• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dempsey

Re: Welcome Dempsey!

he belongs to everton fc!

I don't mean to single you out personally, but...

Just as Falque who by many had been written off stepped it up to a level not previously seen in a Spurs shirt and showed some real promise and that the faith put in him by our manager and his team wasn't as misplaced as some have seemed to make it out a player who has played a grand total of 11 games in total (and 9 starts) for us in all competitions - all of them under a new manager and while some fairly solid changes in the team being made is just written off...

I don't mean to single you out personally, but...

Just as Falque who by many had been written off stepped it up to a level not previously seen in a Spurs shirt and showed some real promise and that the faith put in him by our manager and his team wasn't as misplaced as some have seemed to make it out a player who has played a grand total of 11 games in total (and 9 starts) for us in all competitions - all of them under a new manager and while some fairly solid changes in the team being made is just written off...

I have made no secret that I think we wasted a fair few quid on the likes of Dempsey and Sig IN MY VIEW.

However we are not talking about someone i.e. Dempsey who has never stepped foot in the premier league and he is getting acclimatised we are talking about someone who just looked very good in a team that kind of revolved a lot around him - its typical Bentley syndrome. Small fish in a big pond. Just lacks skill in my opinion. I dont think i have seen any moments where I have gone brilliant... yeah he scored two fairly simple tap ins and they both turned out to be winners but he isnt a first choice starter in my view.

He has definitely done more than Sig has so if AVB is going to persist in this one behind the striker role then rather have dempsey than Sig as atleast Dempsey will come up with a goal every now and again.

I don't think Dempsey or Sig are wasted money at all, when we actually start properly playing the possession game that we seem to be building towards, they will both look a lot better behind a striker that will look to bring them into play.

At the moment we are still trying to play this counter attacking, fast paced style that looks to get a shot at the earliest opportunity, exacerbated by playing Defoe up front by himself. Not a bad thing, because we are playing our squad to it's main strengths while acclimatising them to playing in the formation that they will need to get used to. So Bale and Lennon look really good, and Defoe is taking his chances, but it just doesn't lend itself to Dempsey or Sig - both players much better in a more patient side keeping possession and finding space in crowded areas to attack - so they aren't looking great right now. But that's the nature of transition. Eventually we will be firing and everyone in the team will be contributing. I'm sure of it.

I don't think Dempsey or Sig are wasted money at all, when we actually start properly playing the possession game that we seem to be building towards, they will both look a lot better behind a striker that will look to bring them into play.

At the moment we are still trying to play this counter attacking, fast paced style that looks to get a shot at the earliest opportunity, exacerbated by playing Defoe up front by himself. Not a bad thing, because we are playing our squad to it's main strengths while acclimatising them to playing in the formation that they will need to get used to. So Bale and Lennon look really good, and Defoe is taking his chances, but it just doesn't lend itself to Dempsey or Sig - both players much better in a more patient side keeping possession and finding space in crowded areas to attack - so they aren't looking great right now. But that's the nature of transition. Eventually we will be firing and everyone in the team will be contributing. I'm sure of it.

So why do I hear excuses about how theyre both not playing in their positions? I actually still dont know what their positions are- if its not behind a striker and not LM or RM then where? left back on the bench or changing rooms?

In all honesty maybe im stubborn but I just cant fathom 14m for both of them when I am sure we could have got better - thats why we have scouts etc.

I feel sorry for the Deuce- he didn't have a proper preseason at fulham ( his own fault), and part of it is down to that.

IMO is lacking a bit of confidence. Am wondering if the weight of expectation is getting to him? He was a good player in the way Fulham were set up last season, but he's come in to a team under new management, with a different style of play which is still evolving, to replace a world class talent that was VDV, who played the striker in the hole role so well for us last season working so well with Ade last season.

I'm hoping that if and when Ade gets fit we see a different Deuce because playing with defoe he is struggling (as is sig) and I refuse to believe he has not got it in him to be as influential as he was last season.

I'm really hoping the penalty miss last night doesn't weigh too heavily on him, but you can see from that he's lacking some confidence. Was a poor pen with to be honest hit with not much conviction. Why Bale didn't take it I don't know.

Chin up Deuce, you can do it! COYS

I feel sorry for the Deuce- he didn't have a proper preseason at fulham ( his own fault), and part of it is down to that.

IMO is lacking a bit of confidence. Am wondering if the weight of expectation is getting to him? He was a good player in the way Fulham were set up last season, but he's come in to a team under new management, with a different style of play which is still evolving, to replace a world class talent that was VDV, who played the striker in the hole role so well for us last season working so well with Ade last season.

I'm hoping that if and when Ade gets fit we see a different Deuce because playing with defoe he is struggling (as is sig) and I refuse to believe he has not got it in him to be as influential as he was last season.

I'm really hoping the penalty miss last night doesn't weigh too heavily on him, but you can see from that he's lacking some confidence. Was a poor pen with to be honest hit with not much conviction. Why Bale didn't take it I don't know.

Chin up Deuce, you can do it! COYS

Maybe for that exact reason, to get a bit of confidence up?

So why do I hear excuses about how theyre both not playing in their positions? I actually still dont know what their positions are- if its not behind a striker and not LM or RM then where? left back on the bench or changing rooms?

In all honesty maybe im stubborn but I just cant fathom 14m for both of them when I am sure we could have got better - thats why we have scouts etc.

I would say that them looking lost is 90% down to playing behind Defoe.

I find the current witch hunt pathetic.

I've never particularly love statistics, but they have their place I suppose, and I will now advocate that some people look them up with regards to Saturday's debacle and Dempsey's involvement versus, say, JD's.

I am a JD fan, huge one, but he did nothing on Saturday. Would I have given 4-4-2 a shot? Probably. But in the event, AVB didn't for whatever reason...here's the thing. Dempsey had three shots on Sat, 2 off-target, one on. JD didn't have one on or off. Dempsey scored against Soton, he dug in and gave it some graft (albeit to little effect).

No-one, least of all me, will pretend he had a good game on Saturday. But neither did anyone. Yet Dempsey carries the can and if others are criticized it is blasphemy.

Flame away, not bothered, but before hanging the padlock of hate on your favorite 'donkey' consider the others that were equally, or more, deserving; there were a few.

BTW, they will all get my unwavering support in the coming weeks. I hope they ALL have your during matches too. As someone said, during the match, support works much better...

Why is this not in the other Dempsey thread?

Anyway Dempsey is a nothing player. One thing i hate more then a brick player is an invisible one.

I've said this before - will say it again - I think people have borderline unrealistic expectations of what is essentially slightly above average player with respectable work-rate. He's not Del Piero and never will be - rather someone who offers options/cover in the final third (position deployment-wise) and carries good experience in what is essentially a versatile 3rd striker option

He is what he is - the more he's booed, the less of a chance of him re-gaining some confidence and pulling off some good performances.

However - now that Jenas is (momentarility) gone - a new jester/scape-goat figure is needed so no surprises really.

Why is this not in the other Dempsey thread?

Anyway Dempsey is a nothing player. One thing i hate more then a brick player is an invisible one.

Apologies, let me find the other one or retitle this one: it's more about spacegoating than anything.

Dempsey is a good player, but he doesnt suit us.

Infact ive never seen a player detract from our quick counter attacking football as much as he does.

All he offers the team is goals, he cant pass, and doesnt have a football brain, i'd much rather sigurdsson start at CF.

Says the one who recently pro-claimed himself in the OMT and unbaised and fair poster

:ross: :ross: :ross: :ross:

Sorry what? not rating a player means you can't be unbiased and fair?

a weirdo philosophy from someone that continuously has a go at Friedel yet states the piece of crap goalkeeper known as Vito mannone has performed on the same level as hart and Cech this season..now that calls for a...

:ross::ross::ross::ross:

Dempsey is a decent Prem forward. However signing Berbatov would have been a better choice.

Fulham have done great in acquiring Count Sulkula (who actually looks very fired up and happy with his move to Fulham. No sulking or arm waving so far)

Our team needs some sublime skill and unpredictability to unlock the door in the final third. Berbatov has this in abundance, Dempsey does not. Bad move AVB and Levy

and by the way, i dont see any witch hunt against Dempsey. The boos were because we needed a goal on Saturday and took off our top scorer. makes no sense whatsoever

He seems to put the effort in, he just aint good enough if we want to be a top 4 team

The thing i find hard to take is the fact we replaced VDV for him, VDV wasn't perfect by any stretch but a class above the likes of Dempsey

Sigaurdson is my biggest problem. He offers absolutely nothing.

It's Sigurdsson ;) - but I tend to agree with this sentiment - out of those 2 Dempsey has offered slightly more and chipped in with a couple of goals.

Last edited:
Dempsey hasn't been good enough. It's not a witch hunt, it's just the truth in my eyes. Defoe and Dempsey are a huge part of the current issue we have, in that neither are particularly ball hungry players who get on the ball much. Ade whilst he might not be a great finisher by any stretch, he is always involved. That, when compared to JD feels like we have an extra player on the park. Now Dempsey is similar to JD in that respect. They both can score goals. BUT, to the detriment of the overall play.

If you compare Ade and VdV (2 ball hungry players, always looking to be involved) with Dempsey and Defoe (2 goal scorers but offer little else), you can start to see why we don't hold the ball as much. Whilst Dembele remains out we of course lose a bit in midfield, but overall the top 2 are KEY issues in our current failure to dictate the play.

It's Sugurdsson ;) - but I tend to agree with this sentiment - out of those 2 Dempsey has offered slightly more and chipped in with a couple of goals.

Referring to my other post, Sig is in a funk right now, but he is a ball player. He wants to get on the ball and that at least gives us more in possession

Dempsey hasn't been good enough. It's not a witch hunt, it's just the truth in my eyes. Defoe and Dempsey are a huge part of the current issue we have, in that neither are particularly ball hungry players who get on the ball much. Ade whilst he might not be a great finisher by any stretch, he is always involved. That, when compared to JD feels like we have an extra player on the park. Now Dempsey is similar to JD in that respect. They both can score goals. BUT, to the detriment of the overall play.

If you compare Ade and VdV (2 ball hungry players, always looking to be involved) with Dempsey and Defoe (2 goal scorers but offer little else), you can start to see why we don't hold the ball as much. Whilst Dembele remains out we of course lose a bit in midfield, but overall the top 2 are KEY issues in our current failure to dictate the play.

I think the meat of what you're saying re: dempsey anyway, is bang-on, but for all the clamour for Adebayor, he hasn't been fudging interested! As for VdV, comparing Dempsey to him is unfair really. I really think it's worth looking at Dempsey's stats last weekend. he was invoved. He just wan't very good. Indeed, he was more involved than Sig, who I am abasolutely hoping will turn good soon. It's a lack of confidence, yes, but there's something else not clicking right now. Of course I wouldn't coat him any more than anyone else TBH...

I think the reality is that for 3 years, Luka Modric was integral to everything we did, and we are only just waking up to it...that is not Dempsey's problem.

He seems to put the effort in, he just aint good enough if we want to be a top 4 team

The thing i find hard to take is the fact we replaced VDV for him, VDV wasn't perfect by any stretch but a class above the likes of Dempsey

I always saw Sig as his replacement, problem is, he hasn't stepped up yet (there's still time I suppose, he gets my support)...

Back