• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

It was more that Defoe's movement gave City different problems and gave the midfield something to aim for. Rather than playing in front of the defence like we do with Ade, we started trying to play it behind them. Ade is often looking for the ball to feet, Defoe is looking for balls to run on to and that made the difference from where I was sitting.

I would point out that we changed a relatively creatively stifled midfield in Parker and Dembele, into one that was far more creative with Huddlestone, Holtby and Dembele. We started to play behind them when Bale started making runs, before Defoe came on.

Defoe's finish was good though.

It doesn't disprove my point though. The table isn't 'Defoe's contribution to the side', It's 'The eleven players we were playings results'.

He had a purple patch at the start of season that helped the team. He wasn't winning the games all on his own. Then he returned to his usual inconsistent self goal wise.

Exactly, which Defoe was a part of, therefore disproving your point that we cannot afford to have 'a starting striker that gets involved so little'. We were 3rd.

No matter which way you try to spin it mate, Defoe played a big part for us earlier on in the season, he may not be the answer to our problems up-front but that is no excuse to entirely dismiss his ample contribution at the start of the season that helped us into a very healthy position.

Exactly, which Defoe was a part of, therefore disproving your point that we cannot afford to have 'a starting striker that gets involved so little'. We were 3rd.

No matter which way you try to spin it mate, Defoe played a big part for us earlier on in the season, he may not be the answer to our problems up-front but that is no excuse to entirely dismiss his ample contribution at the start of the season that helped us into a very healthy position.

If a player plays well for a few games, he's allowed to do fudge all the rest of the season?

Defoe played well for us at the start of the season. I haven't denied that. However his overall season has still been poor. Ade's has been poorer, however we need to utilise the players to the best of the abilities for the remaining games. Defoe excels as a late entrant, so he should be used as a late entrant.

Some of the excuses for Adebayor are comical. "Defoe only contributes when he scores". I'd rather have that then Ade who rarely scores AND contributes nothing. How many points has Ade's play won us this season? Call me old fashioned, but I want my strikers to be a goal threat. If we want a striker who does nothing but runs around a lot, we may as well just buy Heskey or Welbeck.

Hilarious that Jordinho doesn't rate players that simply work hard and offer nothing else, and yet he rates Adebayor! Players like Tevez has been called a "headless chicken" on this forum.

I don't rate Defoe highly either, but to say Ade has been better than him this season is macaronic.

You're wasting your keyboard, mate - if people are coming out with the same tired excuses even after yesterday's performance - there is no hope

Totally agree with Arc on this one :eek:

Based on yesterday Ade, although better than recent PL games, was poor. More of JD for me til the end of the season.

Do you think Ade got 'involved' more than Defoe yesterday?

Quite clearly. He was far more involved in our play. What you are trying to ask is about effectiveness.

Defoe was more effective than Ade yesterday. He benefited from the substitute role, coming on late when people are tiring physically and mentally and he profited. I am happy with that. I want him to do that again in our remaining games.

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

We can't play for 70 minutes carrying Ade then hope Defoe comes off the bench and saves us!!

We can't play for 70 minutes carrying Defoe and hope Ade comes off the bench to save us either. As a number of recent games showed.

Neither of them are great. One of them is extremely effective in a substitute role. So why not make use of that?

Quite clearly. He was far more involved in our play. What you are trying to ask is about effectiveness.

Defoe was more effective than Ade yesterday. He benefited from the substitute role, coming on late when people are tiring physically and mentally and he profited. I am happy with that. I want him to do that again in our remaining games.

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Wow - I would have sworn we both watched different games

I saw a big lump chasing shadow, beaten in the air every single time, fudge all link up, fudge all movement, fudge all goal-threat, fudge all shots towards (not even at) goal

Defoe didn't benefit from the 'substitute role' - he benefited from actually playing on the field. His direct movement lead to his goal by opening up play and actually looking to take some shots. You know, like strikers do on occasions, mate.

I have a lot of time for Ade but for people to come out with the usual Defoe berating after yesterday's performance is laughable, imv - with respect

We can't play for 70 minutes carrying Defoe and hope Ade comes off the bench to save us either. As a number of recent games showed.

On current form Defoe looks the bigger goal threat and deserves to start at the DW

Hell, even Dempsey looks in better form :eek:

Wow - I would have sworn we both watched different games

I saw a big lump chasing shadow, beaten in the air every single time, fudge all link up, fudge all movement, fudge all goal-threat, fudge all shots towards (not even at) goal

Defoe didn't benefit from the 'substitute role' - he benefited from actually playing on the field. His direct movement lead to his goal by opening up play and actually looking to take some shots. You know, like strikers do on occasions, mate.

I have a lot of time for Ade but for people to come out with the usual Defoe berating after yesterday's performance is laughable, imv - with respect

I'm saying he's highly effective as a substitute. Which has been shown over his career, and was also shown yesterday.

Claiming that a good substitute performance proves he should start is laughable imv. with respect. What it shows is that he can perform a good substitute role.

He carries a goal threat - much more than Ade at the moment

Would you like to see that goal threat present on the pitch for 20 mins or 70 mins?

Neither of them are great. One of them is extremely effective in a substitute role. So why not make use of that?

That hasn't happened recently though. Certainly not in the past 2 months maybe longer with Ade coming off the bench.

Dempsey behind Defoe for me personally. I know JD came off the bench yesterday and helped turn the game around but there's no certainty he'll do the same next time out. However, I'm almost certain Ade won't turn up against Wigan.

On current form Defoe looks the bigger goal threat and deserves to start at the DW

Hell, even Dempsey looks in better form :eek:

Wut?

Ade - 3 goals in ten games.

Defoe - 1 goal in ten games.

Defoe was rated our worst player in the Swansea, Fulham, Inter and Liverpool games. Is that the 'form' you are talking about?

In fairness Dempsey has been better than both over the entire season, but hasn't seemed to fit in the lone striker role.

Ade has looked pants in his last 3-4 games (bar Everton) - are you suggesting otherwise?

Defoe looked much sharper than him and deserves the nod based on form

I would definitely suggest otherwise. Ade looked good against Everton and Basel.

Whereas Defoe looks bad for four games, good for one game and suddenly people are jizzing themselves over his 'form'?

I'm not jizzing myself over anything - simply noting the rather obvious - Ade was average at best against Basel, imv

Would you rather play a striker who looks nothing like scoring vs. someone who looks sharp and fresh following a 3-4 weeks rest?

I'm not jizzing myself over anything - simply noting the rather obvious - Ade was average at best against Basel, imv

Would you rather play a striker who looks nothing like scoring vs. someone who looks sharp and fresh following a 3-4 weeks rest?

I've seen how this works out. It happened last month too. Defoe comes on against Arsenal and puts in a good performance, everyone goes crazy and calls for him to be starting. It did not go well.

The rather obvious? One game is not form. It's one game.

I would rather go with the player in better form. Which is Ade.

Back