• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

I have yet to hear anyone explain to me why he went to ground yesterday for any other reason than the contact on his knee knocking him over? Where are the 'falling/diving' experts? Come on! I need an education!!!!!!

=D>

While I agree Bale has not done himself any favours by stating on MOTD last night that once there is contact it is a free kick or a penalty, that it complete and utter rubbish. He wants to become a world class player so maybe he should take a lesson from Messi, a player who does not drop to the ground as soon as someone touches him.

Anyone remember the swan dive at the Lane earlier this season when he went down when an opposing goal keeper ran out of the penalty area to intercept the ball. There was no challenge from the keeper and Bale went down. Acts like that influence refs in future incidents even though we all know each incident should be judged on its own merit. Bale does himself no favours. While he was unfairly booked yesterday and against Fulham he has been fairly booked for diving on 2 occasions this season

Unfortunately this swan dive for which Bale was ridiculed on TV is probably going to haunt him for the rest of his career, as it has tarnished him with the label of being a diver and it is the first thing that most non-Spurs fans think of when he goes to ground.

[video=youtube;35XxKvylPY0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35XxKvylPY0[/video]

I don't see why his leg suddenly goes completely limp at the faintest of touches. It CAN be a foul AND unnecessary simulation at the same time.

It is weird that his leg immediately goes "dead" at the slightest contact and it does make it look like he is simulating a fall even when there has been some contact.

The thing is, if I take a swing at you and stop my fist inches before your face, you are going to flinch. Bale flinched. He saw the keeper, and took measures to protect himself.

Look at him once he's on the ground. Is he rolling over in pain? Is he appealing for a free? No. He's sliding on the ground, and ready to get on with the game.

It's a dive, but not a "dive" in that he's not trying to win a free, he's just trying to protect himself from injury.

If he grabbed his shin and rolled around, then chased the ref demanding action, then that would be something worth getting upset over.

What are the three incidents he's been booked for?

Fulham away
Liverpool home
Sunderland away

I think he's been clipped on all 3

The Guzman one, worse of the lot he didn't get booked for

I have read all of this thread and this post most closely mirrors how I feel about this whole 'dive debate'!

As for the Guzman incident, I genuinely believe that Bale dived to avoid getting hurt.

The thing is, if I take a swing at you and stop my fist inches before your face, you are going to flinch. Bale flinched. He saw the keeper, and took measures to protect himself.

Look at him once he's on the ground. Is he rolling over in pain? Is he appealing for a free? No. He's sliding on the ground, and ready to get on with the game.

It's a dive, but not a "dive" in that he's not trying to win a free, he's just trying to protect himself from injury.

If he grabbed his shin and rolled around, then chased the ref demanding action, then that would be something worth getting upset over.

Very well explained SuperT

I used the flinch example in an earlier post in either this thread or the others (I think you nicked it personally haha) but its how I think Bale is. He never 'dived' before that Bale is just a pansy and im assuming he is not as strong in terms of bones etc as we think. The Adams tackles certainly made him become more of a flincher not to mention that he is a more targeted player nowadays

I used the flinch example in an earlier post in either this thread or the others (I think you nicked it personally haha) but its how I think Bale is. He never 'dived' before that Bale is just a pansy and im assuming he is not as strong in terms of bones etc as we think. The Adams tackles certainly made him become more of a flincher not to mention that he is a more targeted player nowadays

If you had suffered as many bad and potentially career threatening tackles as Bale has, then I suspect your self preservation instinct would be similarily heighened.

I agree that he was simply trying to avoid getting clattered and did not attempt to feign injury but, as Bullet pointed out at the time, Bale should have jumped to his feet after his slide and tried to laugh the incident off. Instead he lies on the ground and looks around to see what the officials decide, perhaps he was embarrassed / knackered from his sprint though.

Bale also has also been involved in some other incidents over the past year (the Real Madrid penalty claim being the most blatant) which must be in the officials minds when he has been hard done by in recent months. Guess we can only hope that the fact that all these recent "dives" have been proved by video replay to have been actual fouls will eventually lead to the referees giving him the benefit of the doubt in future...

referee's shouldn't be thinking about reputation in their decisions, each action should be judged on its own merits

its the players job to win the game, its the referee's job to apply the letter of the law

This debate reminds me of the "getting sent off for a two footed challenge debate" I've had with some people.

There is no rule I'm aware of against diving, however there is a rule for a booking if a player simulates a situation where he intends to "con" the ref. where has Bale done that in this situation? There was a player coming across him who may no attempt to get the ball, quite clearly made contact on the player at least once (and at least twice on replay) and stopped him in his tracks. Bale didn't do a belly flop or an acrobatic dive he literally hit the deck in an ever so slightly camp way. Where has he simulated? That's where I think the problem lies?

Here is a descriptive answer of what highlights a "dive":

a separation in time between the impact and the simulation,
a lack of ballistic continuity (the player moves further than would be expected from the momentum of the tackle) and
lack of contact consistency (the player nurses a body part other than where the impact occurred, such as contact to the chest causing the player to fly to the ground, holding his face)

Again none of these apply. So simply put the ref was wrong and should clearly be stripped and beaten publicly whilst being made to sing my old mans a dustman

This debate reminds me of the "getting sent off for a two footed challenge debate" I've had with some people.

There is no rule I'm aware of against diving, however there is a rule for a booking if a player simulates a situation where he intends to "con" the ref. where has Bale done that in this situation? There was a player coming across him who may no attempt to get the ball, quite clearly made contact on the player at least once (and at least twice on replay) and stopped him in his tracks. Bale didn't do a belly flop or an acrobatic dive he literally hit the deck in an ever so slightly camp way. Where has he simulated? That's where I think the problem lies?

Here is a descriptive answer of what highlights a "dive":

a separation in time between the impact and the simulation,
a lack of ballistic continuity (the player moves further than would be expected from the momentum of the tackle) and
lack of contact consistency (the player nurses a body part other than where the impact occurred, such as contact to the chest causing the player to fly to the ground, holding his face)

Again none of these apply. So simply put the ref was wrong and should clearly be stripped and beaten publicly whilst being made to sing my old mans a dustman

This is what ive been getting at for so long. What is the formal ruling over what is and what isnt a foul and the same for a 'dive'? I am actually unsure whether Bale has ever tried to con a referee (maybe the Villa one just to throw a bone to everyone else)

What some have been arguing is the 'simulation' after the foul has occurred and my argument is fudge CARES. Is it a foul? yes - so what happens after I couldnt care less. Ok if someone rolls around a dozen times then id have an issue with that but not because it wasnt a fould but its clear the guy is trying to CON the ref by issuing a card where it isnt deserved. Bale may scream in agony, writhe around in agony but he doesnt exactly roll over a dozen times.

Far too much common sense here mate...sorry, back of the queue with the rest of us idiots please!

Listen bitchez, I wuz gettin' hammered as a low-life scumbag cheat with this defence of Bale after the match!!!! Y'all are thieven' from me!!!!!!!!
:barnet::):)

tumblr_m3u49l4O6E1rvkfhho1_1280.jpg

Anyone else remember Eboue doing that against us before throwing himself back on the floor when he realised that the referee wasnt giving anything?

The incident on Saturday was harsh on Bale, but can I just ask why Spurs fans aren't so forgiving when Suarez dives? Or scum players?

If anything, Defoe should have been booked for diving.

The incident on Saturday was harsh on Bale, but can I just ask why Spurs fans aren't so forgiving when Suarez dives? Or scum players?

I think Superted has most eloquently explained why most Spurs fan are more forgiving for the situation that Bale currently finds himself in. As for Defoe, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Indeed, 2 wrongs don't make a right but fortunately for Defoe he doesn't have a reputation for being a diver so the referee didn't even think about it during the split second he had to make the decision.

However Bale has some previous for going down easily in the penalty area, notably against Real Madrid and the Scum, which the officials must have in the back of their minds :-k

[video=youtube;VxohXc99Hvc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxohXc99Hvc[/video]

[video=youtube;HlAoWuqd4wc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlAoWuqd4wc[/video]

Real Madrid - went down far too easily. Can see why that's a dive.
Arsenal - looks a pen all the way. Completely clattered. Can't see why that's a dive.

Back