• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

possession based may be the wrong term, what I mean is that we need to improve our performances against teams which defend against us - the bulk of our games over the course of a season opponents will set themselves out to stifle us/defend deep - in these games we have the lions share of possession but often lack the nous to do anything with it. as United have proven it's these games which win you titles and as last season proved under AVB it's these which cause us the most problems

Benteke has a great workrate, he's a presence, he's a beast. Paulinho in an advanced role is a technical beast with an eye for goal and can slip a great pass in there too. Bale is Bale. Lennon, when fit and flying, is a tremendous attacking asset. With a platform of Sandro and Dembele plus defenders like Verts who can also spot a pass, I think it's safe to say we will be able to find a way past 10 men behind the ball. Frankly, if Ade had been more engaged to prove himself as ready for the 'lead' role as he was the last few games of the season, we'd have done it with more ease last season IMHO, and that was with Parker as Sandro's replacement.

The thing to remember with Benteke right now as well is that 25 might be on the higher side but we will not be forking out 100-120k a week in wages, thus saving a couple mill on that end.

I would absolutely 100% gamble on him. 100%. I think he has it all in his locker.

that would be a big improvement on last seasons Ade, 10 goals instead of Ade's 5..........could be the difference between CL or not

I said he will not get close to 10 and Ade's performance last season should not be the benchmark for what we are looking for in a striker

Reports indicate Aston Villa want the Christian Benteke situation solved by the end of the month. Sold or kept. #THFC

At least it'll be ended by the month if true and not drag out through the transfer window.

Please can you credit sources (and where possible include links) when you are copying or rehashing from elsewhere.

its funny how not one person here mentioned Benteke last summer when he moved from Genk

its funny how not one person here mentioned Benteke last summer when he moved from Genk

Not really.

I personally did not watch any of Genk's games and had no idea about him whatsoever. I don't play Championship Manager or any video games which might throw these names in my direction, and I am not a scout.

Is it still OK to like him as a player now?!

Not really.

I personally did not watch any of Genk's games and had no idea about him whatsoever. I don't play Championship Manager or any video games which might throw these names in my direction, and I am not a scout.

I expect Mumorn watched all of his games when he was at Genk

In Evening Standard tonight, the bit on bold made me chuckle

Christian Benteke’s agent today told Chelsea they have as much chance of signing the Aston Villa striker as a team playing in Belgium’s seventh division.

The Blues had hoped to beat Tottenham to Benteke, but the Belgium international has no interest in joining Jose Mourinho at Stamford Bridge.

His representative Eris Kismet has given a damning assessment of Chelsea’s pursuit by saying the probability of the 22-year-old joining them is the same likelihood “that Christian would go to Turkse Rangers”.

Turkse play in the seventh tier of Belgium football and are regarded as an amateur outfit

It means Spurs are now strong favourites to sign Benteke, although they have still to make a bid. The former Genk forward, who scored 23 goals for Villa last season, told manager Paul Lambert at the weekend he wanted to quit.

Standard Sport understands Benteke has been aware of interest from the two London clubs for some time, but has his heart set on a move to White Hart Lane.

He is more confident of playing regularly at Spurs, which is crucial with the World Cup in Brazil next year. It is believed Benteke fears Chelsea will sign another forward, even if he was to make the switch to west London.

There is also a suspicion that Chelsea see him as a last resort, having already missed out on a number of forwards this summer, including Radamel Falcao, Edinson Cavani and Robert Lewandowski.

New manager Mourinho is running out of options to strengthen his frontline, although he continues to be linked with Luis Suarez and Wayne Rooney.

Liverpool do not want to sell Suarez, but the Uruguay international is favouring a move abroad with Real Madrid his likely destination.

Significantly he dismissed the speculation regarding the Blues by saying: “Friends call me up to ask if I am moving to Chelsea, to which I laugh.”

Manchester United continue to insist Rooney is not for sale and will not want to strengthen one of their Premier League rivals. It means much-maligned striker Fernando Torres, who scored a personal best of 22 goals for the club last season, will stay in west London.

But even though Spurs are now in pole position to buy Benteke, there are no guarantees a deal will be reached. Aston Villa are demanding £25million, which is £8m higher than Spurs’ club record signing Paulinho, who joined from Corinthians this month. Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is a tough negotiator and the fact Benteke (above) has handed in an official transfer request means he will look to get him cheaper.

As Standard Sport revealed yesterday, Levy had switched his attention from Barcelona striker David Villa, who is now joining Atletico Madrid, because he feels Benteke will be a better investment and cost half as much in wages with a deal in the region of £70,000-a-week.

Villa are determined not to sell him for less than £25m and are not keen on any players coming in the opposite direction as part of a deal.

But Tottenham look set to make room for him as Emmanuel Adebayor is thought to be about to seal a £5m move to Turkish club Besiktas.

Spurs are in talks with FC Twente over Nacer Chadli, having bid £6m for the Belgium winger.

Not really.

:ross: on form I see steff.

Benteke has a great workrate, he's a presence, he's a beast. Paulinho in an advanced role is a technical beast with an eye for goal and can slip a great pass in there too. Bale is Bale. Lennon, when fit and flying, is a tremendous attacking asset. With a platform of Sandro and Dembele plus defenders like Verts who can also spot a pass, I think it's safe to say we will be able to find a way past 10 men behind the ball. Frankly, if Ade had been more engaged to prove himself as ready for the 'lead' role as he was the last few games of the season, we'd have done it with more ease last season IMHO, and that was with Parker as Sandro's replacement.

The thing to remember with Benteke right now as well is that 25 might be on the higher side but we will not be forking out 100-120k a week in wages, thus saving a couple mill on that end.

I would absolutely 100% gamble on him. 100%. I think he has it all in his locker.

loving this post.....out of interest steff who else do you think we should be in for.

The fact that he's so adamant he won't join Chelski is refreshingly pleasing to read. He obviously cares about his development and would obviously prefer to play than just collect a cheque and sit on the bench.

The fact that he's so adamant he won't join Chelski is refreshingly pleasing to read. He obviously cares about his development and would obviously prefer to play than just collect a cheque and sit on the bench.

I just think if we did sign him the same as whats happening at Villa could happen to us next summer, wouldnt mind him though, bentekkers is a player

Yes, but equally he is trying to force a move from Villa one year after joining them, having already made a 'come and get me' plea to Arsenal in January, a mere four months after joining them.

I would treat what he says with caution, especially when considering his potential resale value and effect on the squad should he try to force an exit later on.

I just think if we did sign him the same as whats happening at Villa could happen to us next summer, wouldnt mind him though, bentekkers is a player

If it does happen to us it would mean he probably had a storming season and we'd be selling for more then the 25m we paid. Obviously it's a risk but he's an awesome player imo.

If it does happen to us it would mean he probably had a storming season and we'd be selling for more then the 25m we paid. Obviously it's a risk but he's an awesome player imo.

True, the Chelsea quote from his agent did make me crack up though

It's very interesting to read on here how many people think that we need a Drogba style forward to play a 4-3-3, when actually the reverse is true. That's if we truly are looking to play a 4-3-3 and not a 4-5-1. We need more of an Aguero, Eto'o up front than a Drogba if we play 4-3-3. We need a forward who has a lot of pace, can beat a man in a dribble to get through on goal, have accurate long shooting when not much else is on and one who is very good at running onto diagonal through balls from the two inside forwards.

Drogba was a great player, but I don't think he is the style of player that AVB is seeking as his forward. Unless we do intend to play more negatively sit deeper and have that significant gap between the midfield and the forward.

First and foremost, we need someone who can score goals, Benteke showed he can last season. If we do get Benteke then our team will closely resemble Mourinho's Chelsea:

Sandro
(Makelele)
Paulinho ---- Dembele
(Lampard) --- (Essien)
Bale ------------- ???????
(Robben) ------- (Duff/Cole)
Benteke
(Drogba)​

First and foremost, we need someone who can score goals, Benteke showed he can last season. If we do get Benteke then our team will closely resemble Mourinho's Chelsea:

Sandro
(Makelele)
Paulinho ---- Dembele
(Lampard) --- (Essien)
Bale ------------- ???????
(Robben) ------- (Duff/Cole)
Benteke
(Drogba)​

Our matches versus Chelsea will either be the most dull or the most insane matches this season. either ninety minutes of grim, relentless scrapping, or two hours of breathless back and forth football.

Lets just hope Sandro plays more like Makelele and less like the Essien we've seen the past 2 years.

Our matches versus Chelsea will either be the most dull or the most insane matches this season. either ninety minutes of grim, relentless scrapping, or two hours of breathless back and forth football.

It's funny because with Mata, Oscar and Hazard, they'll be the more pleasing on the eye team, whereas we'll be the strong, powerful, direct and hopefully solid side. A role reversal from years gone by.

Back