• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

I think Romero made a rep for himself at the WC and has been targeted by English refs since - defo needs a manager who can get him under control still but some of those cards have been harsh.

Hell of a team, Harry in sticks?
No keeper.

It's 3-5-3

Narrow back three of:
Ramos, Pepe, Macherano

Five "across" the middle:
David's, Gattusso, Vidal, Vieira, Keane.

A fluid three up top of:
Cantona, Rooney and Ibra.

Don't need a keeper, the opposition will be too scared to shoot.
It'll be 5a side by half time - for very different reasons either side!

I'm interested as to why nobody is discussing the recent performances of our World Cup Winner, particularly when so much vitriol was directed at Sanchez.

I was at the Bournemouth game and he was dreadful. Particularly in the first half when he repeatedly played lazy and sloppy passes straight to the opposition, and on one occasion tried to do a Cruyff turn on our byline offering it straight to a Bournemouth player.

Today, listening on the radio, it sounded that again he was dreadful, lazy and seemingly uninterested.

I'm interested as to why nobody is discussing the recent performances of our World Cup Winner, particularly when so much vitriol was directed at Sanchez.

I was at the Bournemouth game and he was dreadful. Particularly in the first half when he repeatedly played lazy and sloppy passes straight to the opposition, and on one occasion tried to do a Cruyff turn on our byline offering it straight to a Bournemouth player.

Today, listening on the radio, it sounded that again he was dreadful, lazy and seemingly uninterested.
Too busy blaming the usual suspects

Judge him and others (all others) once we have a manager and system in place.

Romero has the ingredients to be a top CB. A number of the squad dont have the capabilities to be a starter in a team which wants to challenge

We need a manager who installs a sensible system first

Judge him and others (all others) once we have a manager and system in place.

Romero has the ingredients to be a top CB. A number of the squad dont have the capabilities to be a starter in a team which wants to challenge

We need a manager who installs a sensible system first

I don't disagree. However, the Sanchez thread is getting smashed with comments, yet nobody is discussing how poor Romero has been both in performance and attitude.

Reminds me a bit of the Vertonghen situation pre Poch. Clearly a talented player but playing well below their ability and looking seemingly disinterested. I think with the right manager we’ve got a quality player but he’s clearly not a leader of men.

The truth is he’s been disrespectful to this club all season. His focus up until November was on the World Cup and since then he’s looked only half-interested.
We’re carrying a lot of passengers among our regulars. Romero is one of them.

Perhaps. However:
1. The world cup was massive for argentina as Messi's swansong. Its inevitable that would have distracted lots of Argies
2. Playing at Spurs this season in a system where every tiny detail is scripted but is also defensive and unexciting can't be fun as a player. OK, they're being paid a lot to do something which is a hobby for most, but I can't imagine that players were looking forward to training

Agree though that his performances could be way better than they have been

Reminds me a bit of the Vertonghen situation pre Poch. Clearly a talented player but playing well below their ability and looking seemingly disinterested. I think with the right manager we’ve got a quality player but he’s clearly not a leader of men.

Thing is, Romero is not a system defender, his real qualities are, 1/usually doesn't panic, 2/he acts on instinct, he goes out and shuts down attackers way out 3/He makes you know you are in a physical battle.

He's top tier, but he's the kind of player you build around, have another smarter reader of the game that will cover, have someone in back line better in the air (a weakness we have had as a back line for years)

Thing is, Romero is not a system defender, his real qualities are, 1/usually doesn't panic, 2/he acts on instinct, he goes out and shuts down attackers way out 3/He makes you know you are in a physical battle.

He's top tier, but he's the kind of player you build around, have another smarter reader of the game that will cover, have someone in back line better in the air (a weakness we have had as a back line for years)
Ledley King you say?….. if only!

He is not top tier. To be a top tier defender you have to have a good football brain defensively. He is way too inconsistent, too rash, and to be quite frank too dumb too often to be considered top tier/top class or whatever. He has a hell of a lot of maturing to do before he is top level. The occasional thunderous challenge, good pass etc does not change this....

He is not top tier. To be a top tier defender you have to have a good football brain defensively. He is way too inconsistent, too rash, and to be quite frank too dumb too often to be considered top tier/top class or whatever. He has a hell of a lot of maturing to do before he is top level. The occasional thunderous challenge, good pass etc does not change this....

Go watch him live, seriously.

The amount of interceptions, early shutdowns, the amount of time he kills an attack is top tier. When he has the ball, he can literally stand on it and attackers won't press, that's the opposition telling you something (vs. say Dier)

Yes, he is too rash (a 24 year old CB), yes he's probably not the leader, but he is an extremely good footballer

Sorry, but I have been on to him for some time now. I said a long ago that he thinks he's Billy Big gonads because he fluked a World Cup Winner's medal. He is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. One of the most overrated players in the EPL.

I will wait and see how he settles next season once we have a new manager and a set up that does not seem to be thrown together. Always amazes how so many fans right off players so soon. The guy has ability.
I don't think anyone has written him off, the ability is there for all to see. That doesn't change the fact that he has been poor for a lot of this season.
He still has a lot of learning to do.

I don't think anyone has written him off, the ability is there for all to see. That doesn't change the fact that he has been poor for a lot of this season.
He still has a lot of learning to do.

Do not disagree with you at all, but my point is that he was acclaimed by many when he first came in and now he is rubbish to some of the same fans. Madness. imo

Back