• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

all of a sudden people care about morals in football. I mean, the entire sport is run by people taking care of themselves (Infantino etc). Sure, we would like it to be different, but it isn't and won't be. Saudi Arabia owns Saudi Sportswashing Machine. If it aint us, it'll just be someone else.

Anyone keen to invest in players for the club, fine by me. We already pay the higest tickets in the League. And for that, we too often get 'potential' signings.

People caring about morals in football is not a new thing. What people see as immoral may have changed a bit over time, but even this isn't exactly entirely new.

We would like it to be different, but if people don't care any morals in fotball how it will get anything other than worse?

Caring about morals is not a bad thing.

Not sure how a share aquirement would result in a player investment, surely they buy a small 20% stake and pay for their shares, how does that than transpire to an investment from a minority owner? Also surely you can't just put extra money into a club and spend it without it affecting the balance sheet and FFP
There will be 20% extra shares released which will be bought by Qatar. The money is then in the clubs accounts to do what they want with it e.g. transfers, pay off debts, build a cheese room etc.

Football doesn't hold the same grip for me as it is and it's only any affiliation to Spurs that keeps me watching at the weekend or on this forum. But with the likes of City, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Chelsea the PL handling of Terry and Suarez racism etc and things like VAR amongst other things the game just doesn't hold deep like it did.

Any move to sell to someone like Saudi, Qatar or the like for the quick home run would certainly been it for me, success has never been the driving factor for me and the community, being with mates, the buzz of going to games away certainly were. Success by any means just has never been a driver for me in support and I had a relatively fair non league career as a player which gave me my fill of football from an achievement to my pretty limited ability side of things

As I said previously i wouldnt judge those that do and would keep tickets for my son to make his own choices which I am big on

I used to hold similar views to you about this. When city and Chelsea won the lottery and started to win trophies, I used to try and wind up their fans by saying those trophies were worthless and to a certain extent it is true and it irks some of those fans, but most of them couldn’t care less and I can’t help but feel envious of all the sides that have won trophies in the last decade. Leicester have won the two biggest domestic trophies, Arsenal won 4 FA cups and look a good bet to win the title. Chelsea have won everything twice over. It’s got to a point for me where trying to take the moral high ground just doesn’t do it for me anymore. I want success. It’s bad enough when you don’t win anything, but having to watch your rivals win the lot (despite us being a better team I might add for many of those seasons) does nothing but rub salt in the wounds.

In a perfect world, of course I’d much prefer we were owned by people who love the club, are philanthropists and give back to the community, people who don’t rip off or take advantage of the fans and back the club sufficiently in order for us to compete and facilitate us winning trophies. But if I’m forced to choose between morally questionable owners who can help us get over the line and win silverware or carry on as we are and go another 10-20 years winning diddly squat then I’m sorry but I’ll take option 1 every time. Let’s be real, our owners may be nicer people than the Saudis or Qataris but we already put up with the highest ticket prices in the league for example. The club did very little to push back on UEFA when we got to the champions league final and were charged extortionate ticket prices. That’s before we even get into the European Super League fiasco. Granted it’s not the same as accepting blood money but some of our fans have an extraordinary high tolerance for putting up with nonsense from our current owners.

True subs are indeed already paid for; but cancellations for renewals etc can happen just as quickly.

PR means as much to ENIC as it does to any corporate body; as it did to Arsenal during that Wenger Out period. As it does to Liverpool, Man Utd etc. We are no different.
Even look at the reaction to Jamie O'Hara's Talksport/Sky rant saying "we'd gone backwards" or whatever he said.
He Basically received contact from someone at the club to basically "please stop with the public bashing"

Don't dismiss PR

If they were going to make a PR move to distract from negativity around Levy why on earth do so with a story about Levy talking with a Qatari investment fund after all the criticism of Qatar around the World Cup?

This only draws more criticism of Levy and ENIC. Really strange PR move if it is one.

all of a sudden people care about morals in football. I mean, the entire sport is run by people taking care of themselves (Infantino etc). Sure, we would like it to be different, but it isn't and won't be. Saudi Arabia owns Saudi Sportswashing Machine. If it aint us, it'll just be someone else.

Anyone keen to invest in players for the club, fine by me. We already pay the higest tickets in the League. And for that, we too often get 'potential' signings.
It's like in any walk of life, until people say enough is enough nothing changes. Football won't change either until there is a backlash from fans.

If they were going to make a PR move to distract from negativity around Levy why on earth do so with a story about Levy talking with a Qatari investment fund after all the criticism of Qatar around the World Cup?

This only draws more criticism of Levy and ENIC. Really strange PR move if it is one.

Not necessarily a PR move in itself, but measurement of how fans, pundits etc react to the news/leak will be monitored to see how it does affect PR imo

We could get into bed with Qatar and still not end up winning any trophies anyway:D People are talking as if it’s a given. Yes it would help our chances but there are a good few substantially funded teams in our league now, there are no guarantees this would be the magic bullet to trophies - this is Spurs after all…..

I used to hold similar views to you about this. When city and Chelsea won the lottery and started to win trophies, I used to try and wind up their fans by saying those trophies were worthless and to a certain extent it is true and it irks some of those fans, but most of them couldn’t care less and I can’t help but feel envious of all the sides that have won trophies in the last decade. Leicester have won the two biggest domestic trophies, Arsenal won 4 FA cups and look a good bet to win the title. Chelsea have won everything twice over. It’s got to a point for me where trying to take the moral high ground just doesn’t do it for me anymore. I want success. It’s bad enough when you don’t win anything, but having to watch your rivals win the lot (despite us being a better team I might add for many of those seasons) does nothing but rub salt in the wounds.

In a perfect world, of course I’d much prefer we were owned by people who love the club, are philanthropists and give back to the community, people who don’t rip off or take advantage of the fans and back the club sufficiently in order for us to compete and facilitate us winning trophies. But if I’m forced to choose between morally questionable owners who can help us get over the line and win silverware or carry on as we are and go another 10-20 years winning diddly squat then I’m sorry but I’ll take option 1 every time. Let’s be real, our owners may be nicer people than the Saudis or Qataris but we already put up with the highest ticket prices in the league for example. The club did very little to push back on UEFA when we got to the champions league final and were charged extortionate ticket prices. That’s before we even get into the European Super League fiasco. Granted it’s not the same as accepting blood money but some of our fans have an extraordinary high tolerance for putting up with nonsense from our current owners.

TBH Though its not so much moral code its what my heart tells me, like I say, my love for football has been on the wane for a while now for various reasons and I just could not get aboard the almost clinical nature of a team injected with cash to win things. I would not knock anyone who wants that and the pain of not winning things I also feel, I just know the feeling for me would be sweeter winning something without the doping.

We could get into bed with Qatar and still not end up winning any trophies anyway:D People are talking as if it’s a given. Yes it would help our chances but there are a good few substantially funded teams in our league now, there are no guarantees this would be the magic bullet to trophies - this is Spurs after all…..

I would also be cautious to get into bed with people whose plan, if to be believed on here, is to pull their money out of another team and pump into someone new, hardly bodes well if they came in and then got bored

I would also be cautious to get into bed with people whose plan, if to be believed on here, is to pull their money out of another team and pump into someone new, hardly bodes well if they came in and then got bored

It would make sense though to pull the plug on psg (brick league, crap exposure) and shift to a London team in the world's biggest and most watched league.

TBH Though its not so much moral code its what my heart tells me, like I say, my love for football has been on the wane for a while now for various reasons and I just could not get aboard the almost clinical nature of a team injected with cash to win things. I would not knock anyone who wants that and the pain of not winning things I also feel, I just know the feeling for me would be sweeter winning something without the doping.

I hear what you are saying and agree with most of it. I definitely don’t care as much as Spurs and football in general compared to say 10 years ago. I’ve realised there are other things in life that should have always been the priority, mainly family tbh. I don’t get as annoyed or upset when we lose but I still yearn for us to be successful. I honestly don’t think we will win silverware with our current setup. I hope I’m wrong, but there are too many obstacles in our way and too many things would have to go right all at the same time. We still struggle to hang on to our best players. And it’s not like we would be the only team financially doping, if we were outliers then I’d be a lot more uneasy about it.

It's like in any walk of life, until people say enough is enough nothing changes. Football won't change either until there is a backlash from fans.

Dont see any backlash from City or Saudi Sportswashing Machine or Chelsea fans (under Roman).

As i said, if it isn't us, it'll be another club. Would be plain foolish to turn our noses up because "we have morals".

Dont see any backlash from City or Saudi Sportswashing Machine or Chelsea fans (under Roman).

As i said, if it isn't us, it'll be another club. Would be plain foolish to turn our noses up because "we have morals".
Doesn't have to be a backlash from one particular set of fans, would need to be in general.

So your morals only matter when they are convenient and not when they are inconvenient and will potentially cost you something?
If that's the case you don't really have morals.

You've lost your morals because of something that happened to someone else...that's quite sad.

Sorry in advance for the ramblings...

Do I want this? Meh...could live without it to be honest because I absolutely hate that a nothing club like Emirates Marketing Project can go from yo-yo club to being the best club side in the world on the say-so of someone from thousands of miles away with as much interest in Emirates Marketing Project as I have. It's a load of crap. I can't take them seriously and I can't take Chelsea's success seriously either.

Then, would I like trophies? Yes I would. I guess that's the aim of the sport but for me it's not everything. Poch's reign was glorious because we were likable, played brilliant football and for most of the reign, it really felt that everyone in the club and every fan was pulling in the same direction. Did it take away from Poch that we didn't win a trophy? Not for me. It would have been nice but I felt proud to be a fan again, I felt like part of something special without us ever winning a trophy. It was similar under BMJ and Harry. Supporting Tottenham and supporting any club should be about more than trophies...it's the feeling of pride pulling on the club colours, its being around fellow fans and having the hope that maybe this will be our year, it's the singing and dancing after we've been dingdonged again knowing that even if we're brick, we're all brick together. And whether we are in the Premier League or the Conference, that'll always be the case. Till we take our last breath, we'll be Tottenham for better or for worse. Trophies are nice but make no difference really.

So do I want the Qatari investment? No, but I'm sort of indifferent towards it. There are pros and cons - if it happens, it happens. Levy won't consult me about it. Either way, I'll still be a Tottenham fan. Nothing will change that. It's part of who I am.

This is a question not a dig because I am genuinely intrigued

Reading your posts on non football related you have pretty strong moral views and strong views in general, why would that not extend into football for you personally?

SPRusy

Admire anyone who can (hypothetically) walk away on ethical grounds.

Like someone said and and maybe the thing that separates football and makes it ripe for all the continued sportwashing and corruption is it is like a drug for so many, an expensive habit that comes with highs and lows a non user cannot understand.

I let myself down by not completely boycotting the Qatar World cup, a scenario which literally flew against any dignity fifa could get to claim. I still became engaged when England were at the knockout stage and I think if Spurs took Qatari money I think I'd excuse it on the basis we were taking a gun to a knife fight were some other people had already brought guns.

I imagine that if we do do it it will be given more scrutiny than Roman, City 'doing it the right way' and the 'deserving' Toon army. I'm pretty sure motd and pundits in general had much more to say about the world cup than any of those teams Sportwashing their way to success and distorting the club game immeasurably.

Back