• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

Stephen Warnock (average player, decent pundit) ripped him apart on Sky Sports this morning. Said he was at the game, watched Romero closely and couldn’t believe his lack of discipline. Said at one point Mason was screaming at him to get back - according to Warnock “he looked like he was playing centre forward” - at which point Romero walked almost the entire length of the pitch back to his position. He claims Mason put his hands on his hips, looked at the ground and shook his head.

For what it’s worth, he said he reckons Kane will stay with us.
I guess this is what Romero does... probably when he's playing as one of three CBs (I don't recall him going on expeditions during the WC... as often). The problem is that when he moves forward, the front line don't seem to use him except as a decoy (and a poor one at that). That one cross he flung himself at was just about one of the only times I've seen him being given any service to attack.

I'm fine with one of the wide CBs pushing up at any given moment when we're in possession as we really shouldn't need 3 CBs just hanging back waiting for a turnover. Usually, you'd leave your fastest CBs behind as they can recover quickly if we lose possession. I know that maybe Romero is asking a lot of Dier when leaving him behind, but we really need to be more of a front-foot type team mentally as well as in practice. We seem too content to concede time and space to our opponents, and I believe Romero pushing up is partly an effort to be more proactive and to actually contribute to our offensive output.
Again, I want to repeat that I have no problem with him doing so but he needs to be reading the game and be intelligent about the moments when he decides to push forward.

A nice throughball to Son for Son's goal.
A crazy lunge in the box to give away the pen, although Dier was more at fault for stumbling out of position.
Dier wasn’t at fault for that pen
Dier pressed the man who the pass was for
Dier was brick but Romero has been as poor

I'm more and more convinced that it's the likes of Romero that Conte was referring to in terms of being "selfish" and not "thinking of the team".
As others have said, he's often been shocking since the World Cup and continually compounds the other nonsense in our backline.

Can be sublime with passes though

I'm more and more convinced that it's the likes of Romero that Conte was referring to in terms of being "selfish" and not "thinking of the team".
As others have said, he's often been shocking since the World Cup and continually compounds the other nonsense in our backline.

Can be sublime with passes though
He was brick at the world cup aswell, regardless if if they won it.

I've often wondered whether he was referring to Kane. There's lot of times when kane should pass it, however Conte would never criticise him in public

But if Romero doesn’t slice through him
No penalty
Dier tried to put the pressure onto pool who were cantering through the midfield
But a challenge had to be made. He got it wrong but getting it wrong doesn't automatically make the play awful. If he hadn't gone for the tackle he had a clear shot on goal.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

I've often wondered whether he was referring to Kane. There's lot of times when kane should pass it, however Conte would never criticise him in public

I don't think it was one particular player, even harry said it after the Liverpool game, they are not playing as a team.
Its probably not a conscious thing, maybe don't realise they are doing it, they think "well I'm doing my best" and looking after themselves, not making the best decisions for the team.

Just stand him up
Romero so now becoming his own meme
Hmm maybe he could have stood him up but Gakpo was going in the opposite direction to Romero. If he had just stood there the likelihood is Gakpo would have just waltzed past him with a clear shot at goal. Have another watch at it and honestly trying to steal the ball as he did is probably the only option that had any chance of success and even that was low probability. The problem comes from the space Dier vacates being instantly occupied by Gakpo.

Hmm maybe he could have stood him up but Gakpo was going in the opposite direction to Romero. If he had just stood there the likelihood is Gakpo would have just waltzed past him with a clear shot at goal. Have another watch at it and honestly trying to steal the ball as he did is probably the only option that had any chance of success and even that was low probability. The problem comes from the space Dier vacates being instantly occupied by Gakpo.

Dier is brick
I get that
Buy Dier did his job going to the man the ball was for (salah) and cleaning him out (that was foul)
Romero got himself caught out, and not for the fri at time, so tried a scissor tackle
The guys daft at times and this was one of those imo
I’d like to see his role flipped next season
If we stick with 3 cbs, he okays centrally and the aggressive role. His passing is very very good and it’s exactly how played at Atlanta
We could then have 5 in front of him and the cbs (2 attacking wing backs, 2 midfielders and a creative one, possibly kulu for example). That was we mirror the system we played the se wind halves vs pool and united where we press and are on the front foot

i also think it suits our more expensive and better players. The former being important as they cost a lot and we won’t get it back. The latter because it’s potentially very affective

Back