• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Neither are good enough, no point arguing over who has been slightly less disappointing this season. I still think Defoe has a role to play next season as an impact sub maybe. Ade needs to go though.
Obviously a new striker is priority #1 this summer.

I do not disagree with the fact that both have been disappointing

Unless another no mark club gets a sugar daddy it's extremely likely that Ade will still be here next season, though I'm sure we'll try our hardest to find some competition for him.

Unless another no mark club gets a sugar daddy it's extremely likely that Ade will still be here next season, though I'm sure we'll try our hardest to find some competition for him.

No other club is going to be dumb enough to offer him that kind of money

So Adebayor gets into all these wonderful goal scoring positions yet has managed just 3 league goals all season? Methinks that is pretty poor

Sure he ran about without the ball but there was no end product whenever he had the ball

If you think Adebayor has contributed more to our cause this season than Defoe then I cannot take you seriously

Well, I don't take much of what you or the other haters in this thread say seriously, so go ahead. I think I'm just going to use it as a source of entertainment from now on. It's quite amusing seeing all the endless hate from time to time.

Really if you want to defend Ade all well and good but in doing so why the need to do down Defoe. From Spursalot some of the most articulate yet completely ridiculous arguments I have ever seen both defending Ade and doing down Defoe. A supposedly elite footballer on 100k per week, who can't shoot barely holds up the ball (becuase he can so rarely control it) and has wait for it NO assists this season. Yet we are irrational when we criticise Ade.

If he spent the whole game lumbering around near the penalty spot, waiting for the others to pass the ball to him, would that mean he had a great game? No wandering into wide areas. He would achieve fudge all as Kompany and Nastasic would have blocked or tackled almost every shot, but at least he got into scoring positions. Pretty much what Defoe offers, except he's a little further out so he can blast it into the stands instead.

Why not accept the fact that Adebayor isn't some towering beast that will score 25 goals. Instead we're using him as part of a team, set up to get the most out of some of our other players. Ade ran his socks off today. Claiming otherwise just means you didn't watch the game. We put on 3 subs perfectly suited to take advantage of the situation. More space opening up, more time on the ball.

Apart from the first quarter of the season Defoe has been abysmal. Contributing not much more than giving away possession. Dempsey and Ade get nothing but grief, but over the course of whole season they have been more important to the team.

=D>

Really if you want to defend Ade all well and good but in doing so why the need to do down Defoe. From Spursalot some of the most articulate yet completely ridiculous arguments I have ever seen both defending Ade and doing down Defoe. A supposedly elite footballer on 100k per week, who can't shoot barely holds up the ball (becuase he can so rarely control it) and has wait for it NO assists this season. Yet we are irrational when we criticise Ade.

If they are ridiculous you should be trying to refute them rather then just claiming they are ridiculous.

Defoe is not a good starting striker. That's basically the crux of it.

If we start Defoe and sub Ade on later we're doing two things wrong. Ade will have less impact as a sub and Defoe won't have the space to operate as a starting lone forward.

Last edited:
It's a shame QPR are being relegated this season as i'm sure they would have been a club we could have flogged him off to in the summer.

If they are ridiculous you should be trying to refute them rather then just claiming they are ridiculous.

If we start Defoe and sub Ade on later we're doing two things wrong. Ade will have less impact as a sub and Defoe won't have the space to operate as a lone forward.

The refute was today's game - I argued many times yesterday that defoe was more of a goal threat. In the end goals win games.

I know, Defoe used to be one of the untouchables, like Dawson. He still is in the eyes of some.

I've never said that I think Ade is having a great season. Overall I'd give it a C. Defoe gets a C-. The team isn't set up for either of them to be a 25-goal striker though, so you have to look at what else they bring and Ade edges out Defoe in overall play.

I just don't agree with the relentless hating of Ade and as such try to balance it out.

So Adebayor gets into all these wonderful goal scoring positions yet has managed just 3 league goals all season? Methinks that is pretty poor

Sure he ran about without the ball but there was no end product whenever he had the ball

If you think Adebayor has contributed more to our cause this season than Defoe then I cannot take you seriously

Please some one come up with some stats re: assists and goals and compare Defoe vs Ade. I am just too tired to search the internet. Dempsey, who is not even a striker has more goals and assists than our main striker.

The refute was today's game - I argued many times yesterday that defoe was more of a goal threat. In the end goals win games.

But if Defoe isn't scoring he contributes very little. He doesn't score in every game. When Ade doesn't score, his contribution can still lead to goals for us, whereas often Defoe's inability to keep possession in the opposition's half often in fact leads to goals for them.

Context man. Neither of them can perform on their own, everyone is dependant on everyone else out there. Defoe scored a goal,but that's all he did. He wouldn't have if he had played the opening 20 minutes instead of the final. The way things were going when he came on it was perfectly set up for him.

There's a reason why someone like Solskjaer scored most of his goals as a sub. That didn't mean that the player he replaced had done a poor job because it was 0-0 when he went off, quite the contrary.

No, that's not a refute, its actually a support of what he said.

...He didnt start today. And i can't really take it seriously when people brandish the phrase "goals win games".

Context man. Neither of them can perform on their own, everyone is dependant on everyone else out there. Defoe scored a goal,but that's all he did. He wouldn't have if he had played the opening 20 minutes instead of the final. The way things were going when he came on it was perfectly set up for him.

There's a reason why someone like Solskjaer scored most of his goals as a sub. That didn't mean that the player he replaced had done a poor job because it was 0-0 when he went off, quite the contrary.

?

I rather have him scoring match-winning goals and doing 'nothing else' than someone running around and doing 'nothing at all'

The Defoe hate on here is laughable at times, really

If he spent the whole game lumbering around near the penalty spot, waiting for the others to pass the ball to him, would that mean he had a great game? No wandering into wide areas. He would achieve fudge all as Kompany and Nastasic would have blocked or tackled almost every shot, but at least he got into scoring positions. Pretty much what Defoe offers, except he's a little further out so he can blast it into the stands instead.

This might shock you - but there are different types of strikers out there - Defoe has always been a quick poacher, 18-yard box type of a player, running off the shoulder of the last defender - so I'm not entirely sure how you can knock him for that. That's laughable really.

Please tell me exactly what Adebayor achieved in that game - beaten in the air every single time, couldn't trap a bag of cement, didn't get into ANY goal-scoring opportunities, can;t recall him even taking a shot at goal. Poor game all around - I like him as a player and think he offers more that Defoe on a good day but won't defending him blindly trolling after every single game

How can you possibly argue for him in this particular instance is beyond me - he did fudge all.

I

Why not accept the fact that Adebayor isn't some towering beast that will score 25 goals. Instead we're using him as part of a team, set up to get the most out of some of our other players. Ade ran his socks off today. Claiming otherwise just means you didn't watch the game. We put on 3 subs perfectly suited to take advantage of the situation. More space opening up, more time on the ball.

Why don't you accept that Defoe isn't this mythical all-rounder RvP-like striker and praise him for what he offers to the team - instead of always looking to undermine his achievements and goals using tired little cliches to the tune of 'that is all he does, Ade creates chances, etc.'

Apart from the first quarter of the season Defoe has been abysmal. Contributing not much more than giving away possession. Dempsey and Ade get nothing but grief, but over the course of whole season they have been more important to the team.

Ade has been abysmal ALL season - yet you've given him a higher season rating than Defoe

Last edited:
Back