• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

His goal could be very bad news for Spurs, on many levels.

AVB will be under pressure to play him. He will shoot more, AVB will not be able to sell him or loan him out, anytime soon.

We will have to endue at least couple of years of wayward shots , with no goals and sloppy passing. While our opponents play wide players with genuine class.

I think it unlikely he will get his fair share of assists and goals. The trouble is , his negative count rate will ahve to really add up, before he isx demoted in the squad to his rightful place.

That will cost us. So his goal could be very bad news for us.

Well he's been our best right sided player so far this season, that alone should get him the start. Not sure one goal will chance avb's thoughts about Townsend. I always hope a manager is far more grounded than the British media, who tend to **** themselves into a frenzy whenever any English player does anything half decent.

Thank you and i enjoy talking with you as well. Tottenham gives me nothing but utter misery but i just can not kick the habit.

Always enjoy seeing your name on the left of my screen Ben.

Decades of misery from this club yet still garner massive enjoyment out of every goal, win and achievement, whether at home, at the pub or whl. Blind optimism during summer windows. If that stopped, I might as well stop this altogether, I'm too old to be doing things that make me miserable (and everyone should have the same attitude for everything they do in life).

His goal could be very bad news for Spurs, on many levels.

AVB will be under pressure to play him. He will shoot more, AVB will not be able to sell him or loan him out, anytime soon.

We will have to endue at least couple of years of wayward shots , with no goals and sloppy passing. While our opponents play wide players with genuine class.

I think it unlikely he will get his fair share of assists and goals. The trouble is , his negative count rate will ahve to really add up, before he isx demoted in the squad to his rightful place.

That will cost us. So his goal could be very bad news for us.

Wow, you have such a tremendous world outlook. So there is no chance that he will improve as a player, grow in confidence and contribute to the team at all? But perhaps you are right. We could look at what happened the other night and as we are relegated from the Blue Square Conference Townsend's England debut will be the moment that ruined Tottenham Hostpur.

All is very plausible though .

We are 7th, he has no assists or goals. the hype from the goal could extend his stay in the team at the expense of Lamela or Lennon who are better players IMO.

Lamela is being slowly bedded in and when he has appeared he has not set the world alight and Lennon has been injured since after the opening game of the season against Palace. Oh, and we are also 3 points from the top of the table.

I understand the essence of what Colin is saying. I have long said that I don't think we'll finish top 4 if we are playing both Townsend and Rose in such key positions. Townsend has had a good start to the season and his confidence will rightly be high after his goal on Friday, but it doesn't change my view that he is not really a top 4 starting eleven player. To that extent, I can see Colin's point that his goal/performance on Friday will prolong his time in the starting eleven and for those who think he offers less than Lennon and Lamela, that isn't good news. One thing I accept is that Hodgson and AVB both seem to really rate him, and given their far greater knowledge than mine, I must be missing something. I think Townsend's start to this season has been similar to that enjoyed by Raheem Sterling last season, with the difference being that Sterling bagged a few goals/assists. But does his goal against poor opposition on Friday make me think we're looking at the next Bale? Afraid not.

All is very plausible though .

We are 7th, he has no assists or goals. the hype from the goal could extend his stay in the team at the expense of Lamela or Lennon who are better players IMO.

I agree, was watching SSN just now and you would have thought he won the world cup for England. Once again, the English press going nuts over an average player with a lot of promise. Same old.

a little too much drama from colin, but he does have a point - it was against montegnegro and we have lennon and lamela in that position, so it does present somewhat of a challenge to AVB.

however am i the only one to feel that the hype will die down and townsend finally gets scrutinized for every game, especially the predicted selfishness/wastefulness in tougher ones? i'm like just expecting this townsend love in to revert to the norm as more games gets played.

good player nonetheless, especially for drab ol england. world beater? he has still a lot to do.

All of which begs the question, exactly how big do we think Andros is set to become? Could he even be our next Gareth Bale? Very unlikely, but at the other extreme what are the chances of him turning out to be our next David Bentley?

Probably best to pose the question in terms of his future transfer value to us, eg

Over £50m?

£30-£49m?

£20m-£29m?

£10m-19m?

Less than £10m?

As Yiddo suggests, right now he's almost certainly in the £10-£19m bracket, but that can swiftly change. I'd go for £20-29m max.

Would be good if someone can do a poll - have tried myself but cannot seem to make it work.

All of which begs the question, exactly how big do we think Andros is set to become? Could he even be our next Gareth Bale? Very unlikely, but at the other extreme what are the chances of him turning out to be our next David Bentley?

Probably best to pose the question in terms of his future transfer value to us, eg

Over £50m?

£30-£49m?

£20m-£29m?

£10m-19m?

Less than £10m?

As Yiddo suggests, right now he's almost certainly in the £10-£19m bracket, but that can swiftly change. I'd go for £20-29m max.

Would be good if someone can do a poll - have tried myself but cannot seem to make it work.

Just as a point of context, i don't think Andros Townsend could ever turn out to be our next David Bentley. We paid big money for David Bentley and he failed to live up to it. We didn't pay any transfer fee for Andros Townsend. Sure he'll have cost us training fees and wages but i can't see that approaching anywhere near the amount we wasted on Bentley.

a little too much drama from colin, but he does have a point - it was against montegnegro and we have lennon and lamela in that position, so it does present somewhat of a challenge to AVB.

however am i the only one to feel that the hype will die down and townsend finally gets scrutinized for every game, especially the predicted selfishness/wastefulness in tougher ones? i'm like just expecting this townsend love in to revert to the norm as more games gets played.

good player nonetheless, especially for drab ol england. world beater? he has still a lot to do.

It happens to just about every young good player.

After some impressive performances and some hype opponents figure out ways to stop them or focus more of their attention on them. We've seen this repeatedly for ourselves and for other clubs. Almost no young players go from strength to strength continuously.

Also, just by random chance good form will at some point be followed by worse/bad form. This will happen with Townsend too. And almost as certainly there will be people blaming Townsend or AVB or the coaches for this.

For Townsend it will be about how he can keep reinventing himself, adapt to less space and more attention, become more effective and become involved in play. The good thing about him is that he is quite multifaceted. He can play on either flank, he can cut inside and shoot with either foot, he can put a cross in with either foot and he can take players on both with pace and with skill. He still has areas to improve of course, but that raw talent will do him a lot of good and will make him more difficult to stop than more one dimensional players.

lamela still on the right for me.

and personally i would still stick with siggy on left but having a right foot threat does make townsend just as a good an option......because of the added benefit of stretching the opposition

still siggy cause we need goals from that position as solly aint doing that at the mo

Well it's difficult...I still think a fully-fit Azza is total, and utter, class. I have not forgotten him! Sooooooo...my preference would be to see them BOTH fit and for Andros and Rose to work together on the left, with Lennon and Walker on the right knowing that both can interchange...I still see Lamela as someone who can potentially drift behind the front...I think he will take time to fully develop into the Prem anyway, although again I have to say i rate him very very highly. We're in a good spot right now player-wise IMO...

Would agree with this, Lennon on the right Townsend on the left and lets get some width back into our game again.

lamela still on the right for me.

and personally i would still stick with siggy on left but having a right foot threat does make townsend just as a good an option......because of the added benefit of stretching the opposition

still siggy cause we need goals from that position as solly aint doing that at the mo

The problem with Siggy is that his best position is behind a central striker just like Eriksen. I would rather play a natural/pacier player on the left than Siggy

you'r going to put lamela at the centre of our creative progression based on what?

Based on AVB saying he has experience in playing in that position.

I guess in reality Lamela should play where ever he proves he is most effective in comparison to the rest of the squad

Back