• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Onwards indeed. However, sending links to 'the history of laughter' for want of a better description is not needed. You can't just say that's how he is! Laughing at some of the things he does/doesn't do doesn't come across well - remember Ian Walker?

Anyway, back to his footballing faults eh ;)

It absolutely WAS needed because you didn't gauge the point I was making and thought I was being sarcastic! It's no different to you calling him lazy is it?

Let's head back to debating his football, that I will agree with ;)

watch him without prejudice :) he needs to work harder to get into more scoring positions or to deliberately create space by luring a defender out when his team mate is in a scoring position.

for what he does now, just chasing down opponents and going out to the wings - don't you think we can be better off with a proper midfielder there?

I'm going to use your post mate to ask a general question of the thread so as we can get beyond the tediousness of disagreement.

Who should play instead of Adebayor and how should they be deployed? What line-up should we put out and in what shape? What should our tactical approach be?

One more question; do we feel that Lamela and Ericksen are doing enough to get into threatening positions?

Ok Steff I'll take that on.

I would swap Soldado for Ade into the front four with eriksen, Lamella and chadli. For me that four is a better unit wanting to play a similar style.
Ade would profit more with playing with natural wingers and someone like paulinho, though not paulinho, who is going to support him from behind.
In my view Ade wants the ball played to his body for him to get a shot off, Soldado is more a movement for a ball to be played into space to leave him one on one with the keeper type striker.
Horses for courses.
Then there's Harry, I don't think Harry is better than Ade or Soldado at anything except maybe shooting from range BUT he is much more adaptable and could play in either system which I don't think any of the other two can.

Eriksen certainly isn't doing enough which is making it easier to nullify Ade and Lamella.

I like Poch and think he's doing a good job but this forward thing is a slight worry. Everyone can see it isn't working but there doesn't see to be any change imminent.
Patience is required though and am sure he knows what he's doing.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

watch him without prejudice :) he needs to work harder to get into more scoring positions or to deliberately create space by luring a defender out when his team mate is in a scoring position.

for what he does now, just chasing down opponents and going out to the wings - don't you think we can be better off with a proper midfielder there?

Yes, i agree. I've pointed that out in a post above. I think he could apply himself more intelligently. Definately. But then again, i wonder how much that is Ade and how much that is down to instructions. For example, when Ade scored 17 goals under Redknapp, he was leading the line more and getting on the end of opportunities.

It goes back to what happened at Southampton under Poch where their 'main' forward Lambert was almost used as a pivot for everyone else to play off and wasn't so much tasked with the goal-scoring duties as such. Southampton's forwards pulled all over the place and it was often Rodriguez or Lallana who found themselves furthest foward.

We're seeing that often Ade drops deeper and Chadli, Eriksen and to a lesser extent Lamela are the ones running past him. What the aim of this might be to do is to draw out the defenders marking Ade who then let the runners go in the confusion. Chadli has profited from this most this season.

I don't think Ade is perfect, it's just that I have a hard time debating his strengths and weaknesses with people who fail to pin-point his actual weaknesses and where he could do better, but just recite and endless stream of what those in the media have perpetuated, plus ridiculous stuff like the fact that he laughs when he screws-up, that they don't like his hair etc

Ok Steff I'll take that on.

I would swap Soldado for Ade into the front four with eriksen, Lamella and chadli. For me that four is a better unit wanting to play a similar style.
Ade would profit more with playing with natural wingers and someone like paulinho, though not paulinho, who is going to support him from behind.
In my view Ade wants the ball played to his body for him to get a shot off, Soldado is more a movement for a ball to be played into space to leave him one on one with the keeper type striker.
Horses for courses.
Then there's Harry, I don't think Harry is better than Ade or Soldado at anything except maybe shooting from range BUT he is much more adaptable and could play in either system which I don't think any of the other two can.

Eriksen certainly isn't doing enough which is making it easier to nullify Ade and Lamella.

I like Poch and think he's doing a good job but this forward thing is a slight worry. Everyone can see it isn't working but there doesn't see to be any change imminent.
Patience is required though and am sure he knows what he's doing.

I don't agree. Poch likes his strikers to drop deep and make space for the three behind to attack. This is not Soldado's natural game.

That's fine milo but as I understood steffs question it was how we thought the team should play, not pochs idea. I might be wrong on that though.
I don't see eriksen as a being a runner in behind type player and maybe that's why he is struggling for form. Where as if you watch chadli he does that quite a bit for Belgium and maybe that's why he is thriving.
Horses for courses.
The eriksen thing could also be why Ade is not having the best of times, if eriksen isn't running in behind or at least supporting him it's giving Ade a lot to do on one side.

I don't agree. Poch likes his strikers to drop deep and make space for the three behind to attack. This is not Soldado's natural game.

I see what you mean, but I dont think its healthy for us to just keep focusing on one system, one style of play, Lambert is very different to Ade, he might not have as much ability but he has a superior football brain.

Have already given my views on set up in 'how do we score goals' thread.

Pochettino is a disciple of Bielsa right?? Well when I watched Bilbao the main striker in his system (llorente) didnt do much dropping deep, he was the classic fox in the box, all the movement was behind him. If we are just going to focus on this system that all seems ingrained into our heads then yes I think Kane has far more awareness of his teamates to make the system work....and yes I have watched enough of Ade this season, enough to realise that his inclusion every week is indeed handicapping us.

plus ridiculous stuff like the fact that he laughs when he screws-up, that they don't like his hair etc

You do realise I was joking about Ade's hair right? read back a few pages to understand why I posted that.

Please also try and understand I like to give people a chance and formulate my own views, My views are not representative of hearing Merson on Soccer Saturday or reading the latest article having a pop at him....my views come from watching him over the course of his career here.....Its not all bad as I have admitted there is a beast of a player in their somewhere, but in terms of weighing up good ade then bad ade....well lets just say that the good ade scale is up in the air.

What are his weaknesses.....poor control, poor decision making, poor finishing, poor anticipation.....the lists goes on and the games go by with his scoring record and team contribution becoming more and more pathetic.

I see what you mean, but I dont think its healthy for us to just keep focusing on one system, one style of play, Lambert is very different to Ade, he might not have as much ability but he has a superior football brain.

Have already given my views on set up in 'how do we score goals' thread.

Pochettino is a disciple of Bielsa right?? Well when I watched Bilbao the main striker in his system (llorente) didnt do much dropping deep, he was the classic fox in the box, all the movement was behind him. If we are just going to focus on this system that all seems ingrained into our heads then yes I think Kane has far more awareness of his teamates to make the system work....and yes I have watched enough of Ade this season, enough to realise that his inclusion every week is indeed handicapping us.
That's fair enough but before the season started there seemed to be a consensus that we needed to give the new manager time to bed in his ideas and assess the squad. What has changed to make people think that we should no longer do this?

Milo, I don't think the way we are playing just now is the Poch sees us playing next season or beyond. At the moment he is fitting roundish players in round holes. As each game goes by he can see which players will get rounder and which won't and will need to be moved on.
It's not until he has a first 11 of round players in round holes that his system will truly be his and he can judged on it.
It's evolution not revolution IMHO.

at the moment we're got one of the weakest attacks in the EPL, maybe its time for a change of tactics to suit the players we have ?

if poch insists that we stick to his style, he should have demanded that we got him a striker that can.

while i agree with glasgowspur that poch must not be stubborn in changing his ways, i would also understand that its still early days and perhaps the priority is to get the system bedded down first. in which case, then poch is taking a big risk going for the long term at the expense of the short term.

Milo, I don't think the way we are playing just now is the Poch sees us playing next season or beyond. At the moment he is fitting roundish players in round holes. As each game goes by he can see which players will get rounder and which won't and will need to be moved on.
It's not until he has a first 11 of round players in round holes that his system will truly be his and he can judged on it.
It's evolution not revolution IMHO.

I think that the Southampton game was the closest we have been to how his Southampton team played last season. I am assuming that this is how he wants us to play but I could well be wrong about this.

It wasn't the slickest performance and not everything came off but it was clear to see a game plan being applied. This is a game plan that I do not see Soldado as being well equipped for. I also do not think that chopping and changing the personnel just as things are beginning to settle is a good idea.

I agree about the players and I am sure that we will see players move on in the summer with better suited replacements coming in. My reading of it is that the players in the Premier League team are the ones that best fit Poch's plans.

I never really saw the Southampton game.
It's not that I prefer Soldado over Ade, more the systems that they would suit. I also think eriksen, Lamella and chadli would suit the system to.

It will be interesting long term to see how much if any pochs system is changed. With supposedly a better squad and the ability to attract better players will his ideas morph a little?
Very interesting and positive times ahead.

How did this all play out at Southampton regarding implementing systems?, when did he receive new additions to the squad? and how did results go over the whole season?

How did this all play out at Southampton regarding implementing systems?, when did he receive new additions to the squad? and how did results go over the whole season?

I think you need to consider what he inherited there and how much he really changed them during his first season.

I don't think he did anything major at first because they were already doing okay, but he would know his squad inside out and they'd be in a much better position going into his first pre-season with them. Only now is he started to learn the true nature of our players. It's all good when you're running your ass off trying to impress in the first few weeks, but how do you deal with the pressure when things get tough? Maybe you're not playing well and you're in and out of the team? Maybe you're stuck in the B-side, unable to show what you can do because of the circumstances?

Those that aren't a good fit for what he wants or has a poor attitude will no doubt be dealt with next summer.

Back