• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

Good things to come from Richarlson and too and one of Europe's top defenders in Romero

I think Bissouma will come good too.

It feels to me a bit like 10 years ago when we were acquiring the likes of Lloris, Verts and Dembele under AVB. Making really clever signings who would go on to really start to hit their peak in 2-3 years time (i.e. the core of Poch's team).

It feels to me a bit like 10 years ago when we were acquiring the likes of Lloris, Verts and Dembele under AVB. Making really clever signings who would go on to really start to hit their peak in 2-3 years time (i.e. the core of Poch's team).
Wow
I said the same thing last week
Right now we’re not operating anywhere near the sum of the parts

It’s not even necessarily what we have invested in. A bigger problem is signing players for a manager, sacking that manager and then bringing in a new manager with a completely different style of play….

Conte likes 3 CBs and wing backs and will want to sign players to fit that. Are you confident that our manager following Conte will be a 3 CBs with wing-backs manager? I’m not particularly so.

The club had been lacking direction in our first team strategy, scouting and recruitment and youth academy for a while. Fingers crossed Paratici will be able to fix it but I think it will take some time. We can’t allow ourselves to neglect these things again the future.

When given the option between a manager that fits the current system being played and a manager that prefers a different system, but is overall seen as better, more proven or similar most clubs go for the second option most of the time I think. I think that's understandable and can definitely be the right decision.

Part of Paratici's challenge is getting what Conte wants and needs, but also future proofing the squad by getting sufficient flexibility with new signings. By my estimation he's doing a good job of that so far. Most of our signings could play in some back four based system. Most important with the more expensive signings imo.

A new manager preferring a system that fits the squad is the important thing. Doesn't have to be the same.

Our problem was that we assembled a squad that didn't fit into any viable style of play. And we spent our money poorly. And we didn't have a strong/good enough DoF type person in place.

Most of these issues seems to have been rectified at the moment, but it takes time to fix.

I’ve been concerned at how bad Bissouma’s first touch is.

While I agree with you that we are perhaps assembling some players who should hit their peak in a few years’ time, one thing we had back then that wont fall into our laps again is perhaps the best centre forward in World football.

Last edited:
Exactly, it's where I am most critical of Levy and Co but equally the transfer market is a minefield even on huge money spend (see chelsea)

Like you I think Fabs been a force for better and there seems more method in the madness of the market with a mix of future talent and players to go in now

The valid criticism of Levy here imo is who he's put in charge of player recruitment. Managers, head scouts, director types in the past.

It's not like Levy goes out scouting or sits around watching videos deciding who we buy. He controls the purse, some of the overall strategy. But surely it's not up to him to pick the transfer targets?

We like other clubs have massive hits and massive failures behind us in the transfer market, with the same people in charge for both. No one has a perfect record, knowing who to put in charge, who to trust and when are difficult decisions.

The big difference between a Conte squad and a likely next coach is that we don't have any creative/ballplaying ACMs (apart from the those out on loan).

But I'm sure flogging a few CBs and buying one or two of these will be an easy enough first window for Paratici for the next guy.

Or we employ the Kane in the Neymar role behind Richarlison solution

The big difference between a Conte squad and a likely next coach is that we don't have any creative/ballplaying ACMs (apart from the those out on loan).

But I'm sure flogging a few CBs and buying one or two of these will be an easy enough first window for Paratici for the next guy.

Or we employ the Kane in the Neymar role behind Richarlison solution

Conte said we need to get more creativity. Whether that means the same as what some fans think maybe different though.
He had pirlo and brozovic as playmakers at inter and juve.

The valid criticism of Levy here imo is who he's put in charge of player recruitment. Managers, head scouts, director types in the past.

It's not like Levy goes out scouting or sits around watching videos deciding who we buy. He controls the purse, some of the overall strategy. But surely it's not up to him to pick the transfer targets?

We like other clubs have massive hits and massive failures behind us in the transfer market, with the same people in charge for both. No one has a perfect record, knowing who to put in charge, who to trust and when are difficult decisions.

Very good point and one that get overlooked by many fans when they discuss our transfer dealings over the years. Of course ( in hindsight) we have made some bad/poor signings but so HAS the vast majority ( if not all) clubs in the Prem.
We notice ours because its our club which we focus on everyday, but to think we are the ONLY club that makes these type of signings is WRONG//NONSENSE. imo.

Very good point and one that get overlooked by many fans when they discuss our transfer dealings over the years. Of course ( in hindsight) we have made some bad/poor signings but so HAS the vast majority ( if not all) clubs in the Prem.
We notice ours because its our club which we focus on everyday, but to think we are the ONLY club that makes these type of signings is WRONG//NONSENSE. imo.

We also notice it more because Unlike City or Chelsea we can't double down and buy another 4 defenders to replace the duds (City did that 3 windows in a row) which is when I give Spurs understanding because I understand why, for example we don't go nuts now with the players I mentioned still on the books, it makes sense that we need to shift Ndombele, Rodon, Winks, Lo Celso, Emerson, Serge and Reggie off the books, they mostly commanded huge fees and wages

Ironically, many of our fans on here laud Roman as a good chairman but he made the same mistakes the difference being he was able to put his ill gotten money in to cover his mistakes also listing the money as a debt against the club

Last edited:
Conte said we need to get more creativity. Whether that means the same as what some fans think maybe different though.
He had pirlo and brozovic as playmakers at inter and juve.
I was really surprised that we didn’t make an absolutely HUGE wage offer to Brozovic to come on a free before he eventually extended his contract at Inter.

I was really surprised that we didn’t make an absolutely HUGE wage offer to Brozovic to come on a free before he eventually extended his contract at Inter.
Same
Would be bloody amazing in this league and his work rate is exceptional
Saying that…I see a lot of that in Bentacur which I didn’t see in him at Juve

We might have. Perisic mentioned that he was watching our results at the end of last season. Seems we'd already had an agreement in place.

Same
Would be bloody amazing in this league and his work rate is exceptional
Saying that…I see a lot of that in Bentacur which I didn’t see in him at Juve

Brozovic, Modric, Kovacic… and it was the last one who impressed me most in the World Cup.
What is it with Croatian midfielders.

While I agree with you that we are perhaps assembling some players who should hit their peak in a few years’ time, one thing we had back then that wont fall into our laps again is perhaps the best centre forward in World football.

Imagine if one of Lankshear, Scarlett or Parrott actually does that - goes on to beat Kane's Spurs and England (or Keane's Ireland) scoring records. Lightning striking twice and all, but just imagine...

You don’t need the very best if the whole team is better
But I’ve said it loads before that any manager inheriting Kane is so lucky
And when we evaluate our spend etc…. We never factor in what we have “developed” ourselves as a club
When people were complaining about investment and quoting spend they forget about bargains like dele and Dier
Our success has generally been with lower cost higher potential players

I don't have the time to fully scour this thread but am hoping for a kind soul to advise if there's going to be Qatari investment in our fine club, and whether that would help if we happened to have a player who was gay within our ranks as we are still somehow currently waiting for an EPL player to come out (what are the odds?)

If it is just a "Why won't Levy do exactly what I would want to do with his money" rather than approaching actual real world issues kind of thread then that's all good too, probably par for the course thinking about it

Imagine if one of Lankshear, Scarlett or Parrott actually does that - goes on to beat Kane's Spurs and England (or Keane's Ireland) scoring records. Lightning striking twice and all, but just imagine...

Well, it's interesting, because while you need the talent and some genetic luck (your body holds up), a lot of it is your dedication

Some of our academy have literally watched Kane (plus Son, Hugo and several others) put in a shift in training every day for years, they will mentally know what it takes. It may be lightning, but it must tilt the odds just a little.

Back