we have spent £30m+ on a training complex and up to end of June 2014 have spent £81m+ on the stadium. That is a fair chunk of our full turnover without having paid for any costs! We have been spending this money for a number of years, granted, but those around us are not spending that. Does it not stand to reason, therefore, that something has to give?

If people are frustrated that we haven't signed player X or Y "to get us into the top 4" then you will always be frustrated until our turnover is at a level that compares with them. It simply cannot be done, without going into debt. The money is not there! Try and do this regularly over a number of seasons, and the debt pile increases.

We showed that we could compete with the big boys on football field. We did break into the top 4 twice recently! Liverpool did it once in the same time period despite having a far greater revenue and no comparable infrastructure costs. I'm sorry to turn this into a boring accounting post, but unfortunately this is the lot that we are given. It is akin to asking yourself why your wage will not buy you a the Ferrari that David Beckham has just bought. Stamping your feet, saying "stick your neck out", "speculate to accumulate" are just not going to work.

If we did "speculate to accumulate", to just the tune of £30m say. That's not uncontrollable debt at all. Where is the guarantee that that will work? You only have £30m, and you have it the once because to get another £30m speculation you will need to take a further £30m out. So would it not make sense, that if you were speculating, you'd be that extra little bit cautious and instead of putting it on the latest shares/saving scheme on the market that has shown a late surge, you may just do quite a bit of research. Enough to make you feel comfortable that this "speculation" is grounded and will deliver value. Otherwise, you're in a worse situation than you were originally as you have £30m to pay off.

Yes, we have a new EPL deal coming in. That comes in next year! To spend it now, you need to take the debt now. Yes you can pay it off next year when the increased, guaranteed earnings come in but then you can't spend it next year.

Then we have the irony. When we had a windfall from the Bale sale, we did "speculate" and we "speculated" wildly reinvesting the whole windfall into players and not into anything else. We bought 7 fully fledged, well rated internationals. They didn't have EPL experience, but that's still not to say they couldn't have been a success. Henry, Viera, Berbatov, Modric, Torres (in his first liverpool spell) to name but a few. 3 of the 7 have gone. Of the 4 remaining, 2 have been quite good and 2 not so. What people are asking for now, is that we "speculate" on Shaquiri, Affelay and whichever other foreign international Stoke, West Ham or whoever has spent their money on!

Ahh, but we should have spent that money on players with proven EPL experience. In that transfer window, the following players (over £5m) with EPL experience were transferred:

1. Stephen Caulker;
2. Lukaku;
3. Chamakh;
4. Arouna Kone;
5. Curtis Davies;
6. Huddlestone;
7. Livermore;
8. Mignolet;
9. Fellaini;
10. Remy (was a loan);
11. Andy Carrol; and
12. Downing.

Which of these players would you want in your team?

We could go out and spend £40m on a load of players. There have been plenty of transfers. Proven EPL quality this season in the form of Cech, Sinclair, Michah Richards, Connor Wickham, Deulofeu, Milner, Ings, Clyne, Benteke, Sterling, Delph, Schneiderlin, Caulker, Seb Coates, Kaboul, Trippier, Alderweireld, Capoue, James Chester, and Lambert. Other foreign imports have also come in. That will keep a lot of people very happy until the point one of them fails. Then they become poor buys, and why didn't the technical director, scout, Levy see this coming. We should have spent that extra £10m and got some real quality. Stupid penny pinching Levy. And the circle continues.

I'm being deliberately simplistic, because, you know what, I would imagine a fair few of those foreign signings would be quite successful. But they're a risk. For every Berbatov there is a Soldado. When people say "why haven't we signed Shaquiri or Ayew" because it is obvious that they will be successful I point you to Soldado, Paulinho, Lamela, Falcao.... There is no obvious.

Take a bow!

My post was deliberately negative to stoke (excuse the pun) up some defence to our actions so far.

We are in an unfortunate position in wanting to sign similar players to other top 4 contenders, so naturally these players will probably wait for a champions league option first.

Interesting comments above about our transfer dealings not costing us 10 or 17 points....maybe not, but it's the 3 or 4 points I'm concerned about that we could be short at the end of the season. The fact you are satisfying yourself with the fact that we won't be caught by West Ham and Stoke says it all for me.

My post was deliberately negative to stoke (excuse the pun) up some defence to our actions so far.

We are in an unfortunate position in wanting to sign similar players to other top 4 contenders, so naturally these players will probably wait for a champions league option first.

Interesting comments above about our transfer dealings not costing us 10 or 17 points....maybe not, but it's the 3 or 4 points I'm concerned about that we could be short at the end of the season. The fact you are satisfying yourself with the fact that we won't be caught by West Ham and Stoke says it all for me.

To be clear, I was just responding to the notion that we are going to be overtaken by those teams. I am not satisfied that we have done enough to avoid being overtaken in league position by one of the teams below us. I want us to be challenging for the top 4, but I'm just putting out there what the challenges are for us to do it. It is a monumental challenge. We have done it twice already by sticking to the same transfer strategy that we are displaying now. Liverpool did it once, but having spent a shed load more than we are able.

The only clubs to really break into that top 4 have been Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea and they got lucky with their owners.

Our strategy has worked, twice, and I'm backing that. I don't think adopting another strategy will lead to a consistent challenge of the top 4 unless we get rich owners. You will see that my expectations are that we will finish fifth or sixth. If we do that I will be happy. If we break the top 4 I will be ecstatic.

I know a lot has been spoken already about the amount we can spend on players compared to teams above us. But so far this summer are still 20m up on player trading whilst moving some high wage earners. We still have the opportunity to move on Soldado for 10 ish million. And Maybe Lennon for 5m. That should give us at least 35m to be able to spend on 2 marquee players to improve the team.

usually as a club we can spend a certain amount each summer even without player trading. So lets say that is a modest 10m. All this added up surely gives us the chance to sign the three kind of players we need.

Or am I just looking at this in a an all too simplistic way??

I agree with this. I love talking about Spurs as it is something that is close to me, as I am sure it is for everyone else that has a contrary view to me.

The bit that I find incredible is the sensationalist "we are ****", "player x is ****", "Poch is ****", "Levy is ****" type comments because it is way OTT. Why do I think it is OTT? Because our performances, league position, performance in cups etc.... showed that we are not ****. We finished 2 points ahead of Liverpool in sixth, 4 points ahead of Southampton in seventh and 8 points ahead of Swansea in eighth. We were 6 points off Man United in fourth and 11 points off Ar5ena1 in third.

Us not signing Berahino, Nije or whichever other forward yet is not going to see us plummet and be overtaken by the likes of Stoke (10 points behind) and West Ham (17 points behind!).

Financially speaking we are the sixth biggest in terms of turnover. The team that are fifth biggest (Liverpool) have approx £76m more in revenue. £76m. The team that is fourth (Ar5ena1) have approximately £120m greater turnover. The UK club that comes after us in terms of turnover is Saudi Sportswashing Machine with £130m which is £50m less than us.

Then you add in the fact that we have spent £30m+ on a training complex and up to end of June 2014 have spent £81m+ on the stadium. That is a fair chunk of our full turnover without having paid for any costs! We have been spending this money for a number of years, granted, but those around us are not spending that. Does it not stand to reason, therefore, that something has to give?

If people are frustrated that we haven't signed player X or Y "to get us into the top 4" then you will always be frustrated until our turnover is at a level that compares with them. It simply cannot be done, without going into debt. The money is not there! Try and do this regularly over a number of seasons, and the debt pile increases.

We showed that we could compete with the big boys on football field. We did break into the top 4 twice recently! Liverpool did it once in the same time period despite having a far greater revenue and no comparable infrastructure costs. I'm sorry to turn this into a boring accounting post, but unfortunately this is the lot that we are given. It is akin to asking yourself why your wage will not buy you a the Ferrari that David Beckham has just bought. Stamping your feet, saying "stick your neck out", "speculate to accumulate" are just not going to work.

If we did "speculate to accumulate", to just the tune of £30m say. That's not uncontrollable debt at all. Where is the guarantee that that will work? You only have £30m, and you have it the once because to get another £30m speculation you will need to take a further £30m out. So would it not make sense, that if you were speculating, you'd be that extra little bit cautious and instead of putting it on the latest shares/saving scheme on the market that has shown a late surge, you may just do quite a bit of research. Enough to make you feel comfortable that this "speculation" is grounded and will deliver value. Otherwise, you're in a worse situation than you were originally as you have £30m to pay off.

Yes, we have a new EPL deal coming in. That comes in next year! To spend it now, you need to take the debt now. Yes you can pay it off next year when the increased, guaranteed earnings come in but then you can't spend it next year.

Then we have the irony. When we had a windfall from the Bale sale, we did "speculate" and we "speculated" wildly reinvesting the whole windfall into players and not into anything else. We bought 7 fully fledged, well rated internationals. They didn't have EPL experience, but that's still not to say they couldn't have been a success. Henry, Viera, Berbatov, Modric, Torres (in his first liverpool spell) to name but a few. 3 of the 7 have gone. Of the 4 remaining, 2 have been quite good and 2 not so. What people are asking for now, is that we "speculate" on Shaquiri, Affelay and whichever other foreign international Stoke, West Ham or whoever has spent their money on!

Ahh, but we should have spent that money on players with proven EPL experience. In that transfer window, the following players (over £5m) with EPL experience were transferred:

1. Stephen Caulker;
2. Lukaku;
3. Chamakh;
4. Arouna Kone;
5. Curtis Davies;
6. Huddlestone;
7. Livermore;
8. Mignolet;
9. Fellaini;
10. Remy (was a loan);
11. Andy Carrol; and
12. Downing.

Which of these players would you want in your team?

We could go out and spend £40m on a load of players. There have been plenty of transfers. Proven EPL quality this season in the form of Cech, Sinclair, Michah Richards, Connor Wickham, Deulofeu, Milner, Ings, Clyne, Benteke, Sterling, Delph, Schneiderlin, Caulker, Seb Coates, Kaboul, Trippier, Alderweireld, Capoue, James Chester, and Lambert. Other foreign imports have also come in. That will keep a lot of people very happy until the point one of them fails. Then they become poor buys, and why didn't the technical director, scout, Levy see this coming. We should have spent that extra £10m and got some real quality. Stupid penny pinching Levy. And the circle continues.

I'm being deliberately simplistic, because, you know what, I would imagine a fair few of those foreign signings would be quite successful. But they're a risk. For every Berbatov there is a Soldado. When people say "why haven't we signed Shaquiri or Ayew" because it is obvious that they will be successful I point you to Soldado, Paulinho, Lamela, Falcao.... There is no obvious.

I'm glad you're back Gazza, cos it's gonna save me a whole heap of writing:)

I know we are specifically talking about our beloved Spurs (so not discounting the emotional side) but i fear some peoples outlook/comments/views are a sad reflection on society. Can people not WAIT for f*cking anything?. And when they cannot wait, they borrow, then borrow again and collectively worldwide misery ensues.

I would say we have a talented team at all levels at our club that is guiding us through literally a once in a century transformation. You don't build a world class stadium every ten years. Levy is trying to do this with as little pain at the front end as possible (some clubs bankrupt themselves just building a stand ffs(morning irving:))).....

we have travelled a long way down that road and the team is still competing and constantly finishing in the top six. Levy appears to have a manager he trusts and is happy and motivated to work within his guidelines. This includes working with the youth and academy who are already benefiting from a complete overhaul and the all inclusive residence of a mind blowing trainng facility. IMO i'd rather fill the squad with these boys then spend 8-10M on squad fillers, not just because it saves money but because they genuinely look like talent and are years old within the Spurs system/life.

These things take time, especially within a very competitive/doping environment, but i guarantee we will look back in 2040 and will appreciate these years as a necessity for the greater good and cementing Spurs as one of the great clubs of our country.

I know a lot has been spoken already about the amount we can spend on players compared to teams above us. But so far this summer are still 20m up on player trading whilst moving some high wage earners. We still have the opportunity to move on Soldado for 10 ish million. And Maybe Lennon for 5m. That should give us at least 35m to be able to spend on 2 marquee players to improve the team.

usually as a club we can spend a certain amount each summer even without player trading. So lets say that is a modest 10m. All this added up surely gives us the chance to sign the three kind of players we need.

Well there was a rather optimistic ITK saying we're gonna spunk 30 odd mil before the window shuts - so maybe you're on to something!

N'Jie
Berahino
Bender

Lovely jubbly

Well there was a rather optimistic ITK saying we're gonna spunk 30 odd mil before the window shuts - so maybe you're on to something!

N'Jie
Berahino
Bender

Lovely jubbly
I think those 3 would command fees of about £50 million in total (although I guess we're around £20 million or so in profit on the window so far?)

il be very surprised if we go for a midfielder in this window...i think Poch is happy with Bentaleb, Mason, Alli, Dier, Winks and Onomah

Absolutely, but there's still 20 odd days of the transfer window left, so I don't see why people are assuming that we're not going to spend. Poch has come out and said we will, Levy has come out and said we will (even saying that it will more than likely be in the last two weeks of the window) yet some posters are going OTT and saying that this season will be brick, our transfer dealings are brick etc....

With regards to how much we have to spend, that's up for debate! It all depends on how much money we need to spend on the stadium in the next year, and what other financing we have in place. Just taking a quick look at last year's accounts, we make £22-23m before player trading and amortisation. Add in our net transfer surplus so far £15m, I think that's as good a guess as any. That could be all wrong, but I just cannot tell what commitments there are to spending.

I'm glad you're back Gazza, cos it's gonna save me a whole heap of writing:)

I know we are specifically talking about our beloved Spurs (so not discounting the emotional side) but i fear some peoples outlook/comments/views are a sad reflection on society. Can people not WAIT for f*cking anything?. And when they cannot wait, they borrow, then borrow again and collectively worldwide misery ensues.

I would say we have a talented team at all levels at our club that is guiding us through literally a once in a century transformation. You don't build a world class stadium every ten years. Levy is trying to do this with as little pain at the front end as possible (some clubs bankrupt themselves just building a stand ffs(morning irving:))).....

we have travelled a long way down that road and the team is still competing and constantly finishing in the top six. Levy appears to have a manager he trusts and is happy and motivated to work within his guidelines. This includes working with the youth and academy who are already benefiting from a complete overhaul and the all inclusive residence of a mind blowing trainng facility. IMO i'd rather fill the squad with these boys then spend 8-10M on squad fillers, not just because it saves money but because they genuinely look like talent and are years old within the Spurs system/life.

These things take time, especially within a very competitive/doping environment, but i guarantee we will look back in 2040 and will appreciate these years as a necessity for the greater good and cementing Spurs as one of the great clubs of our country.

Thank you and I hope so!

I think all those moaning about about our (lack of) transfer activity need to just wait until the window has closed..who knows what the club are up to?
Maybe their is a deft game of high stakes going to get very good players that fit Poch's system AND give us a chance to challenge for trophies and top 4 this season.
Maybe Levy is fannying about because he doesn't want to back any manager in a major way due to being burnt by some of our recent big money buys.
Maybe Ade not going is causing all manner of hold-ups.

Who of us really knows?

One thing's for sure, we'll all have PLENTY of time to moan if nothing changes after the close of the window (i.e. no striker cover for Kane, no WF with pace, no CM reinforcements etc) so why don't we all keep our powder dry before then eh?;)
But if we moan now, there's a chance Levy will read our posts and do as we say.

N'Jie
Berahino
Bender

Lovely jubbly

I think those three are the biggest shouts, and although not sure why some are taking a while am sure all 3 would be signed if we can come to agreements with respective clubs/players.

The hold up could quite literally be the delay in getting Soldado and especially Ade off the wage bill. Lets say we have our own internal wage cap, and Levy being a 'tight-ship' man will want us to run on or below this with no exceptions.?

FWIW i'm quite happy for any/all these to go (esp if 2 CF/WF come in)

Lennon
Ade
Soldado
Townsend
Carroll

that could be £35M and £220,000 wages?

People are just apprehensive. We've all heard before how we tried but x was too difficult or y was too complicated, and the 'actions of others' speech, so I can understand it. Three weeks to go yet, though, so let's wait and see. I'm relaxed about it for now...

Back