• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Can we just please get another striker in the window and then we can all just forget about Ade and let him wither or ffoff

When he's motivated he works hard. When he came back last season under Sherwood his work rate was tremendous, particularly in the first couple of matches. That's what he's capable of. The difference between that Ade and Ade short on motivation is massive for me.

To some extent I'm not even mad though. He is what he is, we've known for a long time just how consistently inconsistent Ade is. We've chosen to keep him and Poch gambled on getting him back to his best at the start of the season. So far at least it hasn't worked out, but it was a decent gamble to take considering how good Ade is when he's on form, how poor Soldado was last season and how difficult it seems to be to sign top class strikers.

As for Ade contributing more. It's all opinions really, apart from goals and assists, and in the league Soldado isn't really doing significantly worse than Ade in that regard so far this season. Also it seems that motivating Soldado to contribute in the (smaller) cups is no issue, whereas this has rather often has seemed more difficult with Ade.

Honestly I'm not content with either of them. If we can replace them both in January that would be fine with me. If we can upgrade on one of them that would be awesome. Right now though Soldado is at least in the squad and available. It might be that the speculations about a bust up between Pochettino and Ade are just rumours and that he'll be back starting a league game for us any day now though...

This.

Let me guess this straight - you are creating a whole set of financial data based upon made up figures to work out exact costs per player. I was trying to point out that whilst he is likely our top earner, it isn't a great deal more than others. As for his wages, he waited to get paid off by City so that he took the massive decrease in wages with us and it was widely reported that Levy agreed to 100k a week. Regardless he will have cost us less than many of our players and to say ' 90% of the time he plays like a League 2 player' doesn't make any sense when he is approaching 40 goals and 25 assists in a little over 100 games for us............ his return has been fine and my point was meant to show that in terms of value for money, he is way down the list of people to point your finger at.

No, I'm using the generally accepted (or where there isn't one, a max and min) set of figures to produce some very rough figures calculated to a high(ish) accuracy. That's a very different thing entirely.

The fact that I've shown that he will cost more than one of our most expensive players even if that player has little or no sell on fee means that it's incredibly unlikely that he will cost less than many of our players.

Seeing as you're so fond of goal stats, what's his strike rate during the massive barren spells he has for us? I assume he still costs us the same whether he feels like playing or not.

Yep, right about Ade well before everyone else (except those who cannot bear to change their minds publicly) jumped on my bandwagon.

No, making up and using any irrelevant stat or idea to argue a point. You've actually become a parody of yourself now so I don't care but the new posters should be made aware before they waste time thinking they're actually debating a point with you. Carry on.

No, making up and using any irrelevant stat or idea to argue a point. You've actually become a parody of yourself now so I don't care but the new posters should be made aware before they waste time thinking they're actually debating a point with you. Carry on.

Wages and depreciation from Transfermarkt are made up and irrelevant now?

Please just have the good grace to not counter a point you cannot counter (or accept it as valid) rather than making it personal - that's an argument you certainly can't win.

If you have any more accurate values you'd like me to add up for you I'd be glad to - assuming you can find a good reason why they're more accurate than anyone else's.

No, I'm using the generally accepted (or where there isn't one, a max and min) set of figures to produce some very rough figures calculated to a high(ish) accuracy. That's a very different thing entirely.

The fact that I've shown that he will cost more than one of our most expensive players even if that player has little or no sell on fee means that it's incredibly unlikely that he will cost less than many of our players.

Seeing as you're so fond of goal stats, what's his strike rate during the massive barren spells he has for us? I assume he still costs us the same whether he feels like playing or not.

Soldado's spurs career has been one long Barren spell. Ade comes with baggage and i don't have a massive affinity with the player, but the amount of grief he gets is astounding, especially when you compare the others, who have been a lot worse and and receive fantastic support. The irony is, at least in my view that if ade was given the support and love by the fans that soldado has up to this point been given, it would (barring in mind what I feel is his personality type) have resulted in hugely improved performances and much more good ade then bad ade.

Soldado's spurs career has been one long Barren spell. Ade comes with baggage and i don't have a massive affinity with the player, but the amount of grief he gets is astounding, especially when you compare the others, who have been a lot worse and and receive fantastic support. The irony is, at least in my view that if ade was given the support and love by the fans that soldado has up to this point been given, it would (barring in mind what I feel is his personality type) have resulted in hugely improved performances and much more good ade then bad ade.

Don't know why you are surprised. Spurs fans have a history of "untouchables" and spacegoats - who will get praise/stick almost irrespective of what they do...

Wages and depreciation from Transfermarkt are made up and irrelevant now?

Please just have the good grace to not counter a point you cannot counter (or accept it as valid) rather than making it personal - that's an argument you certainly can't win.

If you have any more accurate values you'd like me to add up for you I'd be glad to - assuming you can find a good reason why they're more accurate than anyone else's.

Can you add up all of Soldado's league goals that didn't come from the penalty spot and compare that total to all of Ade's and tell me which is the greater amount? Thanks.

I think Pochettino's reasons for persisting with Adebayor are probably fairly simple. Similar to Costa and Drogba at Chelsea, Benzema at Real, Giroud at Arsenal and many other sides with certain systems - there is a requirement for a strong number 9 who can hold the ball up and link up play.

He probably realised that Soldado and Kane were not ideal for his system and persisted with Adebayor. He isn't on form and is not playing well. He has gone 2 up top to compensate.

If he cannot get him firing I assume we will be in the market for a quality target man.

I think Pochettino's reasons for persisting with Adebayor are probably fairly simple. Similar to Costa and Drogba at Chelsea, Benzema at Real, Giroud at Arsenal and many other sides with certain systems - there is a requirement for a strong number 9 who can hold the ball up and link up play.

He probably realised that Soldado and Kane were not ideal for his system and persisted with Adebayor. He isn't on form and is not playing well. He has gone 2 up top to compensate.

If he cannot get him firing I assume we will be in the market for a quality target man.

Hope so. And if we can get a quality target man I would replace Ade regardless because I really don't think he can be trusted to perform with any consistency.

If we can't get a quality target man I would rather have an average target man at this point than Ade. I would ship out Ade and get Lambert in in a heartbeat.

(Edit: Not that I think Lambert is gettable, just an example)

Hope so. And if we can get a quality target man I would replace Ade regardless because I really don't think he can be trusted to perform with any consistency.

If we can't get a quality target man I would rather have an average target man at this point than Ade. I would ship out Ade and get Lambert in in a heartbeat.

Long term, is a target man what we need alongside Kane? I think we need pace, more dynanism, someone who can run in behind. They also need to fit into Poch's pressing game. Not that he fits in perfectly with this but I fully expect us to go back in for Jay Rod assuming he can prove he's over his injury.

Even a Bobby Zamora type would do for me.

Any beast of a number 9.

But they are a massive commodity. I think we should break the bank in this particular pursuit. Hope we do.

Long term, is a target man what we need alongside Kane? I think we need pace, more dynanism, someone who can run in behind. They also need to fit into Poch's pressing game. Not that he fits in perfectly with this but I fully expect us to go back in for Jay Rod assuming he can prove he's over his injury.

Jay Rodriguez primarily played on the left for Southampton didn't he (Eriksen/Chadli position)?

Poch used Lambert fairly consistently at Southampton. When he could sign a striker he didn't sign a pacey striker, he signed Osvaldo. Not quite a PL target man, but definitely someone a bit strong and hold-up capable (yes, hold-up capable is now a term ;) ).

For us he clearly wanted it to work out with Ade.

It seems to me that in his system he wants someone a bit big and strong that can hold the ball up, be a target for crosses and longer balls, play flick-ons etc. Long term Kane could be that #9 perhaps. He might also grow more into a #10 role. It might turn out he won't be quite good enough to be first choice for us (I obviously hope he will, and I think there's a solid chance of it).

Right now though we need options for Kane. He's too young and likely to be too inconsistent to carry that burden on his own. Soldado can't play that role, Ade seemed incapable of playing that role well under Poch and is now somewhere in between limbo, on his way out and on his way back to playing inconsistently. I think a target man is important and I think it would help the rest of our team play better.

If we could get Benteke for example, and I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, and I'm not entirely convinced he'll be good enough long term to be a first choice striker for a top 4 team either. But this season, and next, we'd be a lot stronger (literally and figuratively). I think that could be the case with someone cheaper like Gignac as well, although I haven't seen enough of him to feel as confident about that as I would with Lambert, Benteke etc.

Of course there's a cost, and an opportunity cost. If Dybala really is "the next Aguero" and we could get him and it's between him and a new target man that's better for the short term I get that it's a tough decision and one I'm glad I'm not the one making. In that case I would rather sell Soldado, Ade, Paulinho and Townsend and get both in if at all possible rather than go without a target man or with Ade as our only option to young Kane for that role.

Bottom line. I just don't trust Ade to perform. I haven't for a long time. Even when he's in reasonable form I see his name on the team sheet and I don't trust him. Yeah, once in a while he's awesome. Yeah, a decent portion of the time he's at least alright and perhaps good. I just don't feel he can be trusted.

Even a Bobby Zamora type would do for me.

Any beast of a number 9.

But they are a massive commodity. I think we should break the bank in this particular pursuit. Hope we do.

For "the right one" definitely break the bank. I really don't know who that would be though.

If we can't get "the right one" though (a likely option) I would rather get someone than no one for that role...

For "the right one" definitely break the bank. I really don't know who that would be though.

If we can't get "the right one" though (a likely option) I would rather get someone than no one for that role...
I really like Mitrovic. He is a proper 9.

I still think Llorente would be an ideal type of player. I remember lots of premature evacuation type comments about signing him on here a few years ago.

But I think we can continue this on the striker thread.

Agreement is that Ade needs to go. His wages are too much. He is way too inconsistent. I don't hate him though. I just don't think he can help us anymore because of his erraticness. And the fact he finishes with the power of my 8 year old way too often.

Cardozo from five years ago would be excellent. We should go for Mitrovic, he's got a great future.

Can you add up all of Soldado's league goals that didn't come from the penalty spot and compare that total to all of Ade's and tell me which is the greater amount? Thanks.
Ade's scored 134 league goals, Soldado's scored 170. Ade's been playing a season longer than Soldado.

Havent got a clue how many came from the penalty spot, neither do I know nor care which ones were from backheels and which were from the corner of the 6 yard box.

Protip:
If you want a statb1tch go hire one.

Back