• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

I dont think people are saying 'he is rubbish", they're saying his performances have been.

My point was that he has been also been performing below par and there have been no comments, but Sanchez has been ripped apart.

I dont think people are saying 'he is rubbish", they're saying his performances have been.

My point was that he has been also been performing below par and there have been no comments, but Sanchez has been ripped apart.

Fair point, however i think most (if not all) our players have been in the same boat. Romero is a top player and when he first came here he gave us performances that none of our CB"s have shown since the days of Jan and Toby.

He is not top tier. To be a top tier defender you have to have a good football brain defensively. He is way too inconsistent, too rash, and to be quite frank too dumb too often to be considered top tier/top class or whatever. He has a hell of a lot of maturing to do before he is top level. The occasional thunderous challenge, good pass etc does not change this....

I don't think you are lauded as the best defender in Serie A for occasional thunderous challenges or good passes.

I don't think you are lauded as the best defender in Serie A for occasional thunderous challenges or good passes.
Serie A is a completely different pace to the PL. No one is saying he doesn't have the talent. He can be good, very good - but world class/top tier or whatever else a few have chosen to label him? No chance, he is not there yet. One day perhaps, but he has to sort out his erratic behaviour and become more consistent to be considered genuinely top class....

Serie A is a completely different pace to the PL. No one is saying he doesn't have the talent. He can be good, very good - but world class/top tier or whatever else a few have chosen to label him? No chance, he is not there yet. One day perhaps, but he has to sort out his erratic behaviour and become more consistent to be considered genuinely top class....
Thankfully, he has time on his side.

Thing is, no one is saying that he's been amazing the last few games. We all seem to agree that he's been pretty bad. Sanchez unfortunately has had to deal with the worst of fan reactions hearing actual boos in a stadium. People venting on a forum are a bit different, although again, I think most sensible posters here agree with the sentiment that all players should be treated fairly.

This isn't unique to Romero though. Dier went through some lengthy spells of being decidedly dogbrick and has escaped criticism this season.

Back to Romero... I did mention that winning the WC could be detrimental to his mentality. Maybe the real issue is that he doesn't see Spurs as a realistic candidate to win something, but IMO he is still a winner surrounded by sub-par players. He's definitely not a leader, especially when his English is not good.

He needs a coach to teach him the right times to press and be strict with how far he goes. At one point he was the furthest forward, United hit us on the break and he took an age to get back, then Harry Kane had a pop at him and told him to get back. I feel he could do a job in the CDM role.

He needs a coach to teach him the right times to press and be strict with how far he goes. At one point he was the furthest forward, United hit us on the break and he took an age to get back, then Harry Kane had a pop at him and told him to get back. I feel he could do a job in the CDM role.

Here's the weird thing, those stats are great, but as you said still some issues, for me watching the game

- His vulnerability is in the air (worse part of his game)
- Agreed on the time he takes to get back when he moves forward

Here's the weird thing, those stats are great, but as you said still some issues, for me watching the game

- His vulnerability is in the air (worse part of his game)
- Agreed on the time he takes to get back when he moves forward
Stats don’t always tell the whole story in cases like that, this is why I don’t like getting involved in discussions about a players performance when peoples view are clouded by statistics. It doesn’t say anything there about him pretty much marking Porro for their first goal.

Sure, his stats were fine last night but overall, I thought Romero had a good game yesterday. Again, not perfect, but I think we play better when he pushes forward and gets involved in the build-up play. He would be great as a DM as I've mentioned before.
PEH and Skipp were too safe with their passing but Romero has no problem making simple vertical passes to our forward line. I get that Romero is facing forward so he has a better understanding of what's in front of him instead of having to turn, but he's still executing those longer passes on the ground without giving the ball away often.
Made some decent interceptions too, so overall not too bad IMO. BTW, Dier got caught up the pitch as well and was lightly jogging back in a dangerous situation.

Finally, the commentator said that Romero would be getting a card as it was his birthday which actually did make me laugh, but I was surprised to see he didn't.

Do you think he will be ok in a back 4 if that's what the new manager wants? I think he is going to need a really specific kind of player to compliment his style of play.

Do you think he will be ok in a back 4 if that's what the new manager wants? I think he is going to need a really specific kind of player to compliment his style of play.

Yes, he plays in a back 4 for Argentina I believe partnering Otamendi.

I think his ideal CB partner would be dominant in the air and be a leader so that he talks to Romero. Otamendi for example does that.

Yes, he plays in a back 4 for Argentina I believe partnering Otamendi.

I think his ideal CB partner would be dominant in the air and be a leader so that he talks to Romero. Otamendi for example does that.
But Argentina’s weakness is their defence.

He's a good player but I don't mind selling him to fund a rebuild. A solid and reliable defence is going to help us lots.

He's a good player but I don't mind selling him to fund a rebuild. A solid and reliable defence is going to help us lots.

And you would buy what, 4 CB's in one window?

Out -> Dier, Sanchez, Rodon, Tanganga
Keep -> Romero, Davies, Lenglet
Buy -> one top level CB, one veteran CB, perhaps even one youngster with promise

4 is too much to change in one window

We saw the best and the worst of him yesterday, but he is going to be a wonderful player for us once he has a coach and direction to invest in. First-half he was overall poooor. Second-half, a vital part of the comeback. We have to find a young, aggressive LCB to play alongside him!

We saw the best and the worst of him yesterday, but he is going to be a wonderful player for us once he has a coach and direction to invest in. First-half he was overall poooor. Second-half, a vital part of the comeback. We have to find a young, aggressive LCB to play alongside him!

Assuming a 4 at the back?

And you would buy what, 4 CB's in one window?

Out -> Dier, Sanchez, Rodon, Tanganga
Keep -> Romero, Davies, Lenglet
Buy -> one top level CB, one veteran CB, perhaps even one youngster with promise

4 is too much to change in one window
Keep Romero, Davies, Lenglet, buy one WC CB, and use the youth team if necessary? Emerson at LCB too?

Stephen Warnock (average player, decent pundit) ripped him apart on Sky Sports this morning. Said he was at the game, watched Romero closely and couldn’t believe his lack of discipline. Said at one point Mason was screaming at him to get back - according to Warnock “he looked like he was playing centre forward” - at which point Romero walked almost the entire length of the pitch back to his position. He claims Mason put his hands on his hips, looked at the ground and shook his head.

For what it’s worth, he said he reckons Kane will stay with us.

Back