• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Carlyle takeover, was Cain Hoy takeover

Re: Back Page tomorrow Mirror - Lewis to sell 1 Billion Tottenham

I think it means Cain Hoy are serious about taking us over. Obviously we have no idea of Levy/Lewis want to sell
They issued a formal notice of their interest in taking over. This was the 2.6 notice that they issued three days ago. This is just part of that process.

But equally, the distribution of goods and services always involve the use of copyrighted material. You can't say that for example, that a distributor must open their products up to the entire common market, but that the copyright owner is able to restrict where and to whom the products are sold, effectively in the PL rights case, creating a 'cartel' or closed market, which is directly contrary to Articles 81 and 82 (competition law).

Also I believe copy right laws are domestic in nature (i.e. English law and not enacted as a result of an EU directive - although i may be wrong in this case), therefore EU law overrides any incompatibility with the treaty directives.

I don't think the PL would have an enforceable ablility to veto who Sky Italia sold their coverage to within the EU (i.e. Italian residents only) because any producer could use their copyright to infringe competition and freedom of goods and services legislation. I cannot see that being enforced if directly challenged.

The European Court found that the the Premier League's copyright was protected but I am sure whether this covered all broadcasts or just public showings of their material.

The European Court found that the the Premier League's copyright was protected but I am sure whether this covered all broadcasts or just public showings of their material.

But that only applies to the program and not the broadcast of the game itself, as the live footage is not considered to be covered by copyright?
Have I understood that correctly?

I think it means Cain Hoy are serious about taking us over. Obviously we have no idea of Levy/Lewis want to sell

Given the "leak" last week, I think they are. I mean, if you offered a ridiculous amount of money for Lewis's club, yacht, cat, he'd accept it (the Gareth Bale taught us that ;) ). £1bn ought to do it.

The fact that we have a wealthy Spurs season ticket holder involved in the bid suggests there is some serious ITK going on, and we aren't talking POTL. Goldstein would almost certainly know people in the hierachy at the club too. The only doubt in his credentials is that he is East Stand, not rich enough to afford the beef bagels. But maybe it's because he is a proper Tottenham boy....

Exciting times for us right now. Whether they remain so, we'll have to see.

But that only applies to the program and not the broadcast of the game itself, as the live footage is not considered to be covered by copyright?
Have I understood that correctly?
I believe so but the PL would claim that their logo, the score graphic and the graphics for replays constituted their copyrighted material.

Yes we do. They've issued two very strong statements saying they have no intention of selling.

Yes we do. They've issued two very strong statements saying they have no intention of selling.

You would expect nothing less, though. Regardless of whether or not they are prepared to sell.

So those statements don't really tell us anything.

What in your view should be in the statements to make them qualify as very strong? They have said that they are not in takeover discussions with anyone:
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/club-statement-120914/

True, they're not in takeover discussions - or at least, they weren't at time of release.

But the question is whether or not they would be prepared to sell if Cain Hoy do make an offer.

Re: Cain Hoy takeover

Well actually reading the case the European court confirmed merely what constituted the intellectual property of the PL and declined to comment on the complexities of how protected the ip was in various circumstances the ECJ and high court confirmed that it was illegal to prevent customers in the UK from subscribing to PL coverage packages from other eu states

Cain Hoy have said are thinking of making an offer. The clubs say they have help some discussions with them over financing matters but have not discussed a takeover and that they have no intention to sell. All would be true if, for instance, the club was considering selling a share of the club, which whetted the appetite.

I'm trying to think back to the process of going private. At some stage I think Enic made an official offer to buy the remaining shares, something they would be enable to enforce if they held a certain share (75%, 90%?). They don't seem to have enforced the compulsory purchase but I assume they still could at the price of the offer, so existing shareholders wouldn't get the Cain Hoy offer amount if there was an offer accepted. Anyone?

As if we didn't have enough examples of "glazernomics" from football, there are many examples of equity firms buying businesses only to load them with debt. Phones4u is a recent case in point. When an equity firm sees a money making opportunity they will be ruthless about exploiting the business they buy. It is what motivates them. So I would not welcome any firm buying Spurs unless I was very very sure that they had the Club's interest at heart.

True, they're not in takeover discussions - or at least, they weren't at time of release.

But the question is whether or not they would be prepared to sell if Cain Hoy do make an offer.
I'd have thought no at this stage, simply because Enic are unlikely to get as good a price now, with the CPO hiatus, the lack of scheme funding and the general uncertainty, as they would with all these uncertainties resolved. At that stage it would be a question of whether Enic think that the price they could achieve was more than they think they can achieve by continuing to own the asset and working it. The asset being the club of course. From what I've read there is currently a big difference between what Cain Hoy would currently offer and what Enic think it's worth. I'd imagine this gap would increase rather than decrease once the stadium is built.
It seems a very strange time to me for them to make this offer in any event, assuming they are serious and not merely getting their name known.

I believe so but the PL would claim that their logo, the score graphic and the graphics for replays constituted their copyrighted material.

I think some foreign channels use their own graphics don't they? Or am I making that up? Might be, don't know anymore!

Well actually reading the case the European court confirmed merely what constituted the intellectual property of the PL and declined to comment on the complexities of how protected the ip was in various circumstances the ECJ and high court confirmed that it was illegal to prevent customers in the UK from subscribing to PL coverage packages from other eu states
Have you got a link to that?

I'd have thought no at this stage, simply because Enic are unlikely to get as good a price now, with the CPO hiatus, the lack of scheme funding and the general uncertainty, as they would with all these uncertainties resolved. At that stage it would be a question of whether Enic think that the price they could achieve was more than they think they can achieve by continuing to own the asset and working it. The asset being the club of course. From what I've read there is currently a big difference between what Cain Hoy would currently offer and what Enic think it's worth. I'd imagine this gap would increase rather than decrease once the stadium is built.
It seems a very strange time to me for them to make this offer in any event, assuming they are serious and not merely getting their name known.

Can see why a savvy investor would try to move now before the full potential of THFC is fully realised (in material rather than football terms) if they believe that the plan and process behind the growth is a sound one.

Back