• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: So what has gone wrong with adebayor?

One goal doesn't put right his previous poor showings. Great header, had to check back almost, but he needs to show more for me.

His recent form is actually the same as Defoe's (both 1 in their last 6).

At least Defoe is lively.

As much as I rate Ade's overall play, I can't for the life of me believe that some people are actually happy with his effort and work rate. You'll get some posters who say "which games did you think he didn't work hard enough in?". Try all of them!

I was pleased we signed him last season because he was cleatly a step up from the forwards we'd seen in recent years, but every Arsenal fan I know told me that I would think he's brilliant initially, but ultimately he disappoints you. What annoys me the most is he never bloody missed a one on one when he played against us, and he scored every type of goal you can score against us, headers, one on ones, volleys from outside the area, tap ins. But his finishing is hit and miss for Spurs at best.

I used to think they can play together but it is evident albeit from a small number of games that they cant.

Defoes game has been affected by Ade's return and Ade is certainly not playing as well and hopefully he will kick on in the second half of the season.

At least Defoe is lively.

As much as I rate Ade's overall play, I can't for the life of me believe that some people are actually happy with his effort and work rate. You'll get some posters who say "which games did you think he didn't work hard enough in?". Try all of them!

I was pleased we signed him last season because he was cleatly a step up from the forwards we'd seen in recent years, but every Arsenal fan I know told me that I would think he's brilliant initially, but ultimately he disappoints you. What annoys me the most is he never bloody missed a one on one when he played against us, and he scored every type of goal you can score against us, headers, one on ones, volleys from outside the area, tap ins. But his finishing is hit and miss for Spurs at best.

I can't for the life of me understand how any can question it.
It is a common misguided belief that tall guys work less hard than little guys who because their legs are going a million miles an hour always look "busier"
As I said in another thread he would be kicked out of the side by AVB if he was not putting in a proper shift.

I can't for the life of me understand how any can question it.
It is a common misguided belief that tall guys work less hard than little guys who because their legs are going a million miles an hour always look "busier"
As I said in another thread he would be kicked out of the side by AVB if he was not putting in a proper shift.

It's got nothing to do with his height. Sigurdsson is over 6 feet tall and he still always tried hard.

I used to think they can play together but it is evident albeit from a small number of games that they cant.

Defoes game has been affected by Ade's return and Ade is certainly not playing as well and hopefully he will kick on in the second half of the season.

I'd like to see Ade and Dempsey given a try. They've looked on the same wavelength the few minutes they've been on together before (Dempsey's throughball the other day finding Ade's run for example).

Maybe rest Defoe against Coventry and QPR and see how it looks.

here's an analysis that could shed some light on the ade vs defoe comparison:

http://www.eplindex.com/24167/review-final-third-passing-data-stats-analysis.html

comparing final third passes (ftp) and final third passes completed (ftpc) across 20 games.

Interesting findings which includes
"Spurs are the most accurate and in their 20 games they have averaged 1 goal per 45.00 final-third completed passes. (Goal/FTP C)."

There's a further breakout by individual spurs players:

Spurs-Final-Third-Passing.png

could be nothing but it does show that Ade gets involved more often than defoe in a game, having chalked up almost the same number of passes in less games.

edit: in the table tfpc>ftp - i think this could be a typo as the other one below shows ftpc<ftp (i.e. ftp = completed and uncompleted passes).

Last edited:

I tell what's gone wrong with him, giving him a contract. Much like Mike Ashley rewarding Pardew a long term contract.

Correlation not causation...

Defoe has always been streaky, not as in running around naked, but running very hot and cold. Had he taken 3-4 of the chances he's had since Ade returned I think your opinion would be different. Yet the chances he's wasted playing alongside Ade have been no worse than the chances he scored from earlier in the season.

Just a bit of a coincidence imo. They played well alongside each other last season, they've done well this season as well although not exceptionally well. If we keep creating chances for Defoe we know he will score, we also know that Ade will score a reasonable amount of goals in a season as long as we create the chances. As it is we've been creating chances for both of them and we've been playing well and functioning as a team and as a result we've dominated most our matches. If we just keep doing what we've been doing the goals will come. From both of them.

Picture-27.jpg

did anyone see this? supposed to have happened after ade scored and he slipped the note in his sock promptly after reading it.

Picture-27.jpg

did anyone see this? supposed to have happened after ade scored and he slipped the note in his sock promptly after reading it.

There was a shot of AVB on the bench on the telly and he was scribbling furiously, one of the coaches were also writing something on a notepad. This was in the second half so not notes for a half time talk.

I know Mourinho used to pass notes to the players, I think I've seen AVB do the same in the past, but who knows. It's late and my memory isn't he best.

here's an analysis that could shed some light on the ade vs defoe comparison:

http://www.eplindex.com/24167/review-final-third-passing-data-stats-analysis.html

comparing final third passes (ftp) and final third passes completed (ftpc) across 20 games.

Interesting findings which includes
"Spurs are the most accurate and in their 20 games they have averaged 1 goal per 45.00 final-third completed passes. (Goal/FTP C)."

There's a further breakout by individual spurs players:

Spurs-Final-Third-Passing.png

could be nothing but it does show that Ade gets involved more often than defoe in a game, having chalked up almost the same number of passes in less games.

edit: in the table tfpc>ftp - i think this could be a typo as the other one below shows ftpc<ftp (i.e. ftp = completed and uncompleted passes).

Think there was a stat around last season that Defoe was averaging less than 20 touches per 90 mins, compared to Ade's just short of 100.

Ade is a confidence player; I expect him to go on a run now - provided he still does not go the ACN (which I wouldn't begrudge him if he did btw)

I'd like to see Ade and Dempsey given a try. They've looked on the same wavelength the few minutes they've been on together before (Dempsey's throughball the other day finding Ade's run for example).

Maybe rest Defoe against Coventry and QPR and see how it looks.

You want Defoe dropped? What a surprise!!

I tell what's gone wrong with him, giving him a contract. Much like Mike Ashley rewarding Pardew a long term contract.

Ade was poor most of 2012. His inability to hold up the ball, his constant drifting wide left when playing the lone striker or find the net without a few easy chances was a significant contributing factor in why we had a poor run of results last season.

Great header and goal by Adebayor against Reading. Hope it will boost his confidence and interest in the upcoming matches.

You're reading into it what you want to believe really aren't you?

Arsenal fans would have you believe that EVERY player that leaves them goes on to do nothing like Henry, Nasri, Cliche, Toure nd Fabregas who all left to win things with other clubs!

He needs to score a goal or two and start relaxing into his football again. He will never be a prolific goal scorer and he never has been but he'll do a job as long as he is at Spurs. Defoe has been just as infuriating over the years but until we have a better alternative we will have to put up with missed chances like yesterday.

Nah, I would really like to believe that he is just under a bad spell currently, but I'm afraid I don't.

For all Arsenal fans begrudging their former players' success, I can't recall that the players you mention has been accused of not putting in a good shift, just that they were money grabbing mercenaries etc etc when they buggered off to greener pastures. Which can be said (and is probably true) about a fair few footballers I think. But regarding Ade, it was especially mentioned the fact that he blows more cold than hot and is wildly inconsistant after being given full confidence and "a contract". As if he was just playing for a contract. As were several City fans' opinion too. I'd like nothing more than for him to prove them - especially them - utterly wrong, and for a moment I thought he was going to. But apart from a couple of excellent displays and a few good ones, he hasn't in my book.

He is a useful player when he decides to, no doubt about it, just not the player we should build our attack around, and I consider him highly replaceable in this transfer window. As for being a "confidence player", he is no youngster anymore. It may seem harsh, but a professional athlete of his age and experience should be able to perform to a certain level with or without top confidence. He should be somewhere around his peak now, what he shows at present is as good as it gets I'd reckon. I'm not overly into statistics either, I don't hold missed chances against him (unless they become habitual), just how I perceive his contribution to the play according to his position in the team. I regard his poor overview and too many touches more of a drawback to his game than his inconsistancy in front of goal anyway. And as mentioned many a time, how much he seems to care. A player who strolls disinterested out of offside when his team "counters a counter" due to his own poor play I don't regard as very caring. He often doesn't bother to regain possesion when he misplaces easy passes or loses a duel, putting pressure on us. Nor did I see his obvious eagerness to do one over Arsenal as being caused by playing for the Mighty Spurs, then again I don't believe anybody did.

Correlation not causation...

Defoe has always been streaky, not as in running around naked, but running very hot and cold. Had he taken 3-4 of the chances he's had since Ade returned I think your opinion would be different. Yet the chances he's wasted playing alongside Ade have been no worse than the chances he scored from earlier in the season.

Just a bit of a coincidence imo. They played well alongside each other last season, they've done well this season as well although not exceptionally well. If we keep creating chances for Defoe we know he will score, we also know that Ade will score a reasonable amount of goals in a season as long as we create the chances. As it is we've been creating chances for both of them and we've been playing well and functioning as a team and as a result we've dominated most our matches. If we just keep doing what we've been doing the goals will come. From both of them.

Absolutely. JD was inches away from a great goal against Reading. Ade was inches away in the game before.
The time to worry is when our strikers are not making chances not when they are missing them.

Last edited:
Back