• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

Thing is when he does sign a new deal and we say he is staying you will still get so called journo's saying he will be leaving and lets be honest who remembers Barmby, signed a 5 year deal at Spurs then moved to Boro about 2 weeks later, that was a sour moment in my Spurs supporting life

Yes, new contracts aren't guarantees that players will stay. A new deal would confirm that he's not angling for a move right away though and put more power in Levy's hands in negotiations with other clubs. Power to say no.

----------------

For me there seems to be 3 rational reasons for us to sell Bale, or any top class player like him.

1. The player demands a move, his contract is running out (2 years or less), he's refusing to play, creating a brick storm or similar circumstances.

2. The money offered is so good that we feel confident about strengthening the team by spending the money earned from the sale. Strengthening, not just replacing. And confident, not just "think so". That would include enough money to afford some of the new signings to fail and us still to come out ahead. Because most likely somewhere between a third and a half of the new signings will fail or take a serious time to adjust.

3. The money offered would be enough to both speed up the stadium project and sign a couple of players that would ensure we're not regressing too much on the pitch.

All of those seem unlikely to me, 1 isn't happening, 2 and 3 would mean ridiculous offers.

What i posted ,similarly to my AVB leaving post, was something i made up tbh (coincentally there was also a link of the same figure on one of the papers).

What i will say though is that i'm not confident Levy will reject that figure. My hope is that no club makes a substantial offer.

You are either practicing being a red-top journalist or you are owning up to being a trumper.

Either way, an easy excuse not to take your posts seriously

If they really want Bale.

I would suggest we agree a deal that would allow us to take Higuain from this summer onwards, we keep Bale, then they can have the first option for Bale next summer providing we dont get CL football. Its a risk as with someone like Higuain we can take CL places im sure BUT they will get Bale either next summer or the summer after providing we dont get CL which im sure Bale wants.

With Barca announcing the signing of Neymar I think it's fare to say that we can now expect a summer filled with Real players (amongst others) talking about Bale needing to leave Spurs ](*,)

Bale will NOT (repeat NOT) leave Spurs - at least this summer.

Whether he leaves in the future, relies essentially on three things:

1. Levy shows some real intent in the transfer market this summer

2. We start to play fluent free flowing football with others sharing the burden of carrying the side

3. We start winning trophies and achieve champions league football next season

Over to you Mr. L

With Barca announcing the signing of Neymar I think it's fare to say that we can now expect a summer filled with Real players (amongst others) talking about Bale needing to leave Spurs ](*,)

Indeed . Was my first thought on hearing this .

I feel Neymar has made a smart move joining Barcelona rather than Real Madrid and I really do think Bale should also avoid too. Just way to much politics there.

I don't think Bale will go this summer unless its for a ridiculous, out of this world fee that would be insane to turn down.

With that in mind, maybe Barca signing Neymar would make Real want to do that? Neymar and Messi vs Bale and Ronaldo would be so cool to watch every week if Bale was to go.

Bale will NOT (repeat NOT) leave Spurs - at least this summer.

Whether he leaves in the future, relies essentially on three things:

1. Levy shows some real intent in the transfer market this summer

2. We start to play fluent free flowing football with others sharing the burden of carrying the side

3. We start winning trophies and achieve champions league football next season

Over to you Mr. L

Which one? As Levy can only do so much, it's down to Lewis whether we actually push on or not.

Which one? As Levy can only do so much, it's down to Lewis whether we actually push on or not.

Mr Lewis??? his priority is behind Ade

article-2330875-19FE7176000005DC-637_634x561.jpg

Unfortunately I think you're right. I just don't see why people think what Spurs do in the transfer market is all down to Levy. He can't spend money the club don't have, well he could but it has it's risks, he could spend Lewis' money though if he'd put his hand in his pocket.

Unfortunately I think you're right. I just don't see why people think what Spurs do in the transfer market is all down to Levy. He can't spend money the club don't have, well he could but it has it's risks, he could spend Lewis' money though if he'd put his hand in his pocket.

Jeez so so negative.

But that would just make us another City or Chelsea. Or would it be okay because he's not Arab or Russian?

This isn't an argument for either side but I wonder how many clubs in the league actually only spend money which comes from their own income?

Fulham, Wigan (though I don't know if these two still do), Aston Villa, Sunderland, Stoke I'm guessing from the huge amounts they spend on players they then sell on for peanuts all seem to have done what City and Chelsea have, just on a much smaller scale.

Are we one of the last clubs to only spend our own money in the league?

This isn't an argument for either side but I wonder how many clubs in the league actually only spend money which comes from their own income?

Fulham, Wigan (though I don't know if these two still do), Aston Villa, Sunderland, Stoke I'm guessing from the huge amounts they spend on players they then sell on for peanuts all seem to have done what City and Chelsea have, just on a much smaller scale.

Are we one of the last clubs to only spend our own money in the league?

Arsenal, Swansea, Everton maybe ??

But that would just make us another City or Chelsea. Or would it be okay because he's not Arab or Russian?

That's a tangent and not the point I'm debating. The point I'm debating is with those who seem to think it's up tp Levy whether we "push on" or show "real intent" in the transfer market. I think he gets 100% out of what he has to work within and we cannot possibly do any more so it's not down to him whether we spend bigger, that's down to Lewis but everyone seems to pin it on Levy.

Arsenal, Swansea, Everton maybe ??

Feels like that doesn't it! Liverpool, Swansea, Norwich, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Reading as well.

So I guess my initial comment was a bit melodramatic but there's definitely a few cheeky teams who aren't at the top of the table and who therefore don't get the same attention as Chelsea and City do.

Liverpool spent £40m net since Rodgers took over, we spent minus something since AVB took over at Spurs. What is their turnover like compared to ours?

Liverpool spent £40m net since Rodgers took over, we spent minus something since AVB took over at Spurs. What is their turnover like compared to ours?

The most recent ones I can find are them with 169 and us with 144. This is for the year ending June 2012 though so I'm not sure if there is something more recent (the site I'm using is saying that their commercial activity is 64 million vs our 9, fudge me).

In fact, Deloitte saying Liverpool were 189 for that year.

Last edited:

Considering their wage bill was £130m odd or something like that(vs our £91m) then it's not a massive difference. I have no problem with owners spending money the club don't necessarily have, I mean you don't really buy a football club to make money out of it, the Glazers have done well out of Utd but elsewhere it's not really feasible. I don't want to put an arbitrary figure on how much I deem acceptable, obviously City and Chelsea is just "wrong" but the way Henry is backing Liverpool I have no problem with, I'd like it if Spurs could spend a bit of money without having to break even all of the time. If Joe Lewis stuck his hand in his pocket for once and funded moves for say two £15m players then it's hardly comparable to Chelsea and City's annual £100m transfer spending.

Back