• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

The news about walker possibly being sold on the cheap has me worried about these rumors now!
I don't doubt that Levy could have held out for more and sold Walker later but PERHAPS he gave them the bargain £50 million deal now so we can re-invest and give Poch time to integrate the new signing into the squad.

The Goat hears that 'Daniel Levy briefed the media at least a month ago that Dier wouldn't be sold and asked that no stories to the contrary be printed as spurs wouldn't be selling and the stories would be false.'

ITK it might be, but it does seem like it's just United doing some brick stirring. Even if the players stays, maybe they can manage to turn his head just a little bit.
No one in their right mind would think the press would avoid printing something if you asked them nicely, and if you did, it would be a red rag to a bull.

On the cheap :)......so how much should he have been sold for

On the cheap? Really? Joint most expensive defender in the history of the game, most expensive English player ever. Exactly how much did you want for him?

He's way better than Stones who went to city for 50m a couple of years ago, that alone should give you a marker. Then add on the mental money this window (lukaku 75!!!!!, siggy 40m+, etc.), the fact City are desperate, the fact we are not, the fact it's selling to a Prem challenging rival, the fact he is the best RB in the league and the seeming English premium.... frankly I'm stunned you seem to think we've got some sort of deal here?!?!

He's way better than Stones who went to city for 50m a couple of years ago, that alone should give you a marker. Then add on the mental money this window (lukaku 75!!!!!, siggy 40m+, etc.), the fact City are desperate, the fact we are not, the fact it's selling to a Prem challenging rival, the fact he is the best RB in the league and the seeming English premium.... frankly I'm stunned you seem to think we've got some sort of deal here?!?!

Come on then, enough of the chat, give us a figure you would have sold him for;)

Come on then, enough of the chat, give us a figure you would have sold him for;)

For me we had to give a signal to anyone coming after our players, if you want them then you are going to get screwed over. I'd have accepted no less than 70m (that's a wtf figure and a warning). What we've done with this is send a message out to the rest of the Prem that our players are available.

I think City would have paid it as well but may have taken a few more weeks and I don't think Poch wanted an unhappy player in the camp.

No one in their right mind would think the press would avoid printing something if you asked them nicely, and if you did, it would be a red rag to a bull.

Actually it happens all the time.

The majority of football writers aren't paid a particularly large wage, and it's tough to get anywhere if you don't have enough friendly contacts in high places.

Most would avoid annoying a top club's chairman just to report one fairly minor story, if it meant getting better access or tips offs in the future.

These stories simply suggest it's better to be in favour with Man Utd's people than Spurs.

For me we had to give a signal to anyone coming after our players, if you want them then you are going to get screwed over. I'd have accepted no less than 70m (that's a wtf figure and a warning). What we've done with this is send a message out to the rest of the Prem that our players are available.

I think City would have paid it as well but may have taken a few more weeks and I don't think Poch wanted an unhappy player in the camp.

This is the crux imo. Sometimes it's not all about money, it's about value.
And £50m now + a Happy Poch (presumably) = better value than £65m+ on deadline day and an unsettled rumour-filled pre season.

I don't think we've sent a message that our players are available. That will only ring true if we sell Dier after saying 'no'.

This is the crux imo. Sometimes it's not all about money, it's about value.
And £50m now + a Happy Poch (presumably) = better value than £65m+ on deadline day and an unsettled rumour-filled pre season.

I don't think we've sent a message that our players are available. That will only ring true if we sell Dier after saying 'no'.
Superb post, you've put your finger on it. The extra few millions we might have extracted pales into significance compared to having a happy, settled squad fully focused on getting off to a good start to what could - just could - turn out to be be our title winning season.

Last edited:
Back