• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Rose

To be fair, he was poor, and has been developed to become outstanding. Obviously McDermott and co saw the potential that others couldn't. But he was genuinely poor for quite a long time, and not just disliked for random non-footballing reasons (Timmeh-associations?), like seemed to be the case with Bentaleb.

I thought he excelled on at Sunderland and I saw enough in him to believe he would come good.

Now I am not saying I always get things right but I honestly think we should give our players more support, more of a chance to prove themselves before we write them off

I thought he excelled on at Sunderland and I saw enough in him to believe he would come good.

Now I am not saying I always get things right but I honestly think we should give our players more support, more of a chance to prove themselves before we write them off

It's a lesson learned. But I don't think many coaches are quite as able to turn whole careers around so fundamentally as Poch has done with Rose and Dembele.

I have banged on about this to anyone who would listen. Poch has undoubtedly improved him, but he had already shown massive growth in his play prior to his arrival.

At Sunderland he was excellent and for 2 months under AVB he looked really really strong before injury. He has talent and the club saw it.

He was firmly a fan spacegoat and it took a whole year of top draw performances to get a grudging respect from most fans before the tide really turned. Poch has been massive for him but the notion that he was brick before is wrong

I agree, Rose came in for unfair criticism early on but he always had potential and showed it in our colors and for Sunderland long before Poch arrived here - he's continued his development under Poch of course but it's not a case of him turning water in to wine

It's a lesson learned. But I don't think many coaches are quite as able to turn whole careers around so fundamentally as Poch has done with Rose and Dembele.
I thought it was always clear that Rose would become an excellent full back. He put in some excellent performances very soon after moving to fullback under Redknapp, also put in very good performances under AVB and also Sherwood, as well as being Sunderland's best player when on loan there for a season. He has gained consistency (as you would expect from a player as he gets nearer to his peak) but was always a good player (just as Dembele was).

I remember the utter venom that was unleashed on this thread when he was offered his last contract and being one of the very small number o fans on here saying this was a good decision. Now he is loved by one and all, how things have changed :)
There are a select few of us who know our stuff mate ;)

The club is being very proactive in signing up our talent. I think it is a great policy which will protect us somewhat from players being poached.

Well done Danny.

Smart from the club, also shows we are looking at continuity/youth to be our advantage vs. trying to outbuy (which we can't) others

I remember the utter venom that was unleashed on this thread when he was offered his last contract and being one of the very small number o fans on here saying this was a good decision. Now he is loved by one and all, how things have changed :)

Yeah, poor basterd still doesn't have a twitter account due to closing it after that mess.

I will put up my hand and say when we started a games with him on left and Naughton on right, I thought we were going to lose ... how times have changed

To be fair, he was poor, and has been developed to become outstanding. Obviously McDermott and co saw the potential that others couldn't. But he was genuinely poor for quite a long time, and not just disliked for random non-footballing reasons (Timmeh-associations?), like seemed to be the case with Bentaleb.
He was never ever poor.... and the potential was always pretty clear. Although I agree that certain people disliked him for random non-footballing reasons (I am replying to one right now I think ;))

I agree with the part about giving our players support, there was a time when we had players who clearly not "good enough" footballers, I think our squad is full of quality players. Will they all make it with us? maybe not, but they deserve backing, especially when/if Poch & team believe in them. Probably a lesson in there for the people on this board who seem determined to label Janssen as the "next Soldado".

Re you & @Finney Is Back believing the potential in Danny was clear, maybe you guys saw it (I didn't watch him for Sunderland), I know I didn't and neither did a lot of people. A lot of revisionist history, most people though he wouldn't make it with us, then if he did make it, he would be a LW because his defending was so bad/clumsy.

Soo great to see Danny, Dembele, Lamela be given the time, trust and coaching to make the next step and prove core members of the team.

Good news, and i hold my hands up and say that i never expected him to improve as much as he has done.

I don't usually judge a player so quickly but he has turned into a very good player. I learnt my lesson years ago with a certain Chris Waddle who on seeing him for the first few games i stupidly said he was rubbish. Well he taught when he turned into the best winger we have had here ( imo).

Good news, and i hold my hands up and say that i never expected him to improve as much as he has done.

I don't usually judge a player so quickly but he has turned into a very good player. I learnt my lesson years ago with a certain Chris Waddle who on seeing him for the first few games i stupidly said he was rubbish. Well he taught when he turned into the best winger we have had here ( imo).

:eek:....:D

Ahem.... from December 2012 (sorry parklane1!)

I do not rate him at all as a FB, the only way we should keep him if he is used as a back up flank player.
I disagree massively. I think he looks tailor made to be a good left back.... Quick enough, strong enough and good enough on the ball, can beat a player on the outside and seems to have good delivery with his left foot. I don't think he is quite good enough at receiving the ball in tight spaces or dynamic enough to be a really effective left winger, but as he is gradually learning to defend properly with more and more games at left back he is looking better and better. I would leave him at Sunderland for the whole season and then by next season I think we'll have a genuine alternative option to Ekotto.

Ahem.... from December 2012 (sorry parklane1!)

No probs, i have already said he has made strides that i thought he would never make. But you know what during my working life nothing pleased me more when a player improved faster/better then we/coaches thought he would. It just goes to show that you can have all the black boxes you want but there is no replacment for good coaching and it shows he has recieved that here.

I think Rose always had something about him, and as others have said pre-poch.

But what has changed and this could well be down to Poch, is Danny has put a lid on the angry little man syndrome and has maybe directed that energy into his already energetic style. He doesn't get riled or offended by next to nothing anymore.

(except against Chelsea of course....where he is welcome to flip the lid off)

I think Rose always had something about him, and as others have said pre-poch.

But what has changed and this could well be down to Poch, is Danny has put a lid on the angry little man syndrome and has maybe directed that energy into his already energetic style. He doesn't get riled or offended by next to nothing anymore.

(except against Chelsea of course....where he is welcome to flip the lid off)

That is a good point, one of my doubts about him was that he seemed to be a red card waiting to happen. Thankfully he has got a handle on that now.

I just went back and read the first six or seven pages of this thread. Jesus.

Back