• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Carlyle takeover, was Cain Hoy takeover

Re: Back Page tomorrow Mirror - Lewis to sell 1 Billion Tottenham

As an expat in Canada who can't buy season tickets - I would spend a stupid amount of money for all Spurs broadcasts. Senior team, training, U21 - I want every game streaming and on demand and I would pay whatever they asked.

Won't happen. It's only precious to the grass roots English fans who are happy for the FA to protect lower league clubs. 3pm isn't attractive to the rest of the world either (9am in the USA? 11pm in Asia? Ok for the Middle East but they stay in all the time anyway cos there are no pubs).

I could see PL matches all being played at different times and as PPV. Two at each time slot:
12.45 Sat
5.30 Sat
7.30 Sat
1.30 Sun
4.00 Sun

makes sense, although fans are happy to watch at all times, I'll still watch nfl games at 2am

Yeah but online broadcasts would be harder to restrict to overseas viewers. The restriction on Sat 3pm broadcasts in England would have to change.

The thing is the restrictions put in place by the PL are not enforceable by law in any respect. My mate has Sky Italia and he lives in the UK. People miss a trick in this country. It's only by choice that they restrict themselves to Sky, BT Sport etc.

The pub landlady who won her case in court against Sky is a case in point.

You cannot restrict sale of goods and services within the EU by law.

I'm surprised it hasn't been challenged further, but then again, the appetite for fiddling about with foreign TV channels isn't really there in this country I guess :)

The thing is the restrictions put in place by the PL are not enforceable by law in any respect. My mate has Sky Italia and he lives in the UK. People miss a trick in this country. It's only by choice that they restrict themselves to Sky, BT Sport etc.

I'm surprised it hasn't been challenged further, but then again, the appetite for fiddling about with foreign TV channels isn't really there in this country I guess :)

I think that we are talking at cross purposes. I know that people can and do watch English football, in England on foreign broadcasts. Online broadcasts would just make this a lot easier to do.

The pub landlady only partially won her case. The Premier League still maintain that it is an infringement of their intellectual property rights.

The European court said that while live matches were not protected by copyright, any surrounding media, such as any opening video sequence, the Premier League anthem, pre-recorded films showing highlights of recent Premier League matches and various graphics, were "works" protected by copyright.

To use any of these extra parts associated for a broadcast, a pub would need the permission of the Premier League.

This was the legal ruling that the Premier League reiterated after Friday's court judgement: "Should Mrs Murphy, or any other publican, use European Economic Area foreign satellite systems to show Premier League football on their premises without our authority and outside the scope of our authorisation, they make themselves liable for us to take action against them in both the civil and criminal courts."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17150054

it's such a faff though

Apple have shown with the iTunes Store that if you make something easy there are plenty of people that will pay rather than **** around trying to get something for free

if I could just give the pl £20 every weekend and watch the spurs game on my iPad (with or without commentary/analysis) I'd be **** a hoop, I'm sure I'm not alone

There is definitely big money to be had by selling the online rights but I think that there are a few issues that they need to work around. How do you sell them without affecting the price of the TV rights? How do you deal with international pricing and variations in value in different territories? Would making Sat 3pm games available have an impact on attendances?

Can anyone shed some light on why we announce this? Is a takeover on the cards now, despite what the club announced earlier?
It's a legal requirement following Cain Hoys announcement last week. I do not think that it makes a takeover any more or less likely.

Takeover

OFFEREE: Tottenham Hotspur LimitedOffer period commenced: 12:54 12-Sep-2014
Rule 2.10 information to follow
OFFEROR: Cain Hoy Enterprises LLC
Offeror identified: 12:54 12-Sep-2014
Rule 2.6 deadline: 17:00 10-Oct-2014
Disclosure of dealings and positions in this offeror is not required

http://www.thetakeoverpanel.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/code.pdf

15 September 2014

Tottenham Hotspur Limited (“THFC”)

Rule 2.10 Announcement

In accordance with Rule 2.10 of the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers (the "Code"), THFC confirms that, as at the close of business on 12 September 2014, it had 213,102,209 ordinary shares of 5 pence each in issue. The International Securities Identification Number for THFC shares is GB0008962986.

It's a legal requirement following Cain Hoys announcement last week. I do not think that it makes a takeover any more or less likely.

I think it means Cain Hoy are serious about taking us over. Obviously we have no idea of Levy/Lewis want to sell

The European court said that while live matches were not protected by copyright, any surrounding media, such as any opening video sequence, the Premier League anthem, pre-recorded films showing highlights of recent Premier League matches and various graphics, were "works" protected by copyright.

To use any of these extra parts associated for a broadcast, a pub would need the permission of the Premier League.

This was the legal ruling that the Premier League reiterated after Friday's court judgement: "Should Mrs Murphy, or any other publican, use European Economic Area foreign satellite systems to show Premier League football on their premises without our authority and outside the scope of our authorisation, they make themselves liable for us to take action against them in both the civil and criminal courts."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17150054

I don't the PL can enforce copyright in this way.

PL sold the right to use their copyright material to e.g. Sky Italia. Sky Italia under Article 42 are free to sell their product to anyone within the EU and under wider agreements to anyone within the EEA and any citizen of the EU is free to purchase a subscription from any EU provider.

So regardless that the court confirmed that highlights etc are PL's property and can't be used without its permission, the fact of the matter is that PL sells permission to a provider to use its material. That provider cannot under EU law restrict who it sells its products to within the EU.

I think it means Cain Hoy are serious about taking us over. Obviously we have no idea of Levy/Lewis want to sell

It just means we have given the legally required information we have to, in order for Cain Hoy to consider making an offer.

I.e. we've announced how many ordinary shares are in issue and the price per share. So Cain Hoy know how many shares have been issued in THFC and what nominal share price is.

They have a deadline by which time they have to make an offer. It's down to them as to whether they make an offer or not.

I don't the PL can enforce copyright in this way.

PL sold the right to use their copyright material to e.g. Sky Italia. Sky Italia under Article 42 are free to sell their product to anyone within the EU and under wider agreements to anyone within the EEA and any citizen of the EU is free to purchase a subscription from any EU provider.

So regardless that the court confirmed that highlights etc are PL's property and can't be used without its permission, the fact of the matter is that PL sells permission to a provider to use its material. That provider cannot under EU law restrict who it sells its products to within the EU.
Copyright law doesn't work like that. Sky have sold distribution rights to Sky Italia, but retain the copyright and the ability to block its use wherever, whenever and however it chooses.

Copyright law doesn't work like that. Sky have sold distribution rights to Sky Italia, but retain the copyright and the ability to block its use wherever, whenever and however it chooses.

But equally, the distribution of goods and services always involve the use of copyrighted material. You can't say that for example, that a distributor must open their products up to the entire common market, but that the copyright owner is able to restrict where and to whom the products are sold, effectively in the PL rights case, creating a 'cartel' or closed market, which is directly contrary to Articles 81 and 82 (competition law).

Also I believe copy right laws are domestic in nature (i.e. English law and not enacted as a result of an EU directive - although i may be wrong in this case), therefore EU law overrides any incompatibility with the treaty directives.

I don't think the PL would have an enforceable ablility to veto who Sky Italia sold their coverage to within the EU (i.e. Italian residents only) because any producer could use their copyright to infringe competition and freedom of goods and services legislation. I cannot see that being enforced if directly challenged.

Or how stable Cain Hoy are, they might be another Michael Knighton

edit: although ironically Knightons plan wasn't much difference to the Hicks/Gillette & Glazers take overs, how things change

Re: Cain Hoy takeover

i thought going private and off the exchange means nothing like this would need to be revealed?

Back