• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dempsey

Seems like an appropriate time to post this beauty:

[video=youtube;JyQxAqYDGL8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyQxAqYDGL8[/video]

I'm with you on the joy and failed hate bit, fantastic player to have and watch. I would be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me that really wanted him back this summer.

AVB is trying to build something a bit different though. For the same reasons Berbatov wasn't able to fit into the United system Ferguson wants I don't think he would have been a good fit for us under AVB.
From what people keep saying about AVB's preferences all the time, I get the impression that he wants players who can run quickly and far, but it doesn't matter much what they actually do with a football. I'm sure this is not entirely accurate. If that is the case, I also fail to see why he signed Dempsey, for example. He is not a quick player, nor is Sigurdsson, although he was perhaps on his way here before AVB was?

I didnt want Dempsey and certainly didnt want Sig simply because I just saw no way how they would fit the team I also didnt particularly rate them - we are allowed not to rate players right?

How I saw Dempsey was a player who scored goals but really only last season in a team that revolved around him. At spurs the team was never going to revolve around him and certainly doesnt justify us revolving the team around him.

At present it feels like we play with 10 men when he is on the pitch and when Sig as well then we are down to nine. Lets be honest here Dempsey was a panic buy as a replacement for VDV but fudge me what the fudge was Levy/AVB seeing because I could have told them that he was no way going to be a creative force. Sig? Levy was sold on the highlights package on MOTD. They may well be capable of much more than they have shown but sometimes its just simply not the right fit and they arent and certainly not creative or pacey enough for the way we are set out to play

So in terms of the vitriol towards Dempsey or Sig its actually unfair and im extremely guilty of that but like Indian said they are victims of our ineptitude in the market. 14m for those two I still cannot fathom it. Its a lot of money when you dont have much in the first place.

I've said it before, and you've said it just now. We have a terrible record at signing the big fish in small pond sort of players:
Murphy
Bent
Bentley
Pienaar
Dempsey

And i'm sure there are a few more i've missed as well. These guys aren't used to playing for a club like us and quickly fade. Its only when they move to a smaller club that they become better.

I've said it before, and you've said it just now. We have a terrible record at signing the big fish in small pond sort of players:
Murphy
Bent
Bentley
Pienaar
Dempsey

And i'm sure there are a few more i've missed as well. These guys aren't used to playing for a club like us and quickly fade. Its only when they move to a smaller club that they become better.

I think that those players fall into different categories and failed for different reasons. The first is decent players who were available cheap, I'd put Murphy, Pienaar and Dempsey in this camp. The second group are players that we played top price for after a hot run of form but returned to type on joining us, step forward Gentle and Bent.

Dempsey is a decent utility player, can play on the left and right but if he gonna play in the centre he needs a forward you can hold up the ball to play off of.

From what people keep saying about AVB's preferences all the time, I get the impression that he wants players who can run quickly and far, but it doesn't matter much what they actually do with a football. I'm sure this is not entirely accurate. If that is the case, I also fail to see why he signed Dempsey, for example. He is not a quick player, nor is Sigurdsson, although he was perhaps on his way here before AVB was?

I think all players we signed this summer were players AVB wanted, regardless of if we were after them before he officially signed or not. All the following obviously just my impression based on what I've seen so far.

He wants more dynamic and athletic players in general, but he also wants players who are good on the ball and he wants those players all over the pitch. Starting at the back. Harry signed Bassong who was quite poor on the ball even for a defender and looked happy with Hutton who was not only all round terrible, but also poor on the ball. He also seemed very satisfied with Dawson, who can play some good long balls, but his close control is far from good. AVB brought in Vertonghen who is excellent on the ball, kept Caulker (also very good on the ball) around and put him ahead of Daws in the pecking order and brought in a goalie who is very good with the ball at his feet.

Further forward he brought in Dembele, we all know what he's capable of with the ball at his feet and of course Adebayor. The only two signings that are being brought into question generally are Dempsey and Sig. Both are at least average to good on the ball (for their position), and they also work really hard for the team. He let Kranjcar and VdV go, both players who ranged from good to great on the ball, but who struggled with fitness issues and weren't exactly reliable defensively.

I think he would have preferred someone even better than Dempsey, as was seen by us bringing him in very late in the window. Moutinho? Willian? I don't know, but I'm guessing he wanted someone who has a bit of everything, but even more skills on the ball. Dempsey came in and is a fairly versatile player who I still think will do a solid job for us.

As far as I can see there is a consistency here, and it's not only players that can run quickly and far without being good on the ball. Again I want to compare us to United where Ferguson often has relied on complete players who can do everything, but also are good on the ball to put together a team that works as a unit, not just a team of individuals. But comparisons could also be made to some other very successful sides.

Murphy
Bent
Bentley
Pienaar
Dempsey

Honestly I'm quite shocked that you would include Dempsey who has around 10 games for us so far in a list where you want to show us having a terrible record.

Moving past that, I don't see why that should guide how AVB buys players. The players you list were signed by other managers or DoFs in other systems playing alongside primarily other players than we have now. There are good buys to be made among the "big fish in a small ponds" in the Premier League, it's about AVB doing a better job than some of his predecessors when picking who to buy.

Honestly I'm quite shocked that you would include Dempsey who has around 10 games for us so far in a list where you want to show us having a terrible record.

Moving past that, I don't see why that should guide how AVB buys players. The players you list were signed by other managers or DoFs in other systems playing alongside primarily other players than we have now. There are good buys to be made among the "big fish in a small ponds" in the Premier League, it's about AVB doing a better job than some of his predecessors when picking who to buy.
I don't necessarily think he wanted Dempsey, I think he was presented with him by Levy and chose to take him on.

I don't necessarily think he wanted Dempsey, I think he was presented with him by Levy and chose to take him on.

I think that it is probably true that Dempsey wasn't tops of AVB's wishlist but we have no way of knowing whether he wanted him or not.

Well, whatever anyone says I'm glad we have him because without him we would not have won at Utd or Soton. Say what you like about tap-ins, kit's those lack of tap-in goals which have hurt us dearly the last couple of seasons...

Dempsey is a decent utility player, can play on the left and right but if he gonna play in the centre he needs a forward you can hold up the ball to play off of.
This.

His asset is his mobility and follow-up play. Think basketball where the defenders are actually attackers; I'm expecting we'll see our best striker pairing to be Dempsey and Ade. Defoe can't play with anyone - not even Rooney.

This.

His asset is his mobility and follow-up play. Think basketball where the defenders are actually attackers; I'm expecting we'll see our best striker pairing to be Dempsey and Ade. Defoe can't play with anyone - not even Rooney.

I though both Sig and Dempsey were great signings but I now think there both awful ones.... Quite simply because they slow us down something chronic.

Dempsey goes backwards more than forwards and has the turning circle of a tank

Siggy seems to be colour blind and doesn't realise our teams colours. He seems scared to shoot until a defender is on top of him. I see a lot more in him than I do Dempsey but his confidence looks shot. I'd rather see us play with 9 men at the moment as at least it would give us room to play. Alternatively give Falque and Carroll games and see what the can do because these two just hinder us badly

My immediate reaction to our 6 signings:

Sigurdsson - pleased
Vertonghen - delighted
Dembele - delighted
Ade - delighted
Lloris - delighted
Dempsey - indifferent

I think most on here felt roughly the same. Dempsey has been poor so far, there's no getting around that but to his credit he has two goals which have earnt us 4 points so far. I feel he's a player that plays as well as the team is playing, rather than someone that can step up and drive the team forward when we're playing badly. All is not lost with him just yet.

Back