• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

I've been a big critic of his diving, but I will say in his defence that him and Suarez are kicked more than any other players in the league and something needs to be done about it. It always annoyed me that Redknapp didn't speak out more in the media about how often he is kicked, I hope AVB starts to bring it to everybody's attention.

However, I don't buy the excuse that it doesn't take much to knock him over because he runs a fast speed. The same laws of physics applied in the old days, but you didn't get the quick players going to ground as often as players today do. Diving has definitely become more prevalent in the last 15 years or so.
You obviously weren't around in the 60s then. Back then no one went to ground more often than our first Welsh flyer, Cliff Jones. He too was regularly accused of going to ground too easily. The difference in those days was he got a lot more support from referee. Pretty much every time he went down he won a free kick.

You obviously weren't around in the 60s then. Back then no one went to ground more often than our first Welsh flyer, Cliff Jones. He too was regularly accused of going to ground too easily. The difference in those days was he got a lot more support from referee. Pretty much every time he went down he won a free kick.

Well said Spur. Some of my earliest Spurs memories are of Cliff flying down the wing, with his feet on the ground or not :)

Well said Spur. Some of my earliest Spurs memories are of Cliff flying down the wing, with his feet on the ground or not :)
Cheers JPG.

Ah memories. No one's since come near to emulating those fantastic flying headers, have they.

Now that's what you call a legend.

There will always be divers in any era i.e. Marsh, Linekar, Voller, but diving has become more of a problem in the last 10-15 years.

There will always be divers in any era i.e. Marsh, Linekar, Voller, but diving has become more of a problem in the last 10-15 years.

Coinciding with the increase in technology available to the viewing public. A multitude of different angles where they can slow down and rewind as they please to show us the smallest of contacts meaning we now see things we couldn't be sure of before.

And the ref is still using his eyes.

Coinciding with the increase in technology available to the viewing public. A multitude of different angles where they can slow down and rewind as they please to show us the smallest of contacts meaning we now see things we couldn't be sure of before.

And the ref is still using his eyes.

True, but sometimes you don't need 5 angles to see a player is diving.

David Ginola defends Tottenham's Gareth Bale over diving claims

Former Tottenham midfielder David Ginola has described Gareth Bale as a "diamond" and says his growing reputation as a diver is "unfair".

Spurs and Wales winger Bale was booked for simulation for the second game in a row in Saturday's 3-0 win at Fulham.

"This debate really annoys me," Ginola told BBC Radio Wales.

"The kid is doing so well. He shouldn't carry this on his shoulder. I don't understand why we put pressure on him with false ideas. It's unfair."

Continue reading the main story

“When you have players like that who entertain you week in, week out - you have to protect that

The yellow card was Bale's seventh of the season but Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas felt the decision "was a little bit harsh", with replays suggesting there was contact between Bale and Fulham's Steve Sidwell.

Villas-Boas also said Bale, 23, was only trying to protect himself after suffering "big, big injuries to his ankles".

Ginola believes officials should protect players of Bale's ability rather than punish them and said it was hard for a player to shake off a reputation for diving once he had been singled out for criticism.

He also said Bale's pace was sometimes the reason he went to ground.

"You don't need a big tackle to go down," said Ginola. "A little push would be enough to lose the balance.

"Football is about entertainment. When you have players like that who entertain you week in, week out, you have to protect that. It's so precious.

"You have to take care of them because they are little diamonds in a league like the English Premier League.

"I thought he was a diamond when I saw him play against Inter Milan and score three goals [in 2010]. He is special."

Ginola, who played more than 100 games for Spurs in three years at White Hart Lane from 1997-2000 and also played for Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Aston Villa and Everton, believes Bale has the potential to be even better than another Wales star, Ryan Giggs.

"To be put alongside Ryan Giggs is a huge compliment for Gareth Bale, but one day Ryan Giggs will be very happy to be named alongside Gareth Bale," said Ginola.

"He is the complete player and still very young. He has got everything. He is going to be a huge asset for the world of football in the next few years."

Ginola also wants Bale to stay in a Spurs side that he thinks can get better and eventually do well in the Champions League.

"When you have a diamond, you don't sell diamonds," said the 45-year-old Frenchman. "You try to keep them."

-------------------------------------------

Nice to see Ginola defending Bale. But funny thing is Ginola himself was accused of diving all the time when he was playing.

Cheers JPG.

Ah memories. No one's since come near to emulating those fantastic flying headers, have they.

Now that's what you call a legend.

Absolutely. Cliff is in my all time Spurs XI, and if there comes a time when I have find room for Gareth, Cliff is staying too, somehow :)

I'll play 3 at the back, they score 3, we score 7 :)

Greaves was quick in his day, but my 'namesake' whose all-time top flight goals record is reflected in the 357 of my name, was nowhere near as quick as Bale is today.

The game was played at a slower pace then. Incidentally a more accurate comparison to Bale was our flying Welshman of the 50s and 60s Cliff Jones, who was faster than Greaves and he had a rep for diving/flying unnecessarily through the air too amongst many fans.

Come on be fair in the Jones day a tackle was a tackle, I have seen him shouldered into row `Z`, poor pitches also allowed cloggers to get away with more, Greaves was like lightning over 20 yards, happy days.

Andre Villas-Boas says Gareth Bale could be back for the Swansea game on 16 December

Last Updated: December 5, 2012 4:19pm

The Welshman limped off during last Saturday's victory at Fulham and will sit out this weekend's fixture at Goodison Park but could be back on 16 December.

Villas-Boas said: "He will not make Everton but could be back for next weekend. But I have other options and I have excellent players."

Midfielder Scott Parker has yet to feature for Spurs this season while full-back Benoit Assou-Ekotto has also been a long-term absentee but the duo may also be back in the squad for the Swansea match.

Villas-Boas said: "It is ever so close for them. Maybe not this week, but maybe next Sunday against Swansea. However, they have both been out for some time, so we have to be sensible with the situation.

"Parker is an amazing player and it is a big boost for us. He is an exceptional player and it means more competition for places.

"We haven't been able to rest as much as we wanted, so the more options the better for me. More headaches for the manager but we are very grateful to see him back.

"He is focused on getting back and that is his big motivation at the moment. He wants to be part of the team and I'm sure he will be part of the team. It is not even a consideration."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...d-be-back-for-the-Swansea-game-on-16-December

Come on be fair in the Jones day a tackle was a tackle, I have seen him shouldered into row `Z`, poor pitches also allowed cloggers to get away with more, Greaves was like lightning over 20 yards, happy days.

Come on, to be fair the game was played at a slower pace so tackles were different

Bale is built differently to Greavesie was and plays in a different way, Bale runs with the ball faster than Greavesie did. I'd back him to outrun greavesie at his peak over 20 or 40 yards.

So that is Bale, Ekotto and Parker who we could all have back for the Swansea game. Big plus going into the Christmas period

So that is Bale, Ekotto and Parker who we could all have back for the Swansea game. Big plus going into the Christmas period
Bigger plus is we got a great result against a smart side tonight without any of those guys.

Real Madrid are reportedly willing to pay up to £56million to land Gareth Bale from Tottenham during the next two transfer windows.

According to Spanish daily Marca, Madrid have set aside a whopping €70million (£56million) to try and thrash out a deal for Bale, after making him their next bumper transfer target.

The Wales flyer is enjoying another superb season for Tottenham, scoring five goals in his last nine matches, taking his term tally to six goals from 14 appearances.

It’s the sort of form that led Madrid to show interest in Bale 18 months ago, while he was still making the transition from left-back to winger, and as such, manager Jose Mourinho cooled his interest.

But with the 23-year-old now recognised as one of the best widemen in world football, Madrid are said to be ready to go all out to land Bale in the next two transfer periods.

Indeed, the excellent partnership Madrid enjoy with Spurs is likely to come into play, as Mourinho looks to bring in Bale in January, although a summer transfer seems more likely.

The reported €70million kitty will be made up from huge backing from the local Madrid banks, as well as from player sales, with the likes of Kaka and Angel Di Maria rumoured to be getting the chop.

http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/13/real-madrid-set-aside-56million-to-fund-gareth-bale-transfer-3316166/?

Real Madrid are reportedly willing to pay up to £56million to land Gareth Bale from Tottenham during the next two transfer windows.

According to Spanish daily Marca, Madrid have set aside a whopping €70million (£56million) to try and thrash out a deal for Bale, after making him their next bumper transfer target.

The Wales flyer is enjoying another superb season for Tottenham, scoring five goals in his last nine matches, taking his term tally to six goals from 14 appearances.

It’s the sort of form that led Madrid to show interest in Bale 18 months ago, while he was still making the transition from left-back to winger, and as such, manager Jose Mourinho cooled his interest.

But with the 23-year-old now recognised as one of the best widemen in world football, Madrid are said to be ready to go all out to land Bale in the next two transfer periods.

Indeed, the excellent partnership Madrid enjoy with Spurs is likely to come into play, as Mourinho looks to bring in Bale in January, although a summer transfer seems more likely.

The reported €70million kitty will be made up from huge backing from the local Madrid banks, as well as from player sales, with the likes of Kaka and Angel Di Maria rumoured to be getting the chop.

http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/13/real-madrid-set-aside-56million-to-fund-gareth-bale-transfer-3316166/?

I feel bad, i'd actually be rather tempted by that..

Sell Bale for Willian + Moutinho?

Though the wages would get complicated..

And before anyone says, yes i know that wouldn't be very likely.

Back