• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

Had Adebayor not been sent off then Vertonghen could have been proved correct.

We will never know now, will we. This is why they should wait until the match is over to give their views. To claim we have overtaken Arsenal is false since we have not not finished over them for so long.

whats he supposed to say? "No, I think they are better than us, them dingdonging us 5-2 two years in a row proves that really. When you face opponents with the quality of Mertesacker, Gervinho and Ramsay you just have to hold your hands up and attempt not to tinkle your pants and hide the look of pure fear in your eyes."

I don't see anything at wrong with what he said. He said its close between the teams; they were miles better no we have caught up.

Well let's look at the quote from the Daily Mail (yeah, I know):
‘I think five or 10 years ago Arsenal were always miles ahead of Tottenham. But that has changed in recent years.
‘Over the past few seasons we have closed that gap and I think now we have overtaken them on the pitch. I think we have the stronger squad.
‘Hopefully we can continue to do that off the pitch as well, with the new stadium that is being built.
‘But on the pitch and as a team now we are a lot more consistent as a club we’re moving in the right direction.'

The bit in bold was the sort of thing you wait until the end of the season to say. I cannot think of one positive thing about the bolded nbit being said now. I have to assume that they've inserted that from last season, whehn that quote would have been similarly premature but more understandable.

Those quotes would be enough for the pre-match team talk for Wenger alone. I wish our players would learn to STFU in times like this until they ACTUALLY overtake Arsenal. Sigh

Well let's look at the quote from the Daily Mail (yeah, I know):
‘I think five or 10 years ago Arsenal were always miles ahead of Tottenham. But that has changed in recent years.
‘Over the past few seasons we have closed that gap and I think now we have overtaken them on the pitch. I think we have the stronger squad.
‘Hopefully we can continue to do that off the pitch as well, with the new stadium that is being built.
‘But on the pitch and as a team now we are a lot more consistent as a club we’re moving in the right direction.'

The bit in bold was the sort of thing you wait until the end of the season to say. I cannot think of one positive thing about the bolded nbit being said now. I have to assume that they've inserted that from last season, whehn that quote would have been similarly premature but more understandable.

Those quotes would be enough for the pre-match team talk for Wenger alone. I wish our players would learn to STFU in times like this until they ACTUALLY overtake Arsenal. Sigh

So you think that quote will have a direct baring on the match? If he hadn't said that we would have won 3 - 0? Now we'll lose 2 - 0? What do you think?

It seems like its assumed the players live on different planets and only come into contact with each other for 90 minutes when facing each other on the pitch. I bet most players know each other and theres obviously loads of friendships between players from different clubs. They probably have banter all the time. I'm sure Walcott didn't wake up this morning and read that quote and suddnely fly into a rage and begin meditating on how to rip down the whole Daniel Levy empire.

I reckon the only ones who get excited about comments like that are fans on message boards and at work talking about footy with their mates. Players play to win regardless of newspaper quotes.

So you think that quote will have a direct baring on the match? If he hadn't said that we would have won 3 - 0? Now we'll lose 2 - 0? What do you think?

It seems like its assumed the players live on different planets and only come into contact with each other for 90 minutes when facing each other on the pitch. I bet most players know each other and theres obviously loads of friendships between players from different clubs. They probably have banter all the time. I'm sure Walcott didn't wake up this morning and read that quote and suddnely fly into a rage and begin meditating on how to rip down the whole Daniel Levy empire.

I reckon the only ones who get excited about comments like that are fans on message boards and at work talking about footy with their mates. Players play to win regardless of newspaper quotes.

I think you underestimate Arsenal players and the way Wenger ALWAYS gets them up for NLDs. He's only lost 4 league NLDs in 16 yaers after all. Now that they don't klnow how to win trophies, they know that redemption locally comes from the 'top 4' run-in and finishing above Spurs. Believe me, Arsenal fans will die if we finish above them AND they finish outside the top 4.

Remember how Arsenal played in last year's game? Deemented they were and I don't think they played any better than that again for the rest of the season (perhaps except maybe the Milan 3-0 win in the 2nd leg).
This was the result of the 'mind the gap' stuff plus our chanting in the stadium. Things like this do have an effect for those players.

Also, don't underestimate the public gloating effect and the media whipping it up. Rememeber in 2002-03 Wenger said 'why can't we go unbeaten, it is possible'. Not so ****y an answer to a leading question. How it was twisted by the media was with gthe headline 'we will go the season unbeaten' and so many ,lubs I feel were extra motiviated to beat 'those ****y Gallic tacos' so to speak.

So again another reason to play it humble. Only thing that might let us get a way with it this time is that the game is at home; if we were playing there (and we usually are when these quotes come out) we would get a hammering because their crowd and players would be REALLY up for it.

Here's hoping the actual quote can be proven to be coming from last season.

FFS, we haven't even played the Spammers yet!

I think you underestimate Arsenal players and the way Wenger ALWAYS gets them up for NLDs. He's only lost 4 league NLDs in 16 yaers after all. Now that they don't klnow how to win trophies, they know that redemption locally comes from the 'top 4' run-in and finishing above Spurs. Believe me, Arsenal fans will die if we finish above them AND they finish outside the top 4.

Remember how Arsenal played in last year's game? Deemented they were and I don't think they played any better than that again for the rest of the season (perhaps except maybe the Milan 3-0 win in the 2nd leg).
This was the result of the 'mind the gap' stuff plus our chanting in the stadium. Things like this do have an effect for those players.

Also, don't underestimate the public gloating effect and the media whipping it up. Rememeber in 2002-03 Wenger said 'why can't we go unbeaten, it is possible'. Not so ****y an answer to a leading question. How it was twisted by the media was with gthe headline 'we will go the season unbeaten' and so many ,lubs I feel were extra motiviated to beat 'those ****y Gallic tacos' so to speak.

So again another reason to play it humble. Only thing that might let us get a way with it this time is that the game is at home; if we were playing there (and we usually are when these quotes come out) we would get a hammering because their crowd and players would be REALLY up for it.

He's only lost that many because we were absolute brick for 12 years of his reign. How many of those defeats have come since we learnt how to kick a ball?

About your West Ham point - I agree and actually I don't fancy us for a win. I'm aware that we are one injury away from meltdown - if either Bale or Dembele gets injured we've had it. Don't fancy a CM of Parker and Livermore getting the job done.

My point is simply that people put too much emphasis on paper headlines. Arsenal will want to win regardless of what goes on in the press. If you think a comment from Bale will change the whole dynamic of the match fine. Why didn't we smash Arsenal to pieces last year when Chesney was mouthing off in the press?

Football games are won or lost, usually by the better set of players, on the pitch on the day. A 38 game season is decided by the quality of the team, not comments in the press printed a week before a match. IMO of course.

Well don't you think our players will be fired up as well, don't forget the pain they went through after being denied a champions league place last year. You think Bale isn't going to attempt to go on a one man crusade and probably succeed given the form hes in etc.

And what about the time the club made announcements about league cup final tickets WHILST WE WERE STILL PLAYING ARSENAL.

Bale's apparent weakness : he cannot score simple goals like tap-ins !

He has missed a sitter for the third consecutive match ! It seems he can only score great goals ! He is more like a scorer of great goals than a great goal scorer. He needs to improve on that if he wants to become a full time striker.

Whilst I agree that it was a very good chance and one he should have done better with I don't think it's fair to call his finishing his weakness.

All players miss big chances from time to time, Bale has showed many times that he's a good finisher, arguably the best finisher at the club. A couple of misses in a row doesn't chance that.

He's only lost that many because we were absolute brick for 12 years of his reign. How many of those defeats have come since we learnt how to kick a ball?

About your West Ham point - I agree and actually I don't fancy us for a win. I'm aware that we are one injury away from meltdown - if either Bale or Dembele gets injured we've had it. Don't fancy a CM of Parker and Livermore getting the job done.

My point is simply that people put too much emphasis on paper headlines. Arsenal will want to win regardless of what goes on in the press. If you think a comment from Bale will change the whole dynamic of the match fine. Why didn't we smash Arsenal to pieces last year when Chesney was mouthing off in the press?

Football games are won or lost, usually by the better set of players, on the pitch on the day. A 38 game season is decided by the quality of the team, not comments in the press printed a week before a match. IMO of course.

Fair points, especially about that git Chesney's mouthing off. Let's see how things go. Hope I can look back without anger!

No, it was in the late 80s, 87 I think. The Arsenal players heard it in the dressing room and they all said it fired them up even more.

My GHod, I forgot about that!
Well if anyone needed an example of giving the other team their teamtalk that is it; It also seems to be in our clubs DNA ffs!

Back