• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Merson is an idiot no doubt . Still think Townsend made a fool of himself though with his Twitter response, I mean he scored one goal in a friendly suddrnly he thinks he is Pele . Merson is right, Townsend shouldn't worry about Merson, he should buckle down an work on his game , if he has a good tournament or win something maybe then he could twitter sometginh like he did . I actually agree withMerson on this one, Townsend acted childish

I agree with you, I have no time for Merson but Townsend needs to come back to earth and work on his game ( which has many faults).

No it doesn't, have you not heard or seen where two things that happen in a short space of time yet polar opposites which therefore sum up a situation before.

All your doing is trying to beat down what I said and trying to make me out as some farcical plastic because they don't see it how you see it.

My offer stands, lets go through the whole England game and see how many lung busting runs compared to losing it we can find.

It is my perception of Andros Townsend that he is trying to emulate Bale's breakout season by playing for himself and not for the team. Unfortunately for Andros Townsend, a lot of fans know this. This is something I hope Poch and coach out of him.

You don't need to go through the whole game, he was on for 20 minutes. He made an impact in the right way, end of. He lost the ball once or twice, so what? That's what dribblers do, Ronaldo even now still does it.

Your final point is a load of nonsense, playing for himself?! Er no, dont make me laugh. Ronaldo is someone who plays for himself, whenever someone scores for Madrid that isnt him a lot of the time he barely celebrates. Andros looks absolutely made up anytime someone scores for us. He's just a direct player who isn't at Bale's standard currently.

Hes shown sign for the past couple of months that he is shooting less and passing more. Patience is required, but of course that is a forbidden word for many....

There's a grain of truth there though.. Townsend should focus on his football, his mentality is so fragile, forget about Merson and worry about scoring goals for Tottenham FFS.
Lol focus on football, what do you think he's sending Twitter messages whilst training? When Im on Facebook in the evening should I be focusing on my office work for the next week?

I swear some people forget footballers are actually human...

But anyway, like everyone, I hope Andros can kick on and become what he has the potential to be. In fairness, when he had that last England explosion, he went on to become a very important member of AVB's side until he went into that pit behind the ads at the Park Lane end (something which I feel has left a lasting impression on him, if only posturally)...good luck to the lad, but time is running out.

he is 23 years old, i dont see running out of time being an issue at all atm

i think he has had to deal with a few difficult things in his career so far. He had that gambling problem that made the FA ban him from an under 21 tournament, injury prevented him from making it to the World cup Brazil after he did so much to help England to get there. They must have been difficult moments for the lad

What you said about him almost trying too hard, being over wound up before and during a match i think is definitely true. He needs to calm down, be more thoughtful in his play, and then I think he will make better on field decisions which will benefit the team

I think the kid, yes he still is a kid in footballing terms, has a lot to offer. I trust Poch to work on Andros to get the best out of him.

Just because he prefers it, does not necessarily mean it is his best position...

I tend to agree with jimmy that Andros looks a better prospect on the left.

He wants to cut inside and shoot, be the goal scorer. Being the creator isn't part of his mentality. Getting past the FB to provide crosses or cutbacks isn't going to happen.

I do find it interesting that Andros Townsend went into the England game more thinking about himself and wanting to prove Merson wrong for two weeks than play for the team.

One of our own being ripped apart again after scoring for England. Any other team would be embracing it.

I do find it interesting that Andros Townsend went into the England game more thinking about himself and wanting to prove Merson wrong for two weeks than play for the team.
Clearly all he - and we - need now is for Merson to give him the verbals prior to every Spurs game.

Townsend biggest problem is the same as Lamella IMO.... Their electable and rarely do anything other than what they always do. If either can add genuine variety and composure they could be a great team player

Townsend for spurs either goes outside a man and stands it up to an area or he cuts in and spanks a shot

When he doesn't something different and plays unpredictable he can be a threat as shown with England where he is more of an unknown quantity

So taking Merson's criticism as motivation to perform well is a bad thing? The only way you rebuff that criticism is by playing well and the only way to play well is to make contribution to the team. Perhaps he shouldn't have responded on Twitter
but it seems bizarre to me, and others like Yiddo who wrote One of our own being ripped apart again after scoring for England. Any other team would be embracing it, that Townsend is getting stick for making a significant contribution to the result of a game.

Reactions: DTA
What an odd comment. I didn't realise you knew Townsend so well that you knew what he's been thinking for the past two weeks. Also can't think of many players who would hear a pundit question their selection and not want to stick it up at them, we must be critical of that mustn't we.

He played for the team, got us a draw we wouldn't of otherwise achieved. Get over it....

he is 23 years old, i dont see running out of time being an issue at all atm

i think he has had to deal with a few difficult things in his career so far. He had that gambling problem that made the FA ban him from an under 21 tournament, injury prevented him from making it to the World cup Brazil after he did so much to help England to get there. They must have been difficult moments for the lad

What you said about him almost trying too hard, being over wound up before and during a match i think is definitely true. He needs to calm down, be more thoughtful in his play, and then I think he will make better on field decisions which will benefit the team

I think the kid, yes he still is a kid in footballing terms, has a lot to offer. I trust Poch to work on Andros to get the best out of him.

I agree that this is the best situation for him, and let us hope he can take it!

So taking Merson's criticism as motivation to perform well is a bad thing? The only way you rebuff that criticism is by playing well and the only way to play well is to make contribution to the team. Perhaps he shouldn't have responded on Twitter
but it seems bizarre to me, and others like Yiddo who wrote One of our own being ripped apart again after scoring for England. Any other team would be embracing it, that Townsend is getting stick for making a significant contribution to the result of a game.

Where did I **rip him apart**.. you guys not half like making mountains out of mole hills don't you. Proper diva's.

I think his reaction to Merson's criticism is normal and was surprised to see such a reaction in the media.Its good to see a player show some passion in the face of such a harsh comment. Townsend is a good prem player and as said one of our own, perhaps working under Poch and learning he could be a really good player. I'd rather see us have the likes of him and Kane come through than waste money on getting a similiar player.

I also think that is harsh, do you think other English/all players don't focus on themselves first, its natural.

Back