• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Great goal.. but within 2 minutes we saw his worse side as he tried to take on the world lost the ball and they countered and nearly scored. Until he cuts this from his game he just cannot be relied on. Hopefully Poch trains this our of him.

I was intrigued to watch the John Barnes documentary last night. While not seeking to put him and Townsend in the same league skill-wise, it did nevertheless strike me that there were some similarities between them - only in reverse!

Barnes was a world class superstar for Watford and Liverpool. For England, he was at best "average" according to Graham Taylor. Townsend does the business for England, but for Spurs is generally rubbish. Why should this be the case?

In Barnes' case, it was explained that for Liverpool he had a lot of freedom and few defensive responsibilities. When he was asked to play a more disciplined role for England, his whole game went to pot. Is Townsend equally stymied by asking him to be more disciplined and concentrate too much on the defensive side of his game? By unshackling him, would we see a better Townsend?

Food for thought?

Great goal.. but within 2 minutes we saw his worse side as he tried to take on the world lost the ball and they countered and nearly scored. Until he cuts this from his game he just cannot be relied on. Hopefully Poch trains this our of him.

That's what you get with direct dribblers though, and its the same with Lamela. They take risks, and don't always come off but you need someone with that ability in your team to offer something different otherwise will just be a load of predictable passing most of the time. You also saw him dribble half the pitch at pace and create an opportunity - of course, you fail to mention that though....

I was intrigued to watch the John Barnes documentary last night. While not seeking to put him and Townsend in the same league skill-wise, it did nevertheless strike me that there were some similarities between them - only in reverse!

Barnes was a world class superstar for Watford and Liverpool. For England, he was at best "average" according to Graham Taylor. Townsend does the business for England, but for Spurs is generally rubbish. Why should this be the case?

In Barnes' case, it was explained that for Liverpool he had a lot of freedom and few defensive responsibilities. When he was asked to play a more disciplined role for England, his whole game went to pot. Is Townsend equally stymied by asking him to be more disciplined and concentrate too much on the defensive side of his game? By unshackling him, would we see a better Townsend?

Food for thought?

I doubt it is as simple as tactical .. more likely its a part of it, but probably mostly mental

e.g. In my opinion Gerrard is a scouser at heart, and at his prime he played 10% above his talent level for Pool, something I never saw when he played for England. People may be slightly more motivated for club or country, add in the pressure aspects, do they feel more or less pressure when playing in one format over the other.

That ability to lift yourself 5-10% out of sheer motivation/will/joy is what separates very good from good.

Food for thought?

Here's a thought for you...

Maybe he goes onto the pitch for England knowing that if he makes a mistake, there will not be a load of whatsits ready - almost willing him to make that mistake - for the opportunity to hurl abuse at him.

The guy has scored a fantastic goal against one of the best defences in the world, yet if you go through these posts you will see many trying to debase it through one excuse or another.

Great goal,

still don't rate him though .
And he is now so high on himself beacuse of one goal "i showed the critics wrong" , "I want a new contract" . He reminds me of Jenas, 1 good game out of 10 . I am happy to have him as he is decent backup , english and relatively young .

Not a starter for me though, such a liability and so limited skill. He can do the stepover and have decent pace , thats about it

Here's a thought for you...

Maybe he goes onto the pitch for England knowing that if he makes a mistake, there will not be a load of whatsits ready - almost willing him to make that mistake - for the opportunity to hurl abuse at him.

The guy has scored a fantastic goal against one of the best defences in the world, yet if you go through these posts you will see many trying to debase it through one excuse or another.

i don't think that post is in any way an accurate summary of the situation as he is probably less well regarded by fans outside of Tottenham, at least in my experience - not to mention the whole "proving the critics wrong" stuff he has come out with since the goal would show that he is aware there's plenty who have been saying he doesn't deserve to even be in the England squad.

i don't think that post is in any way an accurate summary of the situation as he is probably less well regarded by fans outside of Tottenham, at least in my experience - not to mention the whole "proving the critics wrong" stuff he has come out with since the goal would show that he is aware there's plenty who have been saying he doesn't deserve to even be in the England squad.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Just one comment: Townsend is talking about the pundits, not the England fans. Can you possibly not agree that Townsend is given much more slack by fans when wearing the England shirt as opposed to our lillywhite? Just go through this very post...

I am not saying that he has not been underwhelming on so many occasions; just simply stating the situation.

Great goal,

still don't rate him though .
And he is now so high on himself beacuse of one goal "i showed the critics wrong" , "I want a new contract" . He reminds me of Jenas, 1 good game out of 10 . I am happy to have him as he is decent backup , english and relatively young .

Not a starter for me though, such a liability and so limited skill. He can do the stepover and have decent pace , thats about it

The old saying " talk is cheap" and he is foolish to get caught up in it. Instead of running off at the mouth he needs to get his head down and start to show he is worth his place in our team, because imo he has shown nothing for us after 70 games to show that he is a star.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Just one comment: Townsend is talking about the pundits, not the England fans. Can you possibly not agree that Townsend is given much more slack by fans when wearing the England shirt as opposed to our lillywhite? Just go through this very post...

I am not saying that he has not been underwhelming on so many occasions; just simply stating the situation.

He plays better (at least in terms of goals scored) for England than for Spurs. We see him every week and from that we can see his flaws and areas of improvement needed in his game. For every time a Spurs fan moans about Townsend shooting instead of passing, England fans see that as a slight moment of excitement, because generally they are poor to watch.

Back