• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

Well NWND's main point was that why are people complaining that we didn't/haven't gone in for Shaqiri - are you saying we actually SHOULD be making an attempt to buy Shaqiri?
Don't know enough about the guy tbh. But to say we shouldn't because he hasn't succeeded elsewhere doesn't necessarily stack up. Henry and Viera didn't do well in Italy before Arsenal brought them in whereas shevchenko was a disaster. If he's properly scouted to fit a role we need to strengthen I don't see why not.

First of all after Shaqiri, who is the other player you are referring to that would be an upgrade on Lamela and Townsend?

Secondly, you think Shaqiri's form at Inter suggests he'd play better here?? Really??

Affelay was the other.

Sometimes players need a change of scenery i.e. a new club or league. I'm not saying it would have been a sure thing, but something worth considering.

Don't know enough about the guy tbh. But to say we shouldn't because he hasn't succeeded elsewhere doesn't necessarily stack up. Henry and Viera didn't do well in Italy before Ar5ena1 brought them in whereas shevchenko was a disaster. If he's properly scouted to fit a role we need to strengthen I don't see why not.

1. What is he HAS been properly scouted and the coaches/management think he is brick or wont be a good fit (hardly unlikely given his form in the recent past)
2. Conversely, Lamela, Soldado, countless others 'succeeded' elsewhere before joining us and didn't with us. You can't complain about getting in players successful elsewhere before us, who then went on to fail with us and then at the same time complain that we don't get in players who have been less successful elsewhere...it's like having your cake and eating to monopolise the right to moan..

Don't know enough about the guy tbh. But to say we shouldn't because he hasn't succeeded elsewhere doesn't necessarily stack up. Henry and Viera didn't do well in Italy before Ar5ena1 brought them in whereas shevchenko was a disaster. If he's properly scouted to fit a role we need to strengthen I don't see why not.

He has been offered around all summer apparently - which would suggest he's not been deemed good enough by the club as I'm sure we'd have been one of the clubs he was offered to. The fact he has been so quickly dismissed by Bayern and Inter would suggest this is a punt on Stokes behalf that he could recapture his early potential

Not really a deal I think we should be losing sleep over

thing is if Stoke buy Shaqiri then that must end their interest in Yarmelenko I would have thought. They play in the same position

Sor
1. What is he HAS been properly scouted and the coaches/management think he is **** or wont be a good fit (hardly unlikely given his form in the recent past)
2. Conversely, Lamela, Soldado, countless others 'succeeded' elsewhere before joining us and didn't with us. You can't complain about getting in players successful elsewhere before us, who then went on to fail with us and then at the same time complain that we don't get in players who have been less successful elsewhere...it's like having your cake and eating to monopolise the right to moan..
Sorry have you misunderstood me ? Have I complained about us not buying shaqiri? Seeing as I don't know the guy I doubt it very much. I answered your question were you trying to lead me into your rant? I am irritated that we haven't made an offer for Berahino.

Affelay was the other.

Sometimes players need a change of scenery i.e. a new club or league. I'm not saying it would have been a sure thing, but something worth considering.
We may have considered both. Talented players worth a punt, I think Stoke are in more of a position to take these punts.
We have a longer term vision. It's easy to become short sided and fill your team with these players but it's a risky strategy. I'm hoping Pochettino is looking to creat a style of football synonymous with us and giving us a long term blueprint of being THE team to come to, to fulfil your potential as a youngster.

We may end up finishing below Stoke (I personally don't think so), but a signing like Shaqiri or Affelay may represent too big a risk for us and what we are trying to achieve now. Those players have it all to prove now and ultimately will be using Stoke as a stepping stone to put themselves in the window to bigger EPL teams (mainly the top 4/5)

We may have considered both. Talented players worth a punt, I think Stoke are in more of a position to take these punts.
We have a longer term vision. It's easy to become short sided and fill your team with these players but it's a risky strategy. I'm hoping Pochettino is looking to creat a style of football synonymous with us and giving us a long term blueprint of being THE team to come to, to fulfil your potential as a youngster.

We may end up finishing below Stoke (I personally don't think so), but a signing like Shaqiri or Affelay may represent too big a risk for us and what we are trying to achieve now. Those players have it all to prove now and ultimately will be using Stoke as a stepping stone to put themselves in the window to bigger EPL teams (mainly the top 4/5)

:eek: how can you even utter such words

Sor

Sorry have you misunderstood me ? Have I complained about us not buying shaqiri? Seeing as I don't know the guy I doubt it very much. I answered your question were you trying to lead me into your rant? I am irritated that we haven't made an offer for Berahino.

Er, what rant?? I was CLEARLY trying to convey that NWND was posting asking why people were moaning about our lack of signing Shaqiri and how i couldn't see why you were complaining about his post when he was talking about that specific example.

First of all after Shaqiri, who is the other player you are referring to that would be an upgrade on Lamela and Townsend?

Secondly, you think Shaqiri's form at Inter suggests he'd play better here?? Really??

Coutinho was bombed out by Inter. Some players just need the right environment, maybe Shaqiri will fit in well at Stoke under Hughes.

1. What is he HAS been properly scouted and the coaches/management think he is **** or wont be a good fit (hardly unlikely given his form in the recent past)

I don't think anyone is "moaning" or "whinging". Just asking questions if that's allowed. This place is getting a bit totalitarian at times whenever anyone questions the order of things like we're complete macarons.

:D nice coming from you...........you drove people away from this board with your constant negativity about Poch and the team;)

Haha, it'll come back after this Saturday I'm sure :) I guess it just feel likes Dubai and, to to a lesser extent, you have an agenda and just hate everything. At least I hated what i was seeing. I mean, if we can't be positive and excited before we kick a ball when can we!!

I'm sure you didn't used to be negative, what happened?

@milo. What makes you say United haven't strengheneed in the areas they needed to??
In defence, they now have what looks like a bonafide right-back in Darmian. In front of defence they always had a lack on CDM cover for when Carrick was not there. Now they have both legs AND experience in the two Schs, who will also provide cover for Carrick, often their most important midfield player.

I like the fact that you are trying to say that things aren't that bad re Spurs, but some of what you're writing with regards to Manure is a blinkered as those who complain about "why does Levy leave it until late in the window to do business"

United have got one striker and they're weak in central defence. They have signed some good players but their squad is not strong enough to mount a title challenge which it should be after the money they have spent.

I don't think anyone is "moaning" or "whinging". Just asking questions if that's allowed. This place is getting a bit totalitarian at times whenever anyone questions the order of things like we're complete macarons.

Disagree.

I think people are getting a bit fed up with the constant drip drip criticism even when a more rational and probably more realistic alternative is given to them. They then go back to their original criticism without any change or consideration for that alternatime or giving a reasonable counter argument.

The Club are brick. Levy and Lewis are brick. We are being overtaken by Spam and Stoke. Woe, woe and more woe!!!

United have got one striker and they're weak in central defence. They have signed some good players but their squad is not strong enough to mount a title challenge which it should be after the money they have spent.

I think that speaks more to how far behind they have fallen rather than the players they have or haven't signed. I still expect them to challenge more than they did last season.

Disagree.

I think people are getting a bit fed up with the constant drip drip criticism even when a more rational and probably more realistic alternative is given to them. They then go back to their original criticism without any change or consideration for that alternatime or giving a reasonable counter argument.

The Club are ****. Levy and Lewis are ****. We are being overtaken by Spam and Stoke. Woe, woe and more woe!!!

I disagree. People are questioning our transfer activity which I do not believe is unfair.

And btw, no one has said Stoke and West Ham have overtaken us, just that they COULD if we stand still in the next few years. You have to at least consider the teams below and around you.

I think that speaks more to how far behind they have fallen rather than the players they have or haven't signed. I still expect them to challenge more than they did last season.

I think that they would have closed the gap quicker (and cheaper) if they had identified weaknesses in their team and tried to strengthen them rather than the kid in a sweet shop approach that they have taken.

Back