• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Not when "actual contribution" is attributed to a goal stat, which is completely off his performance levels.

I understand he was never the prolific poacher and I'm not arguing he was brick - simply feel he's often elevated to Berbatov/Sheringham levels of quality which is a tad OTT

While I do agree with that to some extent, there is far more to football. Hence why Defoe is second to VDV, despite banging in goals everytime he's on the pitch

Ah come on Tot...OF COURSE any striker is about more than goals. I've said so several times in this thread.

My sole and solitary point is that while Kanoute was and is a talented footballer, the adoration he gets here is way out of proportion. In a straight comparison with Berbs and Ade, he's less naturally talented than the former, and less effective than the latter.

I understand he was never the prolific poacher and I'm not arguing he was brick - simply feel he's often elevated to Berbatov/Sheringham levels of quality which is a tad OTT

Kanoute always had the talent, he showed how much for Sevilla in Spain where he season after season where he had a 1 in 2 record.

a better finisher than he is given credit for

You can't compare Berbs and Ade.

Berbatov was miles ahead; Ade has been good but people are forgetting how good Berbasex was.

I always maintained it was because he had a laconic style of running.

He definately has a languid body language, but imo, like Berbatov, sometimes he just couldnt be arsed to stretch out a leg, or chase a ball if it was over 1 meter away from his foot. Really frustrating.

I liked Freddie though. I dont think he's overrated among Spurs fans, as some claim. I just think he was what he was....there was no doubt we suffered from his drop in form after the whole Mali thing.

I was at the Cup game against Palace, his last before the ACN....I remember the crowd singning "you're French, and you know you are!"

He scored a hat-trick, but was getting quite a bit of stick from one or two.

i don't think anyone over rates Kanoute as such, i think most of us that do like him know he wasn't exactly a great forward for us it's just that we liked his style - i used to love watching him play - he entertained me

That's because people conveniently seem to forget, how many he assisted or assisted-assisted.

He literally carried Defoe for huge periods.

What a bizarre comment, although not unusual for here to have a unnecessary dig at Defoe. They had a good partnership in which Defoe did his job and finished a few goals. Defoe was the higher rated at the time and has continued to bang in goals no matter who he played with at Spurs. Kanoute on the other hand only looked at his best with Defoe next to him.

Kanoute was nothing special at Spurs at all. We all saw what he could do at his best, but he was rarely able to produce this for whatever reason. As a team we produced much better performances (or at least consistent) with Mido in the team. Kanoute was willingly sold by us for an average fee, this reflected his time with the club.

He went on to have some very good seasons in Spain, this happens with some players (performing better in different leagues), probably struggled to get to his best form in the PL because of the speed he was closed down. Probably formed a good partnership with Defoe because of his quick sharp movement, meant he could play it before losing it.

In terms of their time at Spurs, Berba was a bit better than Ade, Ade has been A LOT better than Kanoute.

Last edited:
Well pardon my attempts at writing in my second language.

Haha, I don't blame you, seems like 50% of native English speakers use 'literally' every three words these days... just one of my pet peeves. I don't know how to say one word in Danish....

Back