• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

The problem with Ade is that he isnt direct, he doesnt shoot or take his man on.

A bit like Parker or Siggurdson, he wants to pass it around all day long until we actually lose the ball.

This why the subs by avb were good because on came defoe and Hudd who have only one thing in mind, passing direct to striker for Hudd and shooting for defoe. And thats what we want.

It's not necessarily what everyone wants or what AVB wants, but it heavily influences how people rate players.

Like I said before, if he was a youth player or a stop gap like Saha you'd cut him more slack but its absolutely clear that Ade needs to be moved on. On the wages he's on, hes taking the tinkle. I mean you are talking about a striker who you are lucky if he has 1 shot in 90mins. Its crazy, people are even suggesting that we should start him as he is so useless as a sub!! We were warned of the striker we would get if we got him on a permanent deal and it is exactly as we were told. The question is how much of a pay off will we have to give him to get him to go.

Unbelievable comments again. Ade wore down their defence and made it easier for our guys to run them ragged 2nd half.
We beat the champions 3-1 and the defence done their job today.

I do agree to some extent. Ade links our play together and helps use build through possession. Defoe is much more direct and the consquence is we give away possession far more, and thereby end up doing much more defending.

I do agree to some extent. Ade links our play together and helps use build through possession. Defoe is much more direct and the consquence is we give away possession far more, and thereby end up doing much more defending.

Well the consequence today was he went off, and we scored 3 goals after.

I know you're a big fan of his, but even your patience with him must be wearing a little thin?

I know you're a big fan of his, but even your patience with him must be wearing a little thin?

And the only reason for that is Adebayor going off? It didn't matter that we'd played 70 minutes at that point? Ade DID play a big part in working their defence and Defoe had all the space he needed to get his shot off. One of only 4 times Defoe touched the ball in the 20 minutes he was on.

And the only reason for that is Adebayor going off? It didn't matter that we'd played 70 minutes at that point? Ade DID play a big part in working their defence and Defoe had all the space he needed to get his shot off. One of only 4 times Defoe touched the ball in the 20 minutes he was on.

You're happy with how he played today and his performances this season?

Sorry but I expect £100k a week strikers to do more than "creatw space" and "work the defence"

Last edited:

So the space defoe had was created by adebayor? :lol:

Kompany did not seem too tired dealing with him..

avb did the right thing by having ade start.

the goals came when play opened up in the 2nd half (bale said this in his post match interview) and we were going "long" with holtby and thudd - perfect for defoe and bale to run on to.

siggy, ade, parker all did their part in fighting for every ball, and committing to a high paced first half.

avb deserves alot for his gameplan today. mancini was totally drawn into committing everything into the first half and was totally caught out by AVB's plan B. Their players looked both devastated and exhausted at the end.

Sorry but I expect £100k a week strikers to do more than "creatw space" and "work the defence"

It's shocked me how bad he's been this season. We always knew he's the kind of player who has good seasons and off seasons but this season has been unbelievably bad. His movement is non-existent. He puts in about as much work rate as Berbatov but Berbatov always had the class and skill in barrels to make up for it. Actually no, Berbatov worked much harder. The ball comes towards Ade and there's no effort to go towards it. He sits there waiting and you don't see him sprinting when he's got it ever. He hardly breaks into a jog. He's probably the only player who can play 90 miniutes and come off the field without a drop of sweat on him. And I include the goal keepers in that assesment.

I'd say today was average, but nobody did much for us going forward in the 1st half. One of the main reason that our subs looked good was the fact that City were tiring and gave them more time and space. If that shot hadn't gone in Defoe would have been by far the worst player out there. We aren't using Ade as a focal point to launch crosses at and we struggled to create much else before HT.

He didn't have a bad game. He put himself about and contributed in the thankless lone forward role. People are just on his back because Gary Neville made a cheap shot at him.

Yes, Defoe was better to run at tired legs. But I would never start with Defoe against a top team - we'd be on the back foot straight away without that ability to retain possession up the field.

I think, once again, it's a case of perspective. Not saying he's pulling up trees, but in the first-half his service is basically pared down to two central midfielders who cannot pass quickly and are sitting deep plus a total lack of width AND a starman feeling his way back into the game with a degree of reserve. Yet he still got through a lot of huff and puff grunt work. Not edifying, not sexy and not goalworthy, but again, I think context helps. I said to my mate at HT that I thought the only way back in was bringing Hudd and Defoe on at the same time for that passing and early ball to a fast striker. Where AVB really got it so right, was in bringing on Holtby to keep the energy in the middle of the park going and in matching up on 4-3-3. having Holtby on with Hudd was the masterstroke.

He didn't have a bad game. He put himself about and contributed in the thankless lone forward role. People are just on his back because Gary Neville made a cheap shot at him.

Yes, Defoe was better to run at tired legs. But I would never start with Defoe against a top team - we'd be on the back foot straight away without that ability to retain possession up the field.

This.
Unless you have Lennon and Bale on the same pitch, when then it could work but even THEN only if Sandro or Hudd are in...

avb did the right thing by having ade start.

the goals came when play opened up in the 2nd half (bale said this in his post match interview) and we were going "long" with holtby and thudd - perfect for defoe and bale to run on to.

siggy, ade, parker all did their part in fighting for every ball, and committing to a high paced first half.

avb deserves alot for his gameplan today. mancini was totally drawn into committing everything into the first half and was totally caught out by AVB's plan B. Their players looked both devastated and exhausted at the end.

Good post.

It was kind of like the infantry did all the hard work before the cavalry strode in for the final rout and the glory.

i dont understand why people just use one game or a small sample to prove a point

not denying that this man is good, but anyone could easily counter the above by pointing to one of the poorer games we have had. or just looked at a game without bale...

It takes a big man to admit you're wrong, even though you hate Defoe, I don't know how anyone can say Ade has been better than him this season.

people are on his back cause he played badly, simple. no where to be seen and not supporting the flank men. you couldn clearly see bale a couple of times gesturing to ade

i dont see how defoe could have been much worse when it looked like we played without a striker for so long of the game, the ball didnt stick up front and it clearly looked like we only had 9 outfield players involved for big spells of the game

i wont deny that the timing of defoe's introduction was essentia but the hold up play cheap shot thing i dont agree with at all

Back