• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Part of me feels like he is never going to step up a level. But the other part of me is scared he will at another club and we will learn to regret it. As a player he has a lot of qualities. The ability to shoot with both feet, but whenever he takes shot on for us he skies it. Maybe he is just trying way too hard. He seems to love the club and is desperate to stay.

I would like to see him here this season, stay fit and see what Poch can do with him. And then see where we are next summer. Kind of how I feel about Lamela as well.

Am I the only person on here who has not given up on Townsend and still believes he can be a success at Spurs?

There was a run of games that got him into the England reckoning, I still think he can find that again, and when he does I think he will be an asset to the club. I think he has the tools just needs to improve his decision making. I for one am desperate for him not to be sold this summer.

You're not the only one! I'm an eternal optimist though and have a soft spot for players that come through our youth. That's not to say that I think we should play them regardless of form, but is simply my opinion that youth players can be very important to the squad. It gives a bit of identity and a unity. What I like about him is that he clearly wants to play for Spurs and that's all he is thinking about. His father's comments today show that.

However, I don't think he will ever be a "world-class" player or even a top 4 player. He will be a good PL player and maybe international squad player as well. I think he has recently only got into the England squad based on loyalty that Roy is showing him. Whether that is enough for us I don't know. Unless he improves on the areas that have been pointed out numerous times, he will just stay a top 10 player which is where I think he is currently. He's at a similar level to Routeledge now.

So long as he keeps trying hard, is happy to be a squad player, I don't see a reason to get rid unless we get a decent offer for him that will allow us to replace with an upgrade or similar level of player. He's cost us nothing directly apart from the wage that he is on. He can do a job. If we get £15m for him, I'd probably take it but only if there was a replacement to the squad identified (Njie). I would put in a sell-on clause as well because I think he is the type of player that will always look to get to the next level and just won't quite get there.

I'd give him another season. Like Gazzasboot I'm also the eternal optimist. There's another aspect to this too, however. If he makes the England squad for the 2016 Euros and plays well, his stock will go up. If he's already playing well for us, we keep him. If not, we stand to make a bit more by selling him. He won't command £15m right now, but he might next year.

I'd replace him this summer if we could convince him to leave. He's not good enough or has shown anything for us to suggest he ever will be, he'll turn 25 this season and is unlikely to get any better with age.

I want him to succeed like I want all our youth products to, especially seeing a as he's a genuine Spurs fan and local lad, but ultimately like Livermore before him there comes a time when you have to cut your losses - we need to improve our wide forward position and Townsend is the worst player in that position in the squad. Sentiment aside it's a no brainer

Should have sold him for £15m or whatever when he played for England, I doubt he will ever climb that peak again. He has the tools to be excellent but is consistently consistently consistently bad.

Then again, what else is he supposed to say? He's canny enough to withhold the truth.. Not everyone is Harry Redknapp you know.

Then again, what else is he supposed to say? He's canny enough to withhold the truth.. Not everyone is Harry Redknapp you know.
Townsends dad? He's not a football manager. If his son wants to leave or isn't happy or knows he's surplus to requirements, what does he achieve by saying he's going to stay?

Townsends dad? He's not a football manager. If his son wants to leave or isn't happy or knows he's surplus to requirements, what does he achieve by saying he's going to stay?

So what? If any deal is ongoing surely making it public knowledge could put its completion in jeopardy? Why would he blab about it and potentially upset any of the parties involved?

He said he didnt want to leave, big difference, Troy & Andros don't make the decision

Andros most certainly will make that decision if and when it comes to it.

Even if he is told by Poch that he is surplus to requirements, he can still do what Michael Dawson did in AVB's first season - when he turned down a move to QPR, fought for his place and proved AVB wrong.

So what? If any deal is ongoing surely making it public knowledge could put its completion in jeopardy? Why would he blab about it and potentially upset any of the parties involved?
He doesn't have to talk about any deal, but at the same time he wouldn't say he is staying. Usually the line is that will have to see what happens, will hold talks with the club about future etc when a player's future is unsure. I also read an article yesterday mentioning Poch saying Townsend is staying and Lennon will go, but didn't see a direct quote.

It does make me laugh that whenever people on here want a player to come or leave and there are quotes from real sources not to their liking its always 'Yeah but they would say that'. Yes there are times when people in football don't tell the truth in the media,but also a lot of the time they do - something that frequently seems to be hard to accept by many on this board if it doesn't suit....

I can imagine come deadline day, Townsend will not be a spurs player, he doesn't get used enough and he will go to a Villa/West ham type club and it looks like Pritchard will take his role in the squad.

I can imagine come deadline day, Townsend will not be a spurs player, he doesn't get used enough and he will go to a Villa/West ham type club and it looks like Pritchard will take his role in the squad.

We've only got two RWFs - Lamela and Townsend

Pritchard will be Eriksen's cover at ACM.

I think we'll give him another 12 months. And he definitely won't go to Villa bearing in mind what Troy says about Sherwood.

We've only got two RWFs - Lamela and Townsend

Pritchard will be Eriksen's cover at ACM.

I think we'll give him another 12 months. And he definitely won't go to Villa bearing in mind what Troy says about Sherwood.

I think we want to sell but he's digging his heels in and refusing to go - which of course is his right

Back