• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

For me he's definitely not worth the money being quoted and most likely not the hassle either.

This. The kind of money they're quoting would be right if he were consistently proven, but in no way accounts for the massive risk in signing him.

I rather take a risk on Austin at 4m with a dodgy shoulder than pay 25m for Benteke, no more than 15m for him.

wow, judging by the reaction here id say that if Spurs do sign him for 25 mill and he doesnt quite live up to expectations, the knives will be out very quickly :lol:

This. The kind of money they're quoting would be right if he were consistently proven, but in no way accounts for the massive risk in signing him.

how about when Chelsea took when they signed Drogba for 24 mill way back in 2004 after he had 2 good seasons in the French league? Plus Drogba was 26

id say that if Benteke had 3 good seasons in the PL, was consistently proven as you say, then he would be in the 40-50 mill bracket. Would he be any more certain to be a success at Spurs then? would you pay 40-50 mill on the back of 3 good seasons?

what is the bigger risk....25 mill for one PL season wonder Benteke who is 22 years old, or lets say 25 mill for 3-4 La Liga season wonder Robert Soladado who is 28 years old.

So answer the questions - Who do you suggest we sign and how much do you suggest we sign them for?

I thought I did in the post when saying Soldado for similar money - 22-25M I'd you believe the press. I'm not sayin this fits in with Levy's transfer policy but strictly in terms of improving the team and crashing the top for this would be my preference. Also less of a gamble money wise IMV. In terms of other targets nobody new but I'd rather:
c 15-17m on Michu
c 7-9m on Vucinic
c 20m on Negredo
But basically really don't rate Benteke or Damiao. The Michael R reference was more down to Benetke being last season's possible one season wonder. I see nothing other than him being a big lump to suggest he'll progress into a top class player and also (without getting into the whole nostalgia versus sucess debate) I don't think he fits the bill as a spurs style player, or the player we need, we do need some guile up front. Hell I'd rather have P. Cisse for what I'd imagine would be considerably less!

If Levy, AVB & Baldini decide £25m is good business for Benteke, then I'm happy for us to sign him for £25m.

Worst case he's brick, and we sell him for £10m next year. We can afford that.
Best case he's absolutely brilliant, and we sell him to Barca for £40m in three years, after establishing ourselves in the CL and challenging for the title regularly.

how about when Chelsea took when they signed Drogba for 24 mill way back in 2004 after he had 2 good seasons in the French league? Plus Drogba was 26

id say that if Benteke had 3 good seasons in the PL, was consistently proven as you say, then he would be in the 40-50 mill bracket. Would he be any more certain to be a success at Spurs then? would you pay 40-50 mill on the back of 3 good seasons?

what is the bigger risk....25 mill for one PL season wonder Benteke who is 22 years old, or lets say 25 mill for 3-4 La Liga season wonder Robert Soladado who is 28 years old.

Chelsea bank rolled by a sugar daddy owner can obviously take risks that we can't. 25mil for a player off the back of one season in the prem is out right lunacy - the rumored price for Higuain, a player proven over many seasons, is more or less the same ffs

Yeah. You also have to consider a player's attributes. What has he demonstrated?

Power? Yep
Pace? Yep
Strength? Yep
Work-rate? Yep
Aggression? Yep
Movement? Yep
Eye for goal? Yep

All those attributes will still be there guaranteed next season. The only ones that aren't guaranteed are:

Confidence
Happiness etc

Obviously these can have a big influence on the raw attributes, but we have a really solid squad unity, a couple of Belgians in the team already. We have a good coaching set up and excellent facilities and we have a recent good track record of developing players.

His potential is enormous. He could easily be for us what Drogba was for Chelsea. You HAVE to gamble on him before he becomes that good, as we won't have a hope in hell's chance of getting him once/if he is.

Yeah. You also have to consider a player's attributes. What has he demonstrated?

Power? Yep
Pace? Yep
Strength? Yep
Work-rate? Yep
Aggression? Yep
Movement? Yep
Eye for goal? Yep

All those attributes will still be there guaranteed next season. The only ones that aren't guaranteed are:

Confidence
Happiness etc

Obviously these can have a big influence on the raw attributes, but we have a really solid squad unity, a couple of Belgians in the team already. We have a good coaching set up and excellent facilities and we have a recent good track record of developing players.

His potential is enormous. He could easily be for us what Drogba was for Chelsea. You HAVE to gamble on him before he becomes that good, as we won't have a hope in hell's chance of getting him once/if he is.

I don't really question his qualities. I question his suitability to our team. In particular how he plays in a better team that is given no space, where he's confronted with two banks of 4 and needs to craft out his chances.

If Levy, AVB & Baldini decide £25m is good business for Benteke, then I'm happy for us to sign him for £25m.

Worst case he's brick, and we sell him for £10m next year. We can afford that.
Best case he's absolutely brilliant, and we sell him to Barca for £40m in three years, after establishing ourselves in the CL and challenging for the title regularly.

Worst case is he's brick/doesn't suit our style of play/needs - offering us the ability to get in behind (which is our challenge from last season and the reason we didn't make top for in my opinion), we don't make top 4, lose GB next summer and miss what could be a unique opportunity to cement a CL place.

That's why we need to break with convention (specifically this season), break the bank and spend big,even if its over the odds, on a proven striker.

Chelsea bank rolled by a sugar daddy owner can obviously take risks that we can't. 25mil for a player off the back of one season in the prem is out right lunacy - the rumored price for Higuain, a player proven over many seasons, is more or less the same ffs

ive already said that im not too happy about the price tag. I said the same about Paulinho but Spurs ended up buying him. I would much rather the club look for cheaper players with potential and talent and even for the striker position i did on numerous occasions suggest Jozy Altidore who i cannot believe joined Sunderland for 6 mill

I also believe we are not in a position to risk 25 mill on Benteke, or 17 mill on Paulinho. However we have no idea what the club are thinking when they do deals like this. Maybe they prefer paying a higher transfer fee and then wages that fit within our structure. Benteke might be happy with 70k a week, whereas Higuain might be wanting 130k a week.

Plus, even more crucial in all this, is the fact that Benteke actually wants to join Spurs it seems. Lets say that Spurs were happy to pay 25 mill plus 130 a week for Higuain, would Higuian actually want to join us? There are so many variables to consider when trying to buy players, im sure its a minefield for all concerned.

like others have said, if the club feel that they want to pursue Benteke at the prices being quoted then we just have to go along with it. We have to hope that he isnt a one season wonder and we have to give him time to settle in with us. Of course its a massive risk but it seems a risk the club are prepared to handle. Levy knows its gonna take a big transfer fee to get Benteke so he must have found the cash from somehwere and sat down and done all the sums.

if we couldnt afford Benteke then im sure we would have gone for a Bony, or Carroll, or Aubemayang etc

Power? Yep
Pace? Yep
Strength? Yep
Work-rate? Yep
Aggression? Yep
Movement? Yep
Eye for goal? Yep

Confidence
Happiness etc

All of those attributes were also attributes that Adebayor displayed in his first season with us.

What made Drogba so good was not just his physical attributes. Obviously, they played a huge part of him being able to bully defenders, so did his mental strength help him ensure that a bad miss would never affect his confidence and he always showed up in the big games. But what was crucial was that he was also a top technical footballer. His first touch was excellent. He used it to bring team mates into play and create space for shots. His finishing was also outstanding, from short and long range, with headers, with both feet, with volleys, with free-kicks.

Take the perfect footballer and strip out the physical attributes and leave just the technical ones. You're left with Gianfranco Zola. If you strip out the technical attributes and leave just the physical ones then you're left with Emile Heskey.

My point is, you can't get by at the top level just by being big, strong, fast and hard working. You will cause problems for defenders but ultimately you will struggle. Most teams that we will play against, especially at home, will be defending deep with lots of men behind the ball and there won't be a lot of space for our strikers, they HAVE to have a good first touch and the ability to finish when being closely marked.

I'm not saying Benteke is Heskey. Far from it. He has demonstrated some very good technical ability. Outstanding technical ability like Drogba? I haven't seen that from him yet. Could we get a player who has Drogba's level of technical skill? There aren't many of those around....

Back