• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

Liverpool used to be funded by the Moores family, Man Utd were financed by the Edwards family.....its always gone on, nothing wrong with owners buying a few players when needs be.

I agree, it's when it gets to Chelsea/City/PSG/Anzhi/Zenit and now Monaco levels that it gets silly and wrong.

thing is, weve got the 3rd best player in the world, a highly rated young manager, just finished outside the top 4 with a record PL points total for the club. If now isnt the ideal time to speculate to accumulate a little then i dont know when it will be

I agree again. Although we've had these chances a couple of times now - the summer CL window, the following January window, the following January window when we were in the mix for 3rd and 4th and the January window just passed. In all of those windos combined we came out with Van Der Vaart and pretty much nothing else, we need to strike while the iron's hot. What happened to "To Dare is to Do"?

Currently it's more like "To Dare is too Dear"

Mr Lewis??? his priority is behind Ade

article-2330875-19FE7176000005DC-637_634x561.jpg

That's the biggest sweat I have seen him get in 12 months.. last time was when he was in the negotiation room with his agent and Daniel Levy

Considering their wage bill was £130m odd or something like that(vs our £91m) then it's not a massive difference. I have no problem with owners spending money the club don't necessarily have, I mean you don't really buy a football club to make money out of it, the Glazers have done well out of Utd but elsewhere it's not really feasible. I don't want to put an arbitrary figure on how much I deem acceptable, obviously City and Chelsea is just "wrong" but the way Henry is backing Liverpool I have no problem with, I'd like it if Spurs could spend a bit of money without having to break even all of the time. If Joe Lewis stuck his hand in his pocket for once and funded moves for say two £15m players then it's hardly comparable to Chelsea and City's annual £100m transfer spending.

You're wasting your breath. We have a model, it is working reasonably well and ENIC are not going to break from it any time soon. They bought Spurs as an investment and key to maximising their profit on it is maintaining our progress whilst living within our means.

Yes, I know. I've already said Levy cannot do any more than he currently is. "Pound for pound" he is the best chairman around. My point was that if you want to point the finger at someone for not spending enough then it's Mr Lewis, not Mr Levy.

Yes, I know. I've already said Levy cannot do any more than he currently is. "Pound for pound" he is the best chairman around. My point was that if you want to point the finger at someone for not spending enough then it's Mr Lewis, not Mr Levy.

I don't want to point the finger at anyone, I understand our owners reasons for running the club as they do and know that it is not going to change whilst they are in control. Thank GHod that we don't have owners who take money out of the club or load us with debt.

thing is, weve got the 3rd best player in the world, a highly rated young manager, just finished outside the top 4 with a record PL points total for the club. If now isnt the ideal time to speculate to accumulate a little then i dont know when it will be

there is no point whatsoever in doing this unless we are actually going to carry it through and do what City and Chelsea do.

so Lewis/Enic/Levy pump in an extra 50 mil this summer - we get a couple of top players for the first team, some back up and have a pretty strong squad as a result, next season after being ousted from the top 4 Arsenal spend some of the 100 million+ they have backed up, Chelsea City and United all carry on spending how they can and we're left behind them all again unless we continue have money pumped in from outside.

there is no point whatsoever in doing this unless we are actually going to carry it through and do what City and Chelsea do.

so Lewis/Enic/Levy pump in an extra 50 mil this summer - we get a couple of top players for the first team, some back up and have a pretty strong squad as a result, next season after being ousted from the top 4 Arsenal spend some of the 100 million+ they have backed up, Chelsea City and United all carry on spending how they can and we're left behind them all again unless we continue have money pumped in from outside.

no, its not about matching what the others are spending. I mean this summer chelsea will probably spend over 100 mill, City will do the same. They already have great players so on that level we cannot match them now or ever in the future

what matters is what we do with what we have. If we do like you say and spend an extra 50 mill on getting the players AVB wants, we will ultimately be stronger. This will give us a better chance of winning games surely? Maybe a couple of top forwards will turn home defeats against Wigan and Fulham into wins, turn home draws against Norwich and West Brom into wins.

if we had the extra 50 mill then maybe we could bring in players before pre season starts, giving the manager time to put a team together that can once again challenge the top 4. Who knows what this stability can do. A good start and we night even be up there challenging for the title.

If again we fail, then anyway the likes of Bale, Vertonghen, Lloris will end up leaving. Im talking about giving it one go, this summer, to really build on what we have now and dare to aim for the top next season. Like i said, if it fails, then we know the consequences and even they are not so bad

we can spend money improving ourselves without relying on the owners of the club putting extra money in. I don't see the logic in them doing it

no, its not about matching what the others are spending. I mean this summer chelsea will probably spend over 100 mill, City will do the same. They already have great players so on that level we cannot match them now or ever in the future

what matters is what we do with what we have. If we do like you say and spend an extra 50 mill on getting the players AVB wants, we will ultimately be stronger. This will give us a better chance of winning games surely? Maybe a couple of top forwards will turn home defeats against Wigan and Fulham into wins, turn home draws against Norwich and West Brom into wins.

if we had the extra 50 mill then maybe we could bring in players before pre season starts, giving the manager time to put a team together that can once again challenge the top 4. Who knows what this stability can do. A good start and we night even be up there challenging for the title.

If again we fail, then anyway the likes of Bale, Vertonghen, Lloris will end up leaving. Im talking about giving it one go, this summer, to really build on what we have now and dare to aim for the top next season. Like i said, if it fails, then we know the consequences and even they are not so bad

I totally agree, with all the managerial changes etc this year, next season is the one to go for it. We can afford to spend 50mil because if we do fail we will sell Bale for about that amount anyway. But I really do feel this season is the one where we will either establish ourselves as one of the big boys, or fall back into Europa League challangers if your lucky. I just hope Levy feels the same.

Unfortunately I think you're right. I just don't see why people think what Spurs do in the transfer market is all down to Levy. He can't spend money the club don't have, well he could but it has it's risks, he could spend Lewis' money though if he'd put his hand in his pocket.

Enic don't own all of the club yet. Even if they wanted to, they would be throwing away money by buying players.

I believe Enic own 85% of the club. For simplicity, let's pretend Lewis owns all of Enic (he doesn't - it's about 70% at most).

If Lewis gives us £20m to buy a player then he's throwing away £3m because that part of the player won't be his but belong to the other shareholders. Due to PL rules though, he has to give the rest away as the player has to be fully owned by the club.

Some people are very rich. Some people are very stupid. Seeing as very few people are both, it's unlikely you'll find anyone to do what you want.

Enic don't own all of the club yet. Even if they wanted to, they would be throwing away money by buying players.

I believe Enic own 85% of the club. For simplicity, let's pretend Lewis owns all of Enic (he doesn't - it's about 70% at most).

If Lewis gives us £20m to buy a player then he's throwing away £3m because that part of the player won't be his but belong to the other shareholders. Due to PL rules though, he has to give the rest away as the player has to be fully owned by the club.

Some people are very rich. Some people are very stupid. Seeing as very few people are both, it's unlikely you'll find anyone to do what you want.

But said owner could pump in money as a free loan for stadium infrastructure as that is not part of FFP.. and would benefit his 85% greatly. Which is why I am always
bash-head.gif

I would never put my own name on my Spurs shirt, but I would definitely not do it if it was Rooney or Gerrard or Cole or similar.

Real Madrid can tinkle off with their bids. Bale's irreplaceable. If we sell him we're done for. If he's the 3rd best player in the world then buying £70m worth of players still wouldn't be enough to replace him. Where would we be right now without him? We really have to resist the temptation of big money as it's not going to benefit us. We have to build on what we've got, which requires investment, and hopefully next season we'll finish in the top 4 and go from there.

The last thing we should do is sell him on deadline day, because at that point it will be far too late to replace him. Obviously we should expect some huge bids at the end of August, but we have to really resist.

Unless Madrid wanna give us Ronaldo then we'll tell them where to stick their money.

Back